PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer questions

Fishguy88
08/06/2016, 02:46 PM
Right now I am just running an aqua clear 70. On a 29 gallon fowlr. But after reading about the benefits of a protein skimmer, id like to purchase one. I don't have a sump, so I am limited to an hob or in tank skimmer. After doing some research I've narrowed it down to a tunze doc 9004 and a reef octopus classic 90. They both seem to do a good job and are in my price range. I was leaning towards the tunze because I've read a lot of stories about the hob's overflowing. It seems to me that they can do that from something the user did wrong like use a lot of water conditioner or set it up wrong. I guess I am nervous about messing up. Does anyone have any experience with either of those skimmers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sapelo
08/06/2016, 02:53 PM
I used the RO 100 for almost a year before upgrading to a tank with a sump (do this when possible, it will make your world better) and never had a problem with it. I've never used a water conditioner so I cannot speak to that but I did find setup and maintenance easy and hassle free.

zeemofree
08/06/2016, 02:58 PM
Right now I am just running an aqua clear 70. On a 29 gallon fowlr. But after reading about the benefits of a protein skimmer, id like to purchase one. I don't have a sump, so I am limited to an hob or in tank skimmer. After doing some research I've narrowed it down to a tunze doc 9004 and a reef octopus classic 90. They both seem to do a good job and are in my price range. I was leaning towards the tunze because I've read a lot of stories about the hob's overflowing. It seems to me that they can do that from something the user did wrong like use a lot of water conditioner or set it up wrong. I guess I am nervous about messing up. Does anyone have any experience with either of those skimmers? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say I like Tunze they are very reliable, I don't know about the other brand.

jstack
08/06/2016, 03:31 PM
I have to say I like Tunze they are very reliable, I don't know about the other brand.

I run the 1000 RO 8 months never had any overflows it's not as touchy as the 90 yes prime will set the 90 of aswell as wavemakers I did alot of research and choose the 1000 over the Tunze 9004 who wants that in the tank? maybe an all in one?
the aquamax has decent reviews but the company can be shady with a modified pump to boot( I have my 89 twin turbo integra all aftermarket very fast love's to break-down often I don't drive it alotxD).
now the 100 has it's own set of problems namely the design and the pump is slightly flawed and you may have to make mod's to it.
that left me with the remora and 1000 to choose from the remora break's alot has awhole different way of making bubbles and not the best skimming options.
now the 1000 and the 2000 larger version are rock solid have page's and years of good reviews to fall back on the design the new pump (same pump you find in-sump versions) is on it works very well. hope this helps