PDA

View Full Version : Tank to stand gap question

Meshmez
08/11/2016, 05:54 PM
I built a stand for my 150 gallon rimless tank. I checked that the top was flat (3/4" oak ply). upon putting the tank on the stand, 3 corners are tight to the stand, the front right corner is off the stand by about 5/64". the gap starts about 2' in on the left and gradually gets up to the 5/64" gap.

I rotated the tank on the stand so that the front right corner is now in the back left. The gap is now in the back left.

Can anyone think of a scenario where this would happen and it be the stand that is incorrect and not the tank?

tank maker is being very cooperative with me, but i want to make 100% sure its not my stand before having the tank rebuilt.

Lsufan
08/11/2016, 06:54 PM
It sounds like from what u are saying that it is the tank. I would put a straight edge across the front of the stand & do the same thing on the back of the stand. Even if it's straight in the front & back check it corner to corner to see if the stand might be twisted. If the stand is straight & not twisted u can put a straightedge on the tank itself & see what that shows u.

davocean
08/11/2016, 06:56 PM
Take a straight edge or even a tightly drawn string to your stand if you want to check it

Meshmez
08/11/2016, 07:16 PM
I used a 6' level/straight edge on the stand diagonally and along where the tank sits before putting the tank on and it looked ok. If i put it across the front with the tank on the stand still looks ok. i cant take the tank off by myself though so i cant re-check the diagonal. though it should be good. if the stand is warping from just the weight of the tank i would have bigger problems! i dont think this is the case though.

im pretty sure its the tank, i just wanted to get other opinions before i go the route of having it rebuilt. since the gap follows the tank, i assume its the tank. i just wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas,

Vinny Kreyling
08/12/2016, 08:42 AM
I would get help & remove the tank then check it with the level.
It can be stood on end for a short time.

cheezybuda
08/12/2016, 08:48 AM
This may sound silly but check the level of your floor. The stand might be flexing with the weight of the tank. I had the same problem. My floor had a slope to it

Meshmez
08/12/2016, 10:38 AM
This may sound silly but check the level of your floor. The stand might be flexing with the weight of the tank. I had the same problem. My floor had a slope to it

if that were the case i would expect it to always be related to the same corner of the stand. in this case if i rotate the tank on the stand, the gap follows the tank, not the stand.

last night I slid the tank so that the front edge was about 1/2" hanging over the front of the stand and used a 6' straight edge to check it, it appears its not straight, as the gap appeared in the same spot. I rotated the tank and did the same test on the back edge of the tank, and it was dead straight.

StrongArm145
08/12/2016, 06:39 PM
i would measure the tank at the bottom on both sides long ways (front and back) and see if they are the same and then do that for the stand you built and see what one is off. because all sides should be the same.

davocean
08/12/2016, 07:25 PM
if that were the case i would expect it to always be related to the same corner of the stand. in this case if i rotate the tank on the stand, the gap follows the tank, not the stand.

last night I slid the tank so that the front edge was about 1/2" hanging over the front of the stand and used a 6' straight edge to check it, it appears its not straight, as the gap appeared in the same spot. I rotated the tank and did the same test on the back edge of the tank, and it was dead straight.

This already gives the answer right here, tank is out

Meshmez
08/12/2016, 07:53 PM
This already gives the answer right here, tank is out

Yep! looks like the tank is the issue.. now to get the builder to agree...