PDA

View Full Version : What in the world am I suppose to put in the middle of this sump?

Mr.Shrimps
08/11/2016, 04:30 PM
Is this section for a refugium? I think it's way to small of an area to be a refugium and I believe its a horrible sump design because it gets zero flow and the water just becomes stagnant. I got it from Cadlights. Any opinions or thoughts of what its for?

Thanks.:wave:

Lsufan
08/11/2016, 05:21 PM
It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it is only about 3" wide. If that's the case I wouldn't be able to even fit my return pump in it. If it was mine I would drill for a bulkhead in that section & use it to pull water for a exterior return pump. That way u could actually get some use out of the whole sump. How the baffles are u would probably have to make the right section the skimmer section & the left section the fuge. That way the water level would stay consistent in the skimmer section & the fuge height would be determined by how much water u actually have in the sump. That or replace the second baffle on the left bubble trap with one closer to the height of the right side. It is definetly a odd design though.

FamilyTank
08/11/2016, 05:28 PM
Looking at it,the rt side I would make your return side.Lt side sock and drain and middle I would load with Marine Pure biomedia.

scelona
08/11/2016, 05:35 PM
That is one weird looking sump, if I was you I would cut the baffles out and reposition or get some custom baffles made from a local glass shop (I had 6 pieces cut for around $30). You have nowhere to put a refugium and the second baffle from the left looks unnecessarily short. This is normally where your return pump would go but I would be afraid of it running dry since the water height will be so low even when that chamber is full. There's also no need for the two outside baffles to go to the top of the sump.

scelona
08/11/2016, 05:38 PM
Looking at it,the rt side I would make your return side.Lt side sock and drain and middle I would load with Marine Pure biomedia.

The issue with this is that the water would be running "uphill" and you essentially have a two chamber sump at this point. So if you're going that route then just rip those left two baffles out.

undbulsu
08/14/2016, 06:48 PM
Probably a space for a foam insert to remove bubbles

kozmic
08/14/2016, 06:51 PM
MarinePure balls? (thats probably what I would run in there...)

AlSimmons
08/14/2016, 06:55 PM
Nothing IMO. Don't clutter it up. ;)

C.Eymann
08/15/2016, 08:57 AM
Nothing IMO. Don't clutter it up. ;)

+1

Less clutter=easier to keep clean.

You could fill it with matrix, siporax or other media like mentioned, but if you do put it in a mesh bag or somehow make it easier to remove for cleaning.

Just my two pennies

jemw
09/26/2016, 12:25 PM
+1

Less clutter=easier to keep clean.

You could fill it with matrix, siporax or other media like mentioned, but if you do put it in a mesh bag or somehow make it easier to remove for cleaning.

Just my two pennies

Corrie try this instead of pennies press and hold the Alt key then enter 155 and release the Alt key and walah ¢

eshtog
09/26/2016, 12:37 PM
MarinePure balls? (thats probably what I would run in there...)

Good advice. That's what I would do.

d2mini
09/26/2016, 01:55 PM
Probably a space for a foam insert to remove bubbles

That's what I was going to say.

The marine pure balls would work, too.
Or a heater.

brett559
09/26/2016, 02:22 PM
Heater.

That New Guy
09/26/2016, 02:36 PM
The issue with this is that the water would be running "uphill" and you essentially have a two chamber sump at this point. So if you're going that route then just rip those left two baffles out.

Left side return/skimmer, right side filter sock/refugium... middle empty.

fcmatt
09/26/2016, 02:46 PM
Carbon or gfo in a bag. Heater is a great idea. PH probe perhaps.

major stare
09/26/2016, 03:08 PM
Right chamber - inlet (Filter sock if you want one) and skimmer.
Middle - carbon bag and heater.
Left - return pump and P04 reactor with pump mounted in the middle section.

Only concern, how deep is the water level in the left hand chamber for a return pump?