PDA

View Full Version : Brain corals

SeaCucumberFan
08/12/2016, 02:47 AM
I've been thinking about getting a small open/closed brain coral. I've had one before, but it soon died. Are there any special requirements for these? Where should I put it? Sand or rock? My tank is 25 gallons, everything is doing alright, nothing showing any signs of sickness or dying. No fish will pick on it maybe except small valentini puffer. Inverts I fear will bother it are emerald crabs, cuke, and coral banded shrimp. Thanks :fish1:

PsychoticBeauty
08/12/2016, 10:19 AM
As long as the lighting is sufficient and your parameters are within reason it doesn't really matter where you put them IME. They don't like a whole lot of low, but aside from that it's just a set it and forget type of piece. They like to be fed too. As far as things picking at the coral goes, the only one that really stands out is that puffer. If it wanted to it could do some serious damage. Be careful.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/trachyphyllia-geoffroyi-and-the-exwellsophyllia-radiata.htm

SeaCucumberFan
08/12/2016, 06:29 PM
Valentinis eat brains? Wow, I never knew. I think I'll get one or maybe a chalice instead. What corals does valentini eat? It hasn't done anything to the other corals.

recluse
08/14/2016, 09:41 AM
Not necessarily, but that beak they have can be dangerous. They're kind of sketchy IME. (more so than a Dwarf Angel)