PDA

View Full Version : Importance on Lighting Being on Your Central Controller

RussWalters
08/04/2016, 02:49 PM
I am looking the Corona lighting system from Rapid LED. While it looks like their app is pretty good for scheduling lighting program, the system itself does not integrate into any aquarium controllers like APEX or ReefKeeper.

For those running aquarium controller systems, how important is it to you to have your lighting controlled through that single module? What added benefits does that provide me?

Would I be kicking myself if I purchased these lights and then when I added a controller to the tank would not be able to control them through the central system?

d2mini
08/04/2016, 02:57 PM
IMHO, the only thing you really need to control via your main controller is on/off. Just incase you need to kill the lights or something. Like if the thank temps go to high you can have the controller cut the power to that socket. But even that isn't even that common anymore with cooler running LED lights.
All my programming for Radions is done through EcoSmart Live, not my controller.

oseymour
08/04/2016, 02:58 PM
My main lights are a Kessil AP700. It has a controller built in no need to go through my controller.

I don't see it as a need. Once I got my lights tuned I don't mess with them that often. I do have the power cord plugged into the Apex in case the tank overheats I can shut the lights off.

mcgyvr
08/04/2016, 03:41 PM
absolutely not needed to be on the reef controller..
That should just be heaters/pumps/ato/sensors,etc.. but lighting does not at all.. Provided it already has built in control functionality..

My lights have no on/off timer and I have extra outlets on my controller so I use it..
But you can just use a regular lamp timer too for turning them on/off..

Kevin Guthrie
08/05/2016, 12:39 PM
I plug a power strip into an Intermatic light timer that controls the 400w light and lightrail. Then there is another timer plugged into the strip that runs an MJ for 2 hours on, 4 off while the lights are on. The timers are 15 years old.

Sonyardo
08/06/2016, 06:10 AM
I only use the controller to kill the power to the lights, if the tank starts to overheat. The light has a built in controller to for all other functions.