PDA

View Full Version : 2" Deresa now close to 10" (My feedback for Deresa newbies)

matt888
08/13/2016, 07:14 PM
It's been quite a while since I've posted, but wanted to share my Deresa clam with this group... especially those that are considering this particular species or just bought one. First off, I'm not insinuating I'm and expert and THAT is exactly why I wanted to share my experience with other beginners. I've had 30, 180, 210, and presently, just a 40g setup. My 180 was a packed SPS setup, but due to several moves, it is no more. I found out the hard way that SPS do not enjoy major tank moves and no matter how much I kept everything the "same", I could only watch all my hard work and growth fade away. But I digress! I picked up a 2" Deresa in Sep 2011 and placed it in a 30g biocube. I had little success with both soft and hard coral at the time and really had no business buying a clam. Despite my unknowingly best effort to kill him, he persevered. You see, I had a salinity calibration kit that indicated I was at 1.025, yet my hard coral was bleaching, my soft coral was melting, and my little Deresa was gaping like crazy. It took nearly 3 weeks before I figured out the salinity issue, yet this little Deresa stayed with me. Somewhere around the 2yr mark I moved him into a 180g and at the 4yr mark, he was transferred into a 210g and survived a total meltdown of my SPS colonies. I then downsized to a 40g, which has been moved twice in the past 1.5yrs. Through all of these moves, this clam has grown. I've had stretches of 2 months without water changes (I do always run a skimmer), stretches without measuring or adding Alk/Ca to maintain constant levels, and definitely stretches of algae/elevated phosphate levels.

Through the past 4.5 yrs with this guy, I've come to the conclusion that maintaining a good light source is primarily the key to success. He has been under metal halides the entire time I've had him. 250w Radiums in the 30-40g tanks and 400w Radiums in the 180-210g tanks. Light duration has been approximately 7hrs a day throughout the yrs. Bellow is a pic of him in Sep 2011 basking in 1.035 salinity 30g tank and the last few pictures are from today in a 40g (1.025sg). He continues to grow new shell and will probably be 12" by New Years. Anyways, just wanted to share my experience with others and definitely believe the Deresa is a beginner clam. Just give them strong lighting (halides), maintain the proper salinity, and you're 90% on your way to growing an NFL football in your aquarium! Cheers!

rpjaws74
08/13/2016, 10:57 PM
thank you for sharing the story specially since I'm debating purchasing one.

farfromsea
08/14/2016, 12:10 AM
So are you happy with the experience of having a large clam in a small(er) tank? I have had my eyes on getting a clam for a while (maxima however) but since I have a 24x24x24 cube I'm a little hesitant to get something that will grow up to 12-16" and cannot be trimmed like coral.

matt888
08/14/2016, 06:23 AM
With the exception of my false clown, I've had the Deresa longer than all other marine life in my systems. The clam is by far my favorite.

I do not plan on keeping him in this 40g for more than another 1.5-2 yrs max and I don't want you all to believe I'm advocating to put giant clams in small tanks as they grow. Heck, from a "space" standpoint, you can easily argue putting a tang in a 210g is not right...

I just wanted to share how hardy Deresas can be and what I found to be the most important factor in getting them to grow and stay healthy. #1 is light. Temperatures of 73-82 F seem to all be fine in my experience, but shoot for 75-78 without crazy swings.

As for a Maxima... I do NOT suggest you try one as your first clam. They are not as hardy or as tolerant of water chemistry fluctuations as the Deresas.

I see absolutely no reason you should avoid putting a 2-3" Deresa in a 30-40g tank if you atleast consider the fact that you'll have to consider a bigger tank in 3-4 yrs. Throw a 250W Radium over the top about 18-24" above the water, place the clam on the sand, and don't move him around too much. Also, I'm not one to reach in my tanks but maybe once or twice a month. If I need to move something, I use graspers or plastic rods to move things around.

matt888
08/14/2016, 08:07 AM
Halide is off in pic, but this is a typical look they'll have with a little bit of ambient light coming in from a far window... slightly open, mantle sticking up and out about 1/3. Without any light, he'll usually be 95% closed. Once the halide comes on, he'll be fully open within 15min or so. You can see new shell growth also below, which is from about the past 4-6wks and is approximately 1/2" in a few areas.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/matt888_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg

kfisc
08/14/2016, 02:42 PM
You've illustrated good clam keeping in just a few posts. Nice work!

Wazzel
08/15/2016, 12:30 PM
The growth rate on deresa clams is crazy. Mine has more than doubled in size in less than a year. I picked it up as bargain 2" at the LFS and put it in my 20 frag tank. It is now well over 4" and made the move to my 120 just over a week ago.

mystersyster
08/16/2016, 03:23 AM
I too was worried about the success of a derasa in my 40 breeder. Got a little guy in may, about 2 1/2 inches, and he's just started to pack on growth. Its noticeable every couple of weeks. Bought him a bigger brother who is doing well too. They are great clams.

farfromsea
08/17/2016, 10:47 PM
...I do not plan on keeping him in this 40g for more than another 1.5-2 yrs max and I don't want you all to believe I'm advocating to put giant clams in small tanks as they grow. Heck, from a "space" standpoint, you can easily argue putting a tang in a 210g is not right...

