PDA

View Full Version : To those wondering about keeping multiple different types of shrimp

KMS.Kyle
08/10/2016, 05:04 PM
Hello!!!

I have a 60 Gallon Red Sea Max 250 and it was my goal to house multiple types of shrimp.

So I set out to create the perfect aquascape to house them peacefully and I'm happy to report that it has worked and everyone is happy.

I have 1 Coral Branded Shrimp which I've had for about 7 months, A fire shrimp that I've had for 4 months and two skunk cleaners that I've had for a week now.

The coral branded shrimp has claimed one big cave to himself - the fireshrimp has a little cave and the two skunks paired up and have opened up shop in another cave near by.

The only territorial one has been the CBS but I keep him well fed and happy. I also made a lot of little tunnels where he wouldn't be able to follow the smaller shrimp so they can evade him if he gets grumpy.

If you want to keep multiple shrimp - just make sure you give them the space & caves they require to be happy. It seems that the people who post negatively about multiple shrimp, really didn't do it properly.

Dogshowgrl
08/10/2016, 08:21 PM
So true. I keep a CBS, skunk, and blood in my 125 they all picked a spot and when I feed they come out and I feed them by hand. I added 10 peppermint shrimp and they all found places to live after the others had been in the tank over a year. They need space. I kept a blood and a skunk in a 14 no issue. Idk why people think fish need all the attention for who gets along, then throw out that whole thought process for inverts...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

illinijoe
08/11/2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info hope this helps others!

Ron Reefman
08/12/2016, 04:41 AM
Kyle, interesting info. I'm setting up a 24" rimless cube as a display refugium and I think having shrimp in there would be an interesting idea. Thanks.

Grkgod36
08/12/2016, 08:42 AM
I have a skunk a blood red and 3 peppermint shrimp and they all live in harmony . I would not risk a cbs they may keep to them selves but can turn on the other shrimp and small fish anytime

KMS.Kyle
08/13/2016, 09:38 PM
I have a skunk a blood red and 3 peppermint shrimp and they all live in harmony . I would not risk a cbs they may keep to them selves but can turn on the other shrimp and small fish anytime

To be honest the CBS seems to have VERY poor vision (which is why I'm sure he has more/bigger antennae. If you watch him during feeding, he swings his arms around and often misses what hes trying to catch.

If it's chasing a fish, I've NEVER seen him come close to catching anything.. Though he definitely does cute little display dances... Like this one tonight when I took this picture haha..

https://s3.postimg.org/bamm197xf/glow1.jpg

I would suggest trying a CBS.. Truly, pierre is one of my most favorite creatures to observe.

SeaCucumberFan
08/13/2016, 09:57 PM
Yeah I love CBS display dances, so cute lol

TauntingBeef
08/14/2016, 08:57 AM
I have a cleaner and a peppermint in a 55 gallon, the peppermint molded and the cleaner is chasing him around and they have plenty of spots to hide so its interesting to see how it plays out the peppermint is pretty crafty.