PDA

View Full Version : Will cukes be harmed by their own poison?

SeaCucumberFan
08/10/2016, 06:19 AM
I have little (small, not little bit) plans for a holothuria only tank (possibly somewhere in the future) and I was wondering if they will get harmed by other cuke's and medusa's poison. Don't worry if the answer is yes, I will just erase medusa from the list then or I could turn it into a frogfish fowlr

Saxman7
09/07/2016, 01:50 AM
I have little (small, not little bit) plans for a holothuria only tank (possibly somewhere in the future) and I was wondering if they will get harmed by other cuke's and medusa's poison. Don't worry if the answer is yes, I will just erase medusa from the list then or I could turn it into a frogfish fowlr

I Experienced a medusa nuke when one of my red medusas managed to outsmart me and my "Safe Proof" designs for all my powerheads and intakes... of course I had no problems with them for a good 6 months, actually growing,defecating consistently and even reproducing too! but murphy stopped by... in my tank they lived alongside many species of cukes in it including a tigertail,and two varieties of sea apples. None of these cukes nor any other inverts or the other medusa were affected by the event...but most of my fish were gone in less than 20 minutes (at the lovley time of 3 am of course!) I removed the second one after the event and decided i'd come back to these 3 foot beasts with another tank later on in the future. In a heavily fed/ Azoox style tank they did amazingly touches to the sand bed and were well worth the experience! I find sea apples and other filter feeding species to make great canidates for display if you're thinking of doing a filter feeding based system (check out the nps section for this!) as sea apples are nearly indestructible and so robust! they also make great hosts for emperor shrimps- I'd strongly recommend pursuing your idea! :)

SeaCucumberFan
09/09/2016, 01:57 AM
Maybe I'm NOT going to get a "cucumber garden" soon. I'll just get sea apple