PDA

View Full Version : Recovering a dead tank after ich.

k20001
08/05/2016, 12:13 PM
I have been running 1200L system for the last 6 months ,
Last week I lost most of my fishes due to ich outbreak after introduction of new blue powder to the DT without quarantine.

I have reasons to believe that the ich was already in the tank before.

My question is related to the recovery procedure .
I have some lack of information regarding the ability of CUC to carry the ich ,
Should I remove the remaining fish, shrimps from the tank ?
Should I threat the rock/sand/pumps/or other equipment ?

Your help will be appriciated

nereefpat
08/05/2016, 12:56 PM
You will have to remove all fish from the display, then let the tank run fishless (fallow) for a period of time. I've seen as long as 12 weeks suggested. Ich will die out in this time without a fish host.

All invertebrates, rock, sand, and equipment can be left in the tank.

Sk8r
08/05/2016, 01:28 PM
No fishes for 72 to 80 days. Corals, inverts are all ok. The ich parasite needs to feed on a fish. Without fish, it starves and cannot reproduce. Use the fallow time to improve your reef...but remember to dip your corals. THey have their own pests.

k20001
08/05/2016, 02:03 PM
Thank you

k20001
08/13/2016, 09:36 AM
Cant get my last fish from the DT.

Tried the traps , the nets , nylon bags without success .

I guess i cant start counting those 80 days until i will get him out (even though i cant see any sign of ich on it). Right ?

Sk8r
08/13/2016, 04:06 PM
Drain the tank down (dig hole in front left corner [if you're right-handed]) Fish will go to last deep water, net fish, re-water tank pdq.

If you have one of those rock-hiding fish, not always successful, but this procedure can even catch an eel. Trick is rapid drain/rewater. And it won't hurt corals.

Tanthaitrung
08/14/2016, 03:53 AM
Catching him at midnight also helps but not always

Subsea
08/14/2016, 06:11 AM
I have been running 1200L system for the last 6 months ,
Last week I lost most of my fishes due to ich outbreak after introduction of new blue powder to the DT without quarantine.

I have reasons to believe that the ich was already in the tank before.

My question is related to the recovery procedure .
I have some lack of information regarding the ability of CUC to carry the ich ,
Should I remove the remaining fish, shrimps from the tank ?
Should I threat the rock/sand/pumps/or other equipment ?

Your help will be appriciated

What makes you think that ich was in the tank before tang was introduced?

I have my own theory about treating for ich. To me, it is all about fish immune systems. Feed live food every day to your fish. Especially gut bacteria from shellfish. I have had a tank that for two years with no introductions showed no Ich, then after a stress event from an equipment failure showed ich everywhere.
I did nothing but add garlic and feed much live food. All ich disappeared.

thegrun
08/14/2016, 08:37 AM
What makes you think that ich was in the tank before tang was introduced?

I have my own theory about treating for ich. To me, it is all about fish immune systems. Feed live food every day to your fish. Especially gut bacteria from shellfish. I have had a tank that for two years with no introductions showed no Ich, then after a stress event from an equipment failure showed ich everywhere.
I did nothing but add garlic and feed much live food. All ich disappeared.

I'm a firm believer in eliminating ich from your tank rather than simply hoping the fish will be able to continue to fight off the disease. Even though your fish show no outward signs of the disease, it very rarely simply disappears, rather it stays lurking in your tank waiting either for a stress event to weaken the fish so it can flare up and kill. I know that tanks run for a long time without the ich killing off any fish, but sooner or later it will flare up and kill.