PDA

View Full Version : Lighting (Hybrid) question

Fishing4Answers
08/04/2016, 10:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I am setting up a new 30 gallon reef tank and had some questions in trying to design lighting. I was at first thinking of going with an LED system but did not want to spend a ton of money. I have had a Current USA Orbit Marine light in the past and like the ability to ramp up the light to simulate "sunrise." In reading this light only puts out less than 1 watt per LED.

This leads me to my question, I was wondering if setting up a Current USA Orbit Marine and using an Aquatic Life Dual-Lamp T5-HO Marquis either in front or behind the LED to supplement. Would this set up work for keeping soft and LPS corals? I don't think I will get any SPS, if so will be way down the road. If this would work what bulbs should I use in the T5? I do not want to wash out all of the blue (another reason I was thinking the LED with the T5, control the blue levels more).

Any suggestions and answers would be appreciated! My tank is 30" in length, 12" wide and 18" depth. Will have a shallow sand bed and live rock.

thegrun
08/04/2016, 02:50 PM
You will be fine with two T-5 bulbs and the LEDs. T-5 Bulb selection would depend on the color you like, it sounds like you want a blue color, so,I would go with either two Blue + bulbs or a Blue + and an actinic bulb