PDA

View Full Version : Florida aquascape

nomoney
08/07/2016, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone, I was thinking about trying to create an aquascape that would mimic a reef you would come across in the Florida keys. Can I get some recommendations on some corals I should incorporate? I have a 120 gallon tank with Radions.

billdogg
08/07/2016, 09:04 AM
Most stony corals you will find while diving the keys are protected I think. You could go with Zoanthids, Palythoas, photosynthetic gorgonians, rock anemones, condylactis anemones, etc.

nomoney
08/07/2016, 09:44 AM
I love the look of sea fans, how difficult are they to keep? Ive had success with sps, clams, and softies

joshky
08/07/2016, 10:27 AM
Some of the deco live rock vendors in florida may be able to get you some stony coral hitchhikers on their rocks, saw another thread where the user bought rock multiple times asking specifically for stony corals and actually had accumulated quite a bit.

nomoney
08/07/2016, 06:50 PM
Nice, from the florida saltwater guy?

zachfishman
08/08/2016, 07:09 PM
Gorgonians (including sea fans) are very representative of FL reefs nowadays. Go gorg-heavy with some rics, add stick with all Caribbean fish and you're set :thumbsup:

nomoney
08/08/2016, 09:11 PM
I have a gorgonian thats doing well, i like the idea of adding more

C.Eymann
08/09/2016, 08:49 AM
Most stony corals you will find while diving the keys are protected I think. You could go with Zoanthids, Palythoas, photosynthetic gorgonians, rock anemones, condylactis anemones, etc.

+1 All stony corals in the Atlantic are protected.

The Palythoa found in the Caribbean are pretty ugly IMO also contain some of the highest concentrations of Palyotoxin out of all them.

Gorgs will be the coral of choice for get that Caribbean reef look, good thing is the photosynthetic ones are not only easy, they are pretty cheap too. Briareum asbestinum, pseudoplexaura are common to see in the trade, look for gorgs that have brown polyps, brown polyps=zooxanthelle present (could be exceptions, but this is the general rule.)

I would avoid the iconic Caribbean sea fan Gorgonia ventilina, despite being photosynthetic as it can be rather difficult as its Flow demands rival that of Acropora. Plus rare to see these days in the hobby, they might be protected now as well possibly.

Like others said add Caribbean fish, maybe a coral banded shrimp a condy nem or a nice S. helianthus nem (bit trickier) and you are rocking.

Love Caribbean biotopes, definitely throw up some pics as you make progress

zachfishman
08/09/2016, 09:14 AM
I would avoid the iconic Caribbean sea fan Gorgonia ventilina, despite being photosynthetic as it can be rather difficult as its Flow demands rival that of Acropora. Plus rare to see these days in the hobby, they might be protected now as well possibly.

Yes they are protected: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

C.Eymann
08/09/2016, 09:20 AM
Yes they are protected: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

I suspected so, I do remember seeing them in the hobby, but that was probably 15 or so years ago.