PDA

View Full Version : Slim over flow with return built in

getindavan
08/04/2016, 09:43 PM
I tore our my old overflow and used the glass and acrylic, a wet saw and some silicon to make this.

the return line exits out the existing slits 3 inches from the bottom.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VCBdTl63NWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LXXero
08/05/2016, 01:10 AM
hah that's pretty cool.

you basically "ghosted" a internal overflow.

i bet you can completely hide that bottom part too after you put in the substrate and whatnot.

is it quiet? I can't imagine you're doing a bean or herbie, although i guess you could maybe dial one of the two drains back a little to get that siphon effect on one of them...

PAXpress
08/05/2016, 12:44 PM
I tore our my old overflow and used the glass and acrylic, a wet saw and some silicon to make this.

the return line exits out the existing slits 3 inches from the bottom.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VCBdTl63NWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats pretty interesting. I like it.

mcgyvr
08/05/2016, 01:47 PM
yep.. I think that started from some South African reef guys..

Not sure if this is the specific one but it was on this board I believe..
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/evolution-of-slimline-overflow.19764/

aaronpentz
08/05/2016, 07:00 PM
I hope you have a siphon break or at the very least a check valve on your return otherwise you'll drain the entire display on power loss

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LXXero
08/05/2016, 08:07 PM
I hope you have a siphon break or at the very least a check valve on your return otherwise you'll drain the entire display on power loss

huh? It's sealed all the way to the bottom, the water would only drain to the teeth, well, until the glass->acrylic seal failed, heh. i'd probably be more comfortable if it was made entirely out of glass, but the design in theory should work without that problem...

aaronpentz
08/05/2016, 08:14 PM
I'm referring to the return, comes out the slits 3inches from the bottom. The overflow portion yes will drain to the bottom of the teeth but the return side will drain the entire display to the lower return teeth leaving only 3 inches of water in the tank and depending on the sump size water on the floor

LXXero
08/05/2016, 11:20 PM
I'm referring to the return, comes out the slits 3inches from the bottom. The overflow portion yes will drain to the bottom of the teeth but the return side will drain the entire display to the lower return teeth leaving only 3 inches of water in the tank and depending on the sump size water on the floor

oh **** is the return coming out the bottom too? I didn't notice. yeah that'd be a problem, lol.

i don't trust check valves at all either. i got a $60 wye one, things brand new practically and i've been able to make it fail to catch a few times, ended up drilling siphon break holes shortly after, but my returns are over the top anyway.

Lsufan
08/05/2016, 11:39 PM
Yea, I was wondering how that worked too. He has slits in the overflow about 3" off the bottom for the return. With the slits in the box it seems like it would even drain out the bulkheads for the drain. He has to have it setup somehow where it won't back flow the whole tank I was just wondering how he had it.

getindavan
08/07/2016, 07:15 PM
the return line goes up and then goes down. I was going to drill a hole near the top to break the siphon but the tank consistently loses siphon at 4 inches below the top. If that ever changes ill add that extra hole