PDA

View Full Version : Finally my dream upgrade

11mixedreef
08/03/2016, 07:18 AM
So before I get into anything about the tank I want to hear your perspective on how you guys move tanks I'm upgrading from a 110 that had been up and established for almost a year how do you safely move them to their new bigger home do you use dr tims or something similar is keeping the rock submerged enough approx 100 lbs and yes I'm going for a minimalist approach for this new 6ft by 30 in tank and wash the sand or start with new stag alive Fiji pink and oolitic mix my wife votes for the latter option give me thoughts and feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psirex
08/03/2016, 07:35 AM
Will the new tank be in a new location?

posted using 1s and 0s

11mixedreef
08/03/2016, 08:43 AM
Hope same place same house just swiping out my 110 for a 300

dave.m
08/03/2016, 09:03 AM
Place subject in bucket within tank one. Carry bucket over to tank two and submerge. Remove subject and place in tank two. It's just that simple (and messy). Use a plastic sheet as a drop cloth. Lots of towels to dry up afterwards.

Dave.M

steallife904
08/03/2016, 09:32 AM
when I upgraded I had to drain the tank in a few Rubbermaid trash cans and buckets. I put all corals in a Rubbermaid container, fish in another, live rock in the trash cans. Then moved tank out of the way and setup the new one. Once I had the new one filled and rock work setup (I reused all my old tank water, only leaving water in the 2 containers with fish and coral. I had a small pump running in them for flow) I let it run for hours (setup was done early in the morning around 9) and at about 9 or 10Pm once the water was clear and the temperature was good I started to acclimate them to the tank water for about 1.5 hours then into the tank. All went well. Was a long day though.

m0nkie
08/03/2016, 10:55 AM
I would just get new sand. not worth washing and possibly creating anther cycle. Dr Tim or Biospira always help.

I bought a bunch of rubber maids, drained all the water into them. Put rocks in. Kept fish and coral in different containers depending on aggression. Then just make the switch.

if it's going to take more than 1 day, prepare heater/air pump for the tanks.

prepare lots and lots of towels. lots and lots of new salt water!!!

m0nkie
08/03/2016, 10:56 AM
and if you haven't QT'd properly.. this is a good chance to start new.

11mixedreef
08/03/2016, 06:21 PM
Well the new sand was going in the DT 220 pounds of a mix of Arag alive Fiji pink and oolite then was going to reuse the 80 lbs from my 120 and the rest of why I didn't use from my previous build it was just petco brand wash it all like meleves did in his recent video and set it up for a DSB in my 75gal fuge but I was just wondering if old tank water in trash cans for rocks one for fish one for coral and make new using that new sand established rock and adding roughly 100 gallons of new water to my old tank water with some bacteria would be safe because while I'm plumbing this build I was going to set up the 110 after I had it out while setting up the 300 fill the 110 with fresh salt water for the fish invade it takes a couple days no chemicals all my fish are very healthy then move then over I just didn't want to cause a hue spike in am or nitrite

WiDataTech
08/03/2016, 06:56 PM
Your posts would be much easier to understand if you would use punctuation. Just sayin. But for whatever reason, youngsters these days seem to think it's too much work.

rygar
08/03/2016, 09:05 PM
Funnyhowpuncuationmakesreadingandunderstandingsomucheasiermaybehisperiodandcapsbuttonsarebrokenjustg ivinghimthebenefitofthedoubtmycomputeratworkhasafewbuttonsthatarebecomingaproblemyaneverknow

dave.m
08/04/2016, 12:51 AM
Correct punctuation and grammar makes the difference between 'helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse' and 'helping your uncle jack off a horse.'

Dave.M

MrsReefK
08/04/2016, 03:46 AM
Correct punctuation and grammar makes the difference between 'helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse' and 'helping your uncle jack off a horse.'

Dave.M

Dave. Stop.

I laughed way to loud at that, way to early!

WiDataTech
08/04/2016, 09:34 AM
^^ Now that's funny! Lol

11mixedreef
08/04/2016, 10:21 AM
Real nice, and really mature. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.