PDA

View Full Version : Fish breathing heavily

fishkeeprian
08/04/2016, 03:52 PM
Hi I have a clownfish in qt early this evening im.performwd a formalin bath on him. 5l litres of water i used 1.56ml of 37% formalin and he was in there for 50mins. During bath he was fine no signs of stress. After bath i put him clean saltwater at the same salinty and temp. I have noticed he is breathing rapidly and proping himself againts the upvc pope thats in there. I have dosed the tank with saechem prime.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Apotack
08/04/2016, 06:12 PM
How long have you had it?
Why are you treating it?
What are the parameters of the qt water?

scooter31707
08/05/2016, 07:28 AM
Were you constantly watching during the Formalin bath to see if the breathing started them..could have been stressed from that.

fishkeeprian
08/05/2016, 10:13 AM
Were you constantly watching during the Formalin bath to see if the breathing started them..could have been stressed from that.

Hi scooter,

He has stopped heavy breathing now, but i have now noticed the clear bit around it tail fin is damaged this was perfectly intact yesterday and hes on his own in the tank,any ideas?

Thanks

ThRoewer
08/05/2016, 12:08 PM
Could be bacterial.
A picture or video would help with the identification.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1Sharklagoon
08/05/2016, 12:56 PM
I have truly learned in my years that the more you do the more they stress the less the medications have time to work, because the stress itself kills the fish. medications take time to do what they are ment too. Best thing to do is get water as clean as possible and do 20 percent every 3 to 4 days

ThRoewer
08/05/2016, 01:32 PM
That is surely right in general, but certain diseases and infections need a more aggressive approach.
The biggest issue is that too often people start a treatment before they actually know what to treat against.

fishkeeprian
08/05/2016, 02:04 PM
That is surely right in general, but certain diseases and infections need a more aggressive approach.
The biggest issue is that too often people start a treatment before they actually know what to treat against.

Hi I have had him for around four weeks ive performed the transfer method treating with prazi pro. I had noticed whilst in the dt tank he had some pitting in his white band on his head. I had not given him a formalin dip prior to putting him in the dt. I decided to take him out and put him a hospital tank because i wasnt sure what was causing it. I was going take him through QT again starting with formalin dip His heavy breathing has stopped but seems a bit wobbley and I have noticed the clear piece that gos around his tail fin looks nipped but hes in there on his own.

I have started to soak his food in selcon as from today because i read that the pitting could be lateral line disease and this would help. Im so confused. I stayed up most on the night last night to makesure he didnt get into trouble so i was on hand to assist.

I dont know if to put him bk in dt hes not liking qt tank it might be stressing him out.

ThRoewer
08/05/2016, 02:10 PM
I would observe it for a few days and see if it heals or gets worse. In the latter case it may be bacterial and you may have to treat with antibiotics.

fishkeeprian
08/05/2016, 02:32 PM
I would observe it for a few days and see if it heals or gets worse. In the latter case it may be bacterial and you may have to treat with antibiotics.

Thanks for your reply, what antibiotics would i need to treat with?

ThRoewer
08/05/2016, 04:47 PM
That's the million dollar question. Ideally you need to know what bacterium you treat against and pick the matching antibiotic. Since that is usually not possible you need to fall back to a broadband antibiotic that targets as many bacteria species as possible.
I had success with Amoxicillin (Fish Mox) or BiFuran+, but also failures.