PDA

View Full Version : 125g lighting, pvc overflow size questions

saiyan7702
08/09/2016, 09:19 PM
hey guys im going to be setting up a 125g 6ft long fish and reef tank. probably soft corals for awhile until im ready for hard corals. looking to spend like maybe 400 on lights but im kinda torn on what i should get. whatg do you guys think? any help or tips is appreciated. Im going with the reef octopus 150 INT classic in a sump, 1" pvc for overflow and im going to drill the back and the return size at 1/2"? I'm going to setup the bean animal system. what size drill bit should i use? Im going to be getting it from home depot so any brands i should avoid? If i crack my tank im gonna throw myself out of a window...lol also im kiond of torn on what power heads to get, id like something controllable

mcgyvr
08/10/2016, 05:12 AM
acrylic or glass tank?
return pump model?
why 1/2" return? Too small IMO for 125G tank..

drill bit size is based on the bulkhead which is based on pvc plumbing size..
See here for some common bulkheads and down lower it shows which diamond hole saw size to use (if glass)
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-abs-slip-x-slip-1-7c63a554c36ea63c77723a472b7ca20f.html
or schedule 80 bulkheads
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-schedule-80-slip-x-thread-slip-on-the-flange-head-side-1-3c30bc3ec05967d33995f258b184fabb.html

as for lights.
Do you want LED? T5? Mh?
And specific features/functions?

as for powerheads..
Got a budget there?.. For controllable you basically have some tunze models, maxspect gyre, vortech, jebao/jecod

kmbyrnes
08/10/2016, 05:39 AM
Congrats!
I'm not saying this is the right combination for you, but my 125 is doing well.
I use 3 Chinese back boxes over my tank. They are growing mushrooms, softies and a few LPS pretty well.
I agree the return size is too small. I have 1" return with a Jecod DCT12000 pump running at 50% power.
For power heads, I had 2 RW-15's, but they proved too much. Now I am down to an RW-8, a Koralia 1150, and some Chinese cheapos for fill.
As for drilling, I have no experience, but I would read some more on that subject and opt for a proper glass drilling bit.
And do some practice holes on a sheet of glass from the hardware store before attempting a tank.
Good Luck!

mcgyvr
08/10/2016, 08:07 AM
"hardest" part of drilling is the start and end of the process..

If you don't have a way to keep the drill from walking all over when starting then you can come in at an angle and slowly work it straight or cut a hole in some plywood (and clamp it) to use as a guide to keep the bit from walking or get one of the drill stands and clamp that..

Then when you get almost through go slow/very little pressure to avoid chipping out on the back,etc..
In general when you start it may take 10 minutes or more to drill the hole..
Once you are very confident you can get that down to just a couple minutes but there is no rush.. Slower is better..

and it helps to use some plumbers putty to make a dam around the hole to keep water there.. Or just dribble some from a tube/pump/water bottle,etc.. Just keep it well cooled/lubricated with the water and have fun..

And yes.. 1" is probably a better return size.. You can even T it to have 2 returns.. But keep it all 1"

The pipe sizes listed on the bean animal page are perfect for a 125G IMO.. Its exactly what I ran and it worked GREAT.. and I had 1" PVC Tee'd off to have 2 returns just to spread out the flow of the return water some..

saiyan7702
08/10/2016, 08:23 AM
Glass tank. The current pump I have now is rated for like 1200gph I think. I went with 1/2" return because I thought I should be doing overflow pipes at 1" so return should be cut in half. What sizes should I use for pvc? For the return and overflow.

titus_4
08/10/2016, 09:03 AM
My 6' 125 gal came with 1 1/4" overflow and 3/4" return. The return was great for me since I'm running the Vectra M1 which has a 3/4" output fitting so I didn't have to step the piping up or down.

IMO your lighting budget will limit your possibilities. I'm running 2 Radion xr30 pros and I'm going to have to add another one to get full coverage.

