PDA

View Full Version : 220 build, help me pick equipment

gwhunter
08/11/2016, 09:47 AM
So I've been out of the hobby for about 3 years. Previously had a AGA 210 fowler with angels and tangs. I just picked up a new Marineland 220 with corner overflows. I'm looking for input on the sump,skimmer and lighting.

I'd like to incorporate some lessons learned from the last tank. First and foremost is making the tank as silent as possible. I'm looking hard at the Precision Marine Pro48 sump. I tend to stock heavy and want to have plenty of room for a oversized skimmer and fuge.

I previously ran a Vertex skimmer and really liked it but I know there are other great options out there. The new tank has the Monterey Stand and Canopy so there's quite a bit of room for a large skimmer. I'm not entirely sure what skimmer to go with but the DC pumps are new to me and I'd like to be as energy efficient as possible so any suggestions are appreciated.

Also seeking input on lighting, I previously had an Aquatic life t5 8 lamp fixture which I really liked but I'd like to go led's with this build. I may eventually try a carpet anemone so I'm looking for a light that will work.

Lastly I'm in need of return pump advice, again energy efficiency in mind I'm thinking a DC pump will be my best bet. This will be a slow build as I've got alot of aux equipment to procure and setup. I'm planning on 2) 40 breeders as qt tanks.

I welcome all input and advise on this one so let me have em!

Thanks
Matt:fish2:

vhuang168
08/11/2016, 09:53 AM
What brands/models did you have in mind? Price ranges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwhunter
08/11/2016, 09:57 AM
Other than the PM sump no real ideas on the other stuff. Price isn't as important to me as quality.

solitude127
08/11/2016, 11:00 AM
For powerheads, the MP40 Quiet Drive is a HUGE improvement on noise compared to the old MP40ES.

gwhunter
08/11/2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the input on the power heads, the most noise in my last tank was from the overflow plumbing. The tank wasn't reef ready and the filter sock setup wasn't done as well as it could have been.

fishyguy7
08/11/2016, 06:30 PM
I would recommend that you look into bean animal overflow plumbing.

Jayreefer
08/11/2016, 06:36 PM
I just have a glass tank I made into a sump. Using durso/reverse durso setup and mine is silent. I run a RLSS 10i in my sump and love it.

For return pump you might want to look at a DC. You can run a cheap one like the jabeo, or look at waveline for better quality. I like how controllable the DC pumps are. I am currently using a 10 year old Ehiem 1262 that is still working perfectly so I have not switched yet.

As for lighting I am a fan of hybrid lights as I prefer the color I can get. I use a mix of 150W MH and LED. I am not a fan of t5 as I dont like the bulb change expense. At least with the MH at 8 hours a day I can do them every 1.5-2 years.

degibson84
08/11/2016, 06:52 PM
I would recommend the aquamaxx Q-3 skimmer.

vhuang168
08/11/2016, 08:37 PM
If money is no object and you prize design and quality above all else.

Look at getting a Dreambox sump. It will come with skimmer, media reactors, return and many more options you can add on like a remote fuge etc.

Jayreefer
08/11/2016, 08:55 PM
If money is no object and you prize design and quality above all else.

Look at getting a Dreambox sump. It will come with skimmer, media reactors, return and many more options you can add on like a remote fuge etc.

yes to that. so many good things. Dream sump by far. And I bet it will be silent too.

locito277
08/12/2016, 12:08 AM
You can make your own 75 gallon sump that can be used as a refugium with a compartment for a nice sized skimmer. I've read good things about Nyos skimmers and have a 300 for one setup and for a similar sized tank to yours I'm going with the 220 model. Supposedly ultra quiet. I'm setting up now so keep
You posted as if they work as well as advertised

gwhunter
08/12/2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies, I looked around a little yesterday and took a liking to the Ecotech Vectra pumps. Keep in mind that I'm going fowlr so I cant see going MH or adding reactors to the sump as I don't see the need.