PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop systems worth these days?

Euler Kernighan
08/10/2016, 10:14 PM
Hi Fellows,

With all those fancy return pumps (vectra m1, abyss, etc) and power heads, I'm wondering if that old school closed-loop with a reeflo + oceans motions worth it.

I use to have two sets of reeflo super darts+OM4 on my 330g myself. After a huge crash I decided to downsize it to a 75g with two vortechs mp10w, have to be honest here, no way to compare all closed loop hassle with just toss one or more power-heads into the display and voila... but I don't know, I kind of miss it :blown:

Anyway, not trying to raise a discussion on this vs that, just wondering these days which is a 'good' solution for a 300g tank, maybe a mix of the two worlds?

Thanks!

ca1ore
08/10/2016, 10:35 PM
I did a CL on my 265, but if I had it to do over, I wouldn't bother. CL can be useful in certain circumstances, an anemone tank as example, but otherwise it just doesn't measure up against modern power heads like the vortech.

gribsrule
08/10/2016, 11:29 PM
I did one on a 75 gallon and wish I hadnt. Ended up taking it out. Just doesnt compare to powerheads today. Also had to deal with a lot of plumbing in the stand.

However if I were to do a huge tank that had a dedicated fish room (hopefully one day), I would definitely do a closed loop system running through my rock work to keep it free of detritus. That is how I have seen people using closed loops today at least.

Jstaff123
08/11/2016, 01:22 AM
I have a 500 gallon display, and I have a Vectra L1 hidden in my rock work as a closed loop pump, and have the plumbing coming straight up out of the water hidden by rocks going to top of the tank, then over to 2 sea swirls, so no drilling was required. I've found this along with 2 gyre 150's, has provided amazing flow.

Euler Kernighan
08/11/2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys for commenting.

Jstaff123, do you happen to have any pictures of your setup/pump connections? Wondering how did hide it and if you have easy access in case of maintenance, am trying to figure out how to hide all cables, pipes, etc. Other than that did you noted any heat transfer or any other issues?

solitude127
08/11/2016, 10:07 AM
I think in a peninsula style tank, CL would be great so that you don't have powerhead magnets out in the open.

Jstaff123
08/11/2016, 10:26 AM
I'll grab some pics this weekend for you. I have a ton of rock in my tank, so was pretty easy to hide the PVC piping coming up. I painted the pipe black to make it blend in more, and zip tied the wire to the pipe to keep it as neat as possible. The obvious downside will be maintenance on the pump if it has to be removed, but I just keep coral to a minimum on that area, and pump is pretty high up in the rock so I won't have to remove much if it needs to be removed, and obviously PVC unions are a must if you need to take the pump out.
I also put a large intake strainer on it and just have to move 1 rock to get to the strainer for regular cleaning when debris builds up on it.

I also have a 3rd L1 I ended up not using for a project, so I'm thinking of putting it in the other side of the rockwork and trying to create a surge type setup with it, just having it blast across the tank at full strength occasionally..I've been interested in the surge tank setups but seems like I could easily get the same effect with the L1.

As far as heat transfer, I'm probably not the guy to ask on that subject; I run 2 Vectra L1's and a Reeflo Hammerhead pump, so it would be tough to say how much heat transfer is coming from just the one pump.

Thanks guys for commenting.

Jstaff123, do you happen to have any pictures of your setup/pump connections? Wondering how did hide it and if you have easy access in case of maintenance, am trying to figure out how to hide all cables, pipes, etc. Other than that did you noted any heat transfer or any other issues?

Jstaff123
08/11/2016, 10:29 AM
Totally agree with this statement, I'd definitely use a CL on a peninsula tank.

Overall seems like closed loops are an old school method, but with my setup not having to drill any holes, I've been really impressed with it, and seems to compliment gyre and MP60 pumps well when coupled with rotating sea swirl returns.

To each his own, however.

I think in a peninsula style tank, CL would be great so that you don't have powerhead magnets out in the open.

Euler Kernighan
08/11/2016, 11:13 AM

Yep, right to the point! Peninsula tanks are in a different level per say, no way to maculate them with powerheads.

Euler Kernighan
08/11/2016, 11:25 AM
I'll grab some pics this weekend for you.
Great! Lovely, thank you. You know, I'm on that phase that half of your brain says 'no, go for poweheads' and the other half say 'c'mon, let's have some fun here'

As far as heat transfer, I'm probably not the guy to ask on that subject; I run 2 Vectra L1's and a Reeflo Hammerhead pump, so it would be tough to say how much heat transfer is coming from just the one pump.

I hear you. have a reeflo gold barracuda in the shelf just waiting for a project. To be honest never turned it on, bought it at socalfish three years ago but never had to use it, kind of spare pump you know. BTW as times goes by, we reefers accumulated some many things that we barely remember :hmm2:

ArmanS
08/11/2016, 06:35 PM
I am going with a Closed Loop on my 540g Tank. 2 x RD3 230w Pumps with 2 x OM 4 ways.

I like the fact that I will not have any magnets on the side of my tank, plus my tank is 1" thick Acrylic which makes it extremely difficult to use anything that involves using a Magnet.

1jwampler
08/11/2016, 06:46 PM
The M1/L1 kind of breathe new life into CL systems. You get the same kind of wave, gyre programs you get with power heads. If I start another new tank I will consider a CL system as a powerhead just can't get to the bottom to remove detritus like a CL, then add full MP10, 40, 60 type programming to the return pump and you may have a winner....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jstaff123
08/12/2016, 03:57 PM
Here are some pics of my system with the Vectra L1 buried in the rockwork; the black PVC pipe comes up out of the tank and goes over to a T, that then connects to 2 sea swirls.

In that first pic with the fish in it, you can barely see the output pipe (which was the point), but it's just to the left of that return outlet you can see top left. Keep in mind I have a much easier time hiding that pump since my tank is 3ft deep and 3ft tall, but with a little gumption, I think this could be done in most tanks. Again, not for everyone, but I really like the flow results I've had so far.

Jstaff123
08/12/2016, 04:08 PM
Totally agree...old dog, new tricks

The M1/L1 kind of breathe new life into CL systems. You get the same kind of wave, gyre programs you get with power heads. If I start another new tank I will consider a CL system as a powerhead just can't get to the bottom to remove detritus like a CL, then add full MP10, 40, 60 type programming to the return pump and you may have a winner....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C.Eymann
08/12/2016, 04:55 PM
With more affordable prop style powerheads becoming more available on the market CL are getting edged out of the picture, when coupled with a Oceans Motions unit they can provide similar alternating flow though.
I think for BB SPS tanks they can really be beneficial when it comes to keeping detritus in suspension though esp if the return nozzle is plumbed into a spray bar of sorts behind the rock work to avoid detritus accumulation. Other than that I have been seeing the CL trend kinda fading away in the hobby.