Bono
08/10/2016, 01:50 PM
I have a 125 gal and im also running 3 of the Mars Aqua LED's with a pair of T5's as supplements and I couldn't be happier. There about $90 each so your well under your budget. I'm using RW 8's with the dual controller and it seems to be enough flow with my Eheim 1262 return

saiyan7702
08/10/2016, 04:44 PM
im looking at overflow boxes on ebay but idk how reliable these are for the bean animal setup.

mcgyvr
08/10/2016, 04:54 PM
You simply need 2 pieces of glass to construct the coast-coast overflow and use that with the bean animal drain system..
and the sizes for the plumbing are listed right in one of the images on that article on beans page.. and they are perfect for your 125G tank..

This is so deja vu... Haven't we just done this dance with you in the DIY section?

oh yeah we did..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592997

You must have turned that brain off again :P

Prebuilt overflows are fine too but I would find one that has a back with 3 holes for the 1" bulkheads and the bulkheads will just hold it all in place..

saiyan7702
08/10/2016, 04:57 PM
how many times should i turn the tank over?

saiyan7702
08/10/2016, 04:59 PM
You simply need 2 pieces of glass to construct the coast-coast overflow and use that with the bean animal drain system..
and the sizes for the plumbing are listed right in one of the images on that article on beans page.. and they are perfect for your 125G tank..

This is so deja vu... Haven't we just done this dance with you in the DIY section?

oh yeah we did..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592997

You must have turned that brain off again :P

Prebuilt overflows are fine too but I would find one that has a back with 3 holes for the 1" bulkheads and the bulkheads will just hold it all in place..

yea lol but i was thinking if it would be cheaper to grab a premade one

mcgyvr
08/10/2016, 04:59 PM
how many times should i turn the tank over?

In general 3-5x.. up to 10x display size for flow through sump then total flow in the system (done via powerheads,etc..) should be 30-50x or more. Some SPS tanks run 100x display volume for "total flow" in the tank..

saiyan7702
08/10/2016, 07:34 PM
is this pump good enough for my sump? I also picked up a Reef Octopus 150 INT Classic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049XENYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jscwerve
08/10/2016, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't skimp on the return pump. I have 125 and I learned quickly that the return is of utmost importance. I use an eheim 1262 going through two 3/4 returns. Other equipment is a synergy reef overflow with 3x1" bean animal setup. Heads I've been running 2 jebao rw-8s on opposite ends of the tank. I also use 3 black boxes for now.

saiyan7702
08/10/2016, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't skimp on the return pump. I have 125 and I learned quickly that the return is of utmost importance. I use an eheim 1262 going through two 3/4 returns. Other equipment is a synergy reef overflow with 3x1" bean animal setup. Heads I've been running 2 jebao rw-8s on opposite ends of the tank. I also use 3 black boxes for now.

why 2 returns? whats 3 black boxes?

nereefpat
08/11/2016, 09:46 AM
why 2 returns? whats 3 black boxes?

S/he means his return has a tee, so the return goes into the tank in two places. I do the same on my 125.

Black boxes refers to Chinese black box led lights. I believe that is a generic term.

I light my 125 with a 6 bulb T5 fixture. My return pump moves about 1100 gph. Probably more like 900 after head loss.

Jscwerve
08/11/2016, 04:14 PM
S/he means his return has a tee, so the return goes into the tank in two places. I do the same on my 125.

Black boxes refers to Chinese black box led lights. I believe that is a generic term.

I light my 125 with a 6 bulb T5 fixture. My return pump moves about 1100 gph. Probably more like 900 after head loss.

Correct. I forget how big of a learning curve the lingo is.

I run two 3/4" return lines that actually are 1" up until the bulkhead fitting. It tees off the pump. I do it because on only one return it's a lot of flow coming in at one point in the tank. I'm actually going to diffuse the 3/4" loc-line fittings by splitting each side into two.

Also correct is the black box thing. Chinese LED fixtures. Cheap reliable, adequate. I'll up grade some time later, but they are fine for now. I made brackets to hang them from AI light hanging rails.

