PDA

View Full Version : All In One Bio Pellets Advice

ksicard
08/08/2016, 12:38 PM
Hey all,
I started running all in one bio pellets on my tank and I'm taking it slow so I don't over do it. I have read a lot of reviews on the product and it sounds like the pellets shed brown material that will clog pumps, plumbing, and liter in the sump. I wanted to ask if any one here has found a way around this problem. I don't want to increase my regular maintenance. I really like the idea of not needing GFO so I'm giving the product a chance. I currently have the output of the reactor feeding into a filter sock and I'm not over tumbling the media to try to reduce the clogging affect that the pellets can cause. Please let me know if anyone has found a way to eliminate the brown residue from getting into everything. If I start to see this problem happening I will probably switch to normal bio pellets.

I do clean all the pumps in vinegar and shop vac the sump every 6 months. I'm just worried that the pellets might damage some of my pumps like my red dragon on my skimmer.

GimpyFin
08/08/2016, 02:13 PM
Haven't used the all in one biopellets, but I've used Ecobak plus for 2-2.5 years with good success. Pellets in general do shed a film as they're consumed which is why a solid skimmer is important to pull that out of the water. This is also why it's recommended the pellets have a steady, gentle tumble (So they don't turn to clumpy goo) and that the reactor output is near the skimmer intake. I get a fair amount of brown sludge in the skimmer cup and throat, but not really anywhere else.