PDA

View Full Version : Is this ich / velvet / flukes?

Neptune 555
08/08/2016, 09:45 AM
I am looking for help to ID what is wrong or not wrong with my red head fairly wrasse.

My wrasse is in QT with 3 other fish: Pygmy angel flameback / Green clown goby / Starry Blenny. My pygmy angel / starry Blenny arrived on Sunday July 31st from LFS. I added the fairy wrasse and clown goby on Tuesday Aug 2nd via LA shipment to my house. I did TT on Saturday Aug 6th. I plan to assume that my TTM starts on Aug 6th b/c I was 4 days.. versus 3 days during my first TTM? (please confirm - I wanted to transfer on Friday day 3 but work made that impossible).

My issue is that my wrasse is not doing great...? All other fish are eating and behaving normally. I don't see any spots on any of them. None of the fish are scrapping on the bottom. The wrasse is hiding a bit under my powerhead - like wanting to be in the shade. I am not sure he is swimming in the stream.. Seems to breathing a bit heavy. He was eating but he eats spits it out and eats again? I do think he did get some food down tho... but it takes 3x / 4x tries of spitting it out and eating it again. He did not eat this morning??!! I am on HIGH ALERT. He should have eaten this morning. I still don't see spots on the wrasse. Skin is not peeling off but it does look a tad dull?

My QT Parameters are a tad weird. I added Prime but my tank water was still showing green alert .02 NOT yellow 0 ammonia? I added a tad more prime but still the same measurement using ammonia alert badge. The other fish are breathing fine tho? I was nervous to add more prime b/c of oxygen depletion? I moved the power head so it created more surface agitation.

If it were velvet the fish would already be dead or showing signs correct? If it is ich it might be a tad under control b/c I have done TTM (although a day late) and I need to continue with TTM? If it is flukes I am waiting to treat with Prazi until tomorrow when I do my next TTM. BUT I have heard wrasses are sensitive to Prazi?

here are two photos... I don't see spots?

What are your recommendations? Stay the course... TTM tomorrow morning and start Prazi tomorrow am? Start more radical treatment now? Hold off on prazi b/c the wrasse is already struggling?

Thank you!
Neptune!!

Neptune 555
08/08/2016, 12:42 PM
thoughts is my wrasse sick? Look at the second photo..? he is struggling to breathe?

neptune

Neptune 555
08/08/2016, 12:53 PM
Ok I just fed him 2x try for the day. He was interested in the food. He ate spat it out ate the same piece spat it out and then on the third try I think he kept the food down? but when he pooped it was dark (normal looking poop) followed by white string? It didn't stay attached to him... but it was dfn white stringy stuff? So is that flukes?

I will go read the treatment sticky.. but would appreciate input. It is a wrasse and I am a tad nervous treating him with prazi b/c I have not found good sources of data with Wrasses and success with Prazi.

Neptune

Reeferz412
08/08/2016, 01:47 PM
Looks like brooklynella

Newms118
08/08/2016, 05:45 PM
Looks like brooklynella

How are you making that distinction? I cant see anything on the fish.

Neptune 555
08/08/2016, 09:48 PM
Agree ... I can't figure out why his breathing is odd and still no sign of skin issues. No white spot I can see. If it was brook or velvet the fish would be dead by now? He is on day 7 in QT. other fish look awesome. I am doing TTM tomorrow. Should o do prazi w/ wrasse? I think the white stringy poop is an issue -I just know what?

Neptune

Deinonych
08/08/2016, 10:29 PM
How are you making that distinction? I cant see anything on the fish.

I agree. I don't see anything from the pictures that would indicate Brooklynella.

ThRoewer
08/09/2016, 12:14 AM
Rapid breathing can be caused by a lot of things.
I don't think the picture is good enough to make a definitive statement.
A video is sometimes more helpful as it shows the breathing and overall behavior (just please no vertical video! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA)).

Deinonych
08/09/2016, 07:45 AM
(just please no vertical video! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA)).

Amen! One of my biggest pet peeves. :D