Lsufan
08/11/2016, 07:34 PM
I would drill for 1" bulkheads for your return & eighther 1" or 1.5" for the drains. If u want to only buy one drill bit u could use 1" bulkheads on the returns & drains but I would use 1.5" plumbing on the 1" bulkheads for your drains. It will help keep it quieter.
I would eighther build a c2c overflow like already mentioned or get a pre made ghost type overflow.
I would pass on the return pump u linked & look for a reliable pump, that's one thing u don't want to fail. I would look into eheim 1262 or the fluval sp4 and if it was in my budget I would look into the vectra.

U are going to find it hard to find the drill bit u need from Home Depot, I don't think they sell them as big as u need. It's something u can get pretty cheap online.
Get a extra piece of glass & drill a couple holes in that before u go drilling the tank, it's really easy so after 1 or 2 holes u will be confident drilling the tank

Flippers4pups
08/11/2016, 08:12 PM
My lights and sump were a steal. Got them both used from a LFS for $300 for all. The only down side to T5's is the bulb replacement. They will grow softies, LPS and SPS very well. I would recommend T5's starting out and if your budget allows later, jump to LED's.

DT power heads, don't be spooked by Jebao's. Mine have been flawless now for two years and move a ton of water. Go with the RW series, not the older WP's. RW's are more robust. Just clean them often and they will last. When you have more money, go ecotech.

I have drilled many tanks in the past, but didn't on my 125. If you do choose to drill and haven't drilled one before, practice on a non tempered piece of glass first. Slow and steady with very little pressure and water. Good place for diamond hole saws is BRS. I recommend them.

saiyan7702
08/11/2016, 08:36 PM
My lights and sump were a steal. Got them both used from a LFS for $300 for all. The only down side to T5's is the bulb replacement. They will grow softies, LPS and SPS very well. I would recommend T5's starting out and if your budget allows later, jump to LED's.

DT power heads, don't be spooked by Jebao's. Mine have been flawless now for two years and move a ton of water. Go with the RW series, not the older WP's. RW's are more robust. Just clean them often and they will last. When you have more money, go ecotech.

I have drilled many tanks in the past, but didn't on my 125. If you do choose to drill and haven't drilled one before, practice on a non tempered piece of glass first. Slow and steady with very little pressure and water. Good place for diamond hole saws is BRS. I recommend them.

im going to be using either 55 long or a 40 breeder for the sump. could you help out with sump layout? i have the reef octopus 150 and i did pick up the eheim pump and the rws already and will be here tuesday. only thing i cant seem to find yet is a set of lighjts for the tank. im going soft corals

saiyan7702
08/11/2016, 10:04 PM
im going to be using either 55 long or a 40 breeder for the sump. could you help out with sump layout? i have the reef octopus 150 and i did pick up the eheim pump and the rws already and will be here tuesday. only thing i cant seem to find yet is a set of lights for the tank. im going soft corals

i also ordered the 16" synergy reef overflow box

Flippers4pups
08/11/2016, 10:30 PM

Just smaller. Drain section with skimmer, bubble trap and return section.

Flippers4pups
08/11/2016, 10:35 PM

Another angle.

Drain/skimmer section will keep the same water level always. ATO switch is in the return section, because it will fluctuate with with evaporation.

saiyan7702
08/12/2016, 04:15 PM

Another angle.

Drain/skimmer section will keep the same water level always. ATO switch is in the return section, because it will fluctuate with with evaporation.

4 drains going into the sump?

Flippers4pups
08/12/2016, 07:38 PM

Two are mains, two are emergencies. If the mains get clogged, flow goes into the emergency drains. They set just above the waterline in the overflow and are always dry.

2015GaTor
08/12/2016, 08:31 PM
I have three Mars Aqua 165Ws. They seem to do pretty good, though I haven't tried my hand at growing corals yet. I bought the Jebao DC 12000 and it has performed really well, though it has only been a few months. I only have it turned up half way and have dual returns on my 6' 125. It's worked real well. Good luck!