PDA

View Full Version : TTM, Prazipro, and Whats next??

mattyg18
08/02/2016, 08:34 PM
So i'm 6 days into the TTM with a small Blue Tang that I think had ich. Still on the fence about that. I did so much reading up on this topic that i'm totally confused. I did not add prazipro to the initial tank but added to the second and third transfer. Now i'm reading that I should have skipped a transfer so i'm planning on skipping the treatment on the next transfer. He's not eating so much and now I know why(the prazipro).

I initially started the TTM on my 10gal QT which was up, running, and fully cycled. Picked up a second 10gal setup for the TTM.

My question is.....when the TTM is over, and hopefully my Blue Tang is "ich free" and eating again, do I put him back in a newly setup 10gal tank since I no longer have a cycled QT? Or do I put him right into my DT? I know my DT is clear of ich. Its only 4 months old and has 2 healthy small clowns in it and a bunch of corals (all which are doing well).

Also wanted to know what you guys recommend with the prazipro. Now i've read its better to wait until after the TTM. Since i've already started it I was planning on one more dosage after skipping the next transfer which would leave me to dose on the last transfer. So once the TTM is over do I dose anymore once he's back in the QT or is the prazipro finished?

I'm just worried now because the new tank setup is going to go through a cycle again and he's going to be in the middle of that.

I'm sure i'm not the first one on this topic although I can't seem to find anything about "after the TTM". All the discussion seems to be on the TTM itself.

As always...thanks in advance

CarrieB
08/02/2016, 08:52 PM
Most people have a separate QT tank that they leave up and cycled. After TTM the fish go into "long term" QT for observation only with the duration depending on the person. I didn't have a QT when I did TTM the first time, so I just moved the fish back into the other tank and used Prime to handle the ammonia until I was ready to put them in the DT. They were two very tiny clowns so not much bioload and it was fine.

Did you QT your clowns? If not, I don't think you can be sure your tank is ich free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattyg18
08/02/2016, 08:57 PM
I didn't QT my clowns but I got them from a friend who breeds them and I know they were free and clear of Ich.

Do you think the one small blue tang would be ok going back into one of the 10gal tanks with some prime and me closely monitoring the parameters? Other thing I can do is take water, LR, and some filter media from my DT. I would imagine that would speed up the cycle in a new 10gal.

I'd hate to lose him in a cycle after saving him with TTM.

What do you think?

mets17127
08/02/2016, 09:05 PM
If you are only worried about ich, and you don't plan on taking out the clowns and letting the tank go fallow, just put him back in the dt after ttm.
As for the prazipro, ice read that it's ineffectual in the water after 2 days. I personally do ttm on my new fish and add prazipro to each new transfer.

mattyg18
08/02/2016, 09:08 PM
I probably should have mentioned that the blue tang was never in my DT at all. i picked him up about a week and half ago from a LFS and he went right into my QT. Thats when I noticed the white spots on him. With that said my DT is free and clear of ich.

My thoughts were to leave him in the 10 gal for 7-10 days and if he looks good and eating well then just put him in the DT. I will just treat the makeshift QT with prime and keep an eye on it.

Does that sound reasonable?

CarrieB
08/03/2016, 04:41 AM
That's what I'd do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmbyrnes
08/03/2016, 05:54 AM
The purpose of TTM is to break the ich lifecycle. Properly done, it is 99%+ effective. Prazipro does nothing for ich, but many use it to treat flukes and other parasites as part of the TTM process.
Once TTM is complete, you still need to observe the fish for 2 - 6 weeks in a separate QT tank. As stated above, if you are still stocking your tank, a fully cycled QT is a good idea.
During the observation period, you are looking for other symptoms and behaviors that indicate the fish is not 100% healthy.
You want it to be eating, swimming, strong and rested before it joins the DT community.

mattyg18
08/03/2016, 07:04 PM
I had a fully cycled QT which is where he initially went into. From there i noticed the white spots within two days. It appears that he's getting better and I saw him eating a little seaweed today which I was very happy about. The only problem I have now is that I no longer have a fully cycled QT available to put him in since the QT became one of the two tanks i'm using for the TTM.

kmbyrnes
08/04/2016, 05:58 AM
That is an unlucky twist.
If your DT is ich free now, you want to keep it that way. You have some time to get the QT tank on its way to being cycled. Maybe use some bacteria additives ( I have no experience there ).

You should have 2 TTM tanks/containers that are separate from the tank you will use for QT. These containers and everything associated with them need to be sterilized between transfers.
From your post, it sounds like you need one more container. You could use a 5 gallon bucket in a pinch.