PDA

View Full Version : Biocube replacement fan - electrical q

pikes1654
08/12/2016, 05:54 PM
Just recently got my new coralife biocube 29 and like many others...the factory fans are driving me a little nuts. I'm not completely uncomfortable on doing electric related work. I have a deep respect for it and often ask questions to ensure I don't burn my house down.

On that note...I was hunting around for replacement fan options that carried a similar set of stats from the stock variety with the major exception of lower decibels. In other words, 60mmx25mm in size, around 15.8 CFM, and please pretty please way less than 25.5Db. I think I found a nice replacement option in the Nanoxia Deep Silence Fan (NDS60-2000). At 12V, it gets 16CFM and just 12Db! It is a 3-pin based connector which can be converted to 2 pin with an adapter very easily. Rated current in 0.16 amps and a rated power of 1.92 watts.

Is this compatible? Will it burn my house down :)

mcgyvr
08/13/2016, 08:31 AM
Assuming the stock fan is also 12V and that the power supply for it can supply the 2 watts (I'm virtually positive it can as thats nothing) it will be just fine..

johnzimm
10/04/2016, 07:34 AM
Just recently got my new coralife biocube 29 and like many others...the factory fans are driving me a little nuts. I'm not completely uncomfortable on doing electric related work. I have a deep respect for it and often ask questions to ensure I don't burn my house down.

Did you replace the fans? I too am looking for replacement fans for my 29 BioCube. and all the fans I have found have different Amp numbers. Is that OK?

jayball
10/04/2016, 07:44 AM
Did you replace the fans? I too am looking for replacement fans for my 29 BioCube. and all the fans I have found have different Amp numbers. Is that OK?

It needs to be matched to the powersupply, as long as it is rated for the same voltage and less amperage than it can supply you are fine. Odds are that anything you find that will be approprate, I looked at a couple and they were all under 2 watts. It would be hard to design a powersupply that could not supply more than that.