PDA

View Full Version : Riterri/mag question

hotelbravo
08/09/2016, 10:36 PM
ive been keeping an eye out for a healthy looking mag for abut 2 years now, over a month ago a mag came into my LFS that looked pretty good, after a day or two it started to go downhill like they usually do. but i kept my eye on it and it started to look somewhat better and well by the 4th week it was still hanging in there.
it was about 1/3rd the size of when it first came in but i bought it anyway.
so its been about 2 weeks since i took it home and the first two days it wouldnt stick to the rocks and eventually got sucked up into the gyre and got half chewed up. but now he is looking good and very sticky.
my clarkii clowns are really pushy with it almost to rough with it..
my main questions is about its mouth. its tightly closed but its protruding more than i feel comfortable with. its been like this since day one and i hoped it would go away but has not done so yet.
is this somewhat normal for them or is it worse off than i thought??
is 6 weeks (4 in the lfs, 2 in my tank) not long enough to say he is going to make it?

josepha
08/15/2016, 01:32 PM
I would get Cipro as soon as you can and treat it for 7 days as per the recommendations on this forum

davocean
08/15/2016, 02:08 PM
It's pretty difficult to judge just from seeing it at your LFS, in fact the longer it was there the greater chance of coming in contact w/ bacterial infection that is very typical w/ mags and gigs.
It's misleading as it can look terrible one minute, and then suddenly appear healthy, it's a constant up and down that is more clear to see when it is in your possession and you see it daily.
If it had bacterial infection, it does not just go away, it will need treatment IMO

D-Nak
08/15/2016, 03:03 PM
If you can, keep the clowns away from it. As you noted, they can be extremely rough and can even kill a nem that's trying to acclimate. How big are the clowns in comparison to the nem?

Specifically regarding the mouth, have you seen the clowns trying to "dive bomb" inside? This could explain why the mouth looks like it's protruding.

Squidmotron
08/15/2016, 03:32 PM
Second the cipro. Treat for infection.

It is magic.

I think the big difficulty with these anemones is they get infections so easily in shipping. Once treated, these things are actually fine aquarium pets (imo) and live indefinitely. It's just that few people do.

davocean
08/15/2016, 04:02 PM
Strawberry baskets or similar are great for keeping clowns away from nems while they settle.

OrionN
08/19/2016, 05:56 AM
If you can poss a picture, When it is at its best and worst during the day. We can give better advises.