PDA

View Full Version : Dosing question

aquamann183
08/08/2016, 10:25 PM
I am getting closer and closer to setting up my 150 gallon with 40B sump and am trying to think of everything I need to know.

This is my second tank and I did not dose with my first tank.

Planning on a mixed reef build.

My question is..when do I start dosing? Do I dose from the get go, or do I wait awhile for everything to cycle?

I'm assuming I just need to dose mg, calcium, and alkalinity.

Thank you!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bundybear1981
08/09/2016, 04:47 AM
Firstly you need to get a good handle on your numbers, regular water testing of things such as alkalinity, magnesium, calcium and nitrates. NEVER dose anything you're not testing for.

At first you probably won't need to dose anything, water changes will likely be sufficient. As the coral load increases and corals start to grow water changes won't be enough to replenish the water. At this time kalk may be enough to replenish your water, if not then start dosing required elements.

Remember not to allow big swings in the water parameters, small doses done several times a day are preferred.

Start with small additions allowing time for it to adequately disperse in the water before testing again.

To calculate roughly how much you need to dose you will need to know consumption rates, test daily at the same time for several days keeping notes of the results. This will show you your daily consumption rates, this figure combined with the system total volume will allow you to calculate about how much to dose. It may need tweaking to get it right, just make sure to regularly test your water and adjust as required.

aquamann183
08/09/2016, 06:29 AM
Firstly you need to get a good handle on your numbers, regular water testing of things such as alkalinity, magnesium, calcium and nitrates. NEVER dose anything you're not testing for.

At first you probably won't need to dose anything, water changes will likely be sufficient. As the coral load increases and corals start to grow water changes won't be enough to replenish the water. At this time kalk may be enough to replenish your water, if not then start dosing required elements.

Remember not to allow big swings in the water parameters, small doses done several times a day are preferred.

Start with small additions allowing time for it to adequately disperse in the water before testing again.

To calculate roughly how much you need to dose you will need to know consumption rates, test daily at the same time for several days keeping notes of the results. This will show you your daily consumption rates, this figure combined with the system total volume will allow you to calculate about how much to dose. It may need tweaking to get it right, just make sure to regularly test your water and adjust as required.
Thanks!
I figured it would be something along those lines.

I'm going to wait a little while before putting corals in to allow time for everything to settle out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

lionfish300
08/11/2016, 09:42 PM
I would test for ALK, Cal and maybe Mag to see where your water parameter are at