PDA

View Full Version : Too much pump?

Remmers
08/06/2016, 04:48 AM
I picked up a pump from a friend who bought a set up and come to find out its a reeflo hammerhead which puts out 6,000 gph. I only have about 6 ft of total head(spilt to 2 returns), its a 180 mixed reef. I'm assuming I can run my reactors and uv ( all on a manifold) off the pump, but I will still have a lot extra, if I plumb it to my remote fuge thats 5 feet away and I still have to much can I dump some back into the sump or should I dial it back with a valve?

I know reeflo pumps can be dialed back but Im worried this might be to much pump

LXXero
08/06/2016, 05:24 AM
yeah i mean, it's probably too much pump. on a 180, you'd be safe in the 2000-4000 range.

you can dial it back, like you said...

also here's something i found while looking up that pump: it seems you might be able to swap the impeller and turn the "hammerhead" into the "barracuda" or vice versa.....the barracuda is 4500gph, the hammerhead is 6000gph, needless to say, it seems you can reduce the flow by swapping out to the barracuda impeller. So just do that.

I'd say do that and you'll be fine.

http://www.reeflopumps.com/assets/hh-silver-box_CHART.gif

3800 gph @ 4ft, you can dial that back to 1500-2000 range no problem i'm sure...

Joshua00030
08/06/2016, 09:53 AM
If you do go with a valve be sure it's going to stay in place. I've seen people dial huge pumps back to barely a trickle. The valve eventually gets blasted off from pressure and just shot water straight upwards. Their nice two story house now has visible water damage on the ceiling of the first floor.

This doesn't mean never use a valve. I did the same thing, however I only turned it down to 70ish%. Still works fine.

luvreefs23
08/06/2016, 11:39 AM
I hated them pumps, would always have a slow leak where the two plates were suppose to seal. I'd say it's to much pump too, waste of electricity. Didn't even have ours turned all the way up with 12' of head pressure on a 375 gallon

mfinn
08/06/2016, 07:27 PM
If you are a fan of the Reeflo pumps look at something better suited to your tank, like maybe a snapper.
If it's just what became available at the time, then I would look to sell it and get something that is lower power, lower noise and even smaller in size.
I'd look for a pump that will deliver 900-1000 gph to the tank and what ever the reactors and uv need after head loss.