PDA

View Full Version : Clown pair w/ carpet anemone?

Fishmaster13
08/08/2016, 06:00 PM
Story:
So basically I went out of town for a month and around 3 weeks into my trip, there was some sort of power surge or something by one of my tanks that sparked up and melted the outlet + burned a small hole in the wall. Thankfully my house didn't burn down, but the outlet had all the cords for my heater, filter, bubbler, and so on. The guy I had taking care of the tanks came the next day and saw this. He connected everything to a seperate outlet with an extension cord and saved what was left. Unfortunately, I lost my blue tang, my angel, and somehow my clown, along with some CC. Now I've been back for 2 weeks and have done many water changes, cleaned the filters, and everything is back on track. Now that I need replacements, I was thinking I might change it up a little.

Actual Question:
I've been thinking about having a clown pair for a while. I will probably get similar clowns to what I had, either percula or ocellaris. I have three questions:
1) How do I get the clowns to pair? Or should I buy them pre-paired for extra $$$?
2) How do I get them to take to my anemone? It's a carpet anemone I've had for around 2 years. My now-deceased clown was in the tank for 8 months before it decided to host it, and it'd be nice to not have to wait that long this time. I know you can't guarantee it, but any suggestions would be great.
3) Will they be overly aggressive? It's a 75 gallon tank that currently has a melanarus wrasse, and sand-sifting goby and a shrimp goby. I'm thinking of replacing the angelfish also, but probably not the tang since the tank isn't big enough (I got it from a friend breaking down his tank, was looking for a new owner, that wasn't a permanent tank for it).

Thanks for the help!

Doge
08/08/2016, 06:50 PM
1) Buy one clown fish significantly bigger than the other. Doesn't matter if you get them pre-paired but they'll most likely pair easily if one of them is bigger.

2) When you introduce the clowns you can put them near the nem, tape a picture on the wall of the tank of clowns hosting a nem (not sure if it will work) you can also take a clear floating object with holes in it and put both nem and clowns in.

3) I think they're fine

lionfish300
08/10/2016, 09:04 PM
I believe that you suppose to let them host naturally do not force. At far at clown fish you need to purchase 1 bigger than the other and they will pair up .