As for a Maxima... I do NOT suggest you try one as your first clam. They are not as hardy or as tolerant of water chemistry fluctuations as the Deresas.

I see absolutely no reason you should avoid putting a 2-3" Deresa in a 30-40g tank if you atleast consider the fact that you'll have to consider a bigger tank in 3-4 yrs. Throw a 250W Radium over the top about 18-24" above the water, place the clam on the sand, and don't move him around too much. Also, I'm not one to reach in my tanks but maybe once or twice a month. If I need to move something, I use graspers or plastic rods to move things around.

Yes I've definitely heard the maximas are difficult to keep compared to Derasas. I'm not planning on getting a tank larger than my 55 gal cube so I might just give up on the clam idea. Unlike fish though the clams don't really need swimming space, correct? I had read they move around a little but I'm not sure how space conscious I should be. I'm still on the fence about getting one, clearly.

matt888
08/18/2016, 05:59 AM
Yes I've definitely heard the maximas are difficult to keep compared to Derasas. I'm not planning on getting a tank larger than my 55 gal cube so I might just give up on the clam idea. Unlike fish though the clams don't really need swimming space, correct? I had read they move around a little but I'm not sure how space conscious I should be. I'm still on the fence about getting one, clearly.

Maybe consider a Squamosa instead since they don't get quite as big as a Derasa. I believe they max out around 16". That would give you a little extra room and they are supposed to be similar with respect to hardiness and care. I plan on upgrading just because of my clam and just picked up another 2" Derasa recently. It's an ORA cultured one with the thin mantle striping. If you look at the last pic, you'll see why my upgrade will most likely be a large cube tank next time!

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/matt888_photo/image_4.jpeg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/matt888_photo/image_3.jpeg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/matt888_photo/image_5.jpeg

farfromsea
08/18/2016, 07:18 AM
What exactly about the last pic is suggestive the clam is cramped? Is it because it is closed? Probably a dense question...lol

matt888
08/18/2016, 08:36 AM
What exactly about the last pic is suggestive the clam is cramped? Is it because it is closed? Probably a dense question...lol

Good question. Because it's NOT a Derasa. It's a Hippopus! :)

farfromsea
08/18/2016, 01:14 PM
Interesting per my brief reading they are hard to come by? Anyhow, it seems it only gets 11-15" but i suppose with 2 Derasas and the Hippopus there won't be any space...

matt888
08/18/2016, 01:45 PM
They have been historically hard to come by, but they are now being cultured and you can find them at the moment at Divers Den/Live Aquaria. Their shells are quite unique and while they are not as glamorous as say a Maxima, I think they are different and appealing in their own way. Some literature says they get to 16" long, others say 16" wide (holy crap). We'll see what happens...

blueclam99
08/19/2016, 11:29 PM
Matt88, you must love clams like I do. Last April I bought 2 1/4" hippopus from LiveAquaria. I measured it last week since it looked more than doubled. Now it is almost 6". It is very heavy, too. I agree with you about its appearance. It is not beautiful clam like maxima or crocea, but I love the way the shells look.

matt888
08/21/2016, 10:09 AM
Matt88, you must love clams like I do. Last April I bought 2 1/4" hippopus from LiveAquaria. I measured it last week since it looked more than doubled. Now it is almost 6". It is very heavy, too. I agree with you about its appearance. It is not beautiful clam like maxima or crocea, but I love the way the shells look.

Awesome! Glad to hear the Hippopus is doing well. I hope I can report back with the same results. What lighting are you running and what have you found the Hippopus to prefer? Obviously he's happy with that amount of growth!

ca1ore
08/22/2016, 09:19 AM
Of the giant clams available to the trade, a happy deresa or squamosa will grow at a remarkable rate. Plenty of light, calcium and a bit of nitrate and watch out. My 3" squamosa has grown to almost a foot in about three years.

blueclam99
08/22/2016, 09:43 AM
Matt88, mine is kept under Radion 30XR. Since hipppus live in the similar depth as crocea, I assme you can give a plenty of lights. My par range is 300 at peak (customerized mode). The nitrate level back in last May was 60ppm with Red Sea testing kits since the tank has lots of tangs. I dose ESV B-ionic. I used to use calcium reactor and then BRS 2parts. After I switched it to ESV, all of my clams seem to be happier and add new shells on a weekly basis. I keep calcium 440, dkh 10-11 and mag 1360 for my clam tanks.

matt888
08/22/2016, 04:15 PM
Matt88, mine is kept under Radion 30XR. Since hipppus live in the similar depth as crocea, I assme you can give a plenty of lights. My par range is 300 at peak (customerized mode). The nitrate level back in last May was 60ppm with Red Sea testing kits since the tank has lots of tangs. I dose ESV B-ionic. I used to use calcium reactor and then BRS 2parts. After I switched it to ESV, all of my clams seem to be happier and add new shells on a weekly basis. I keep calcium 440, dkh 10-11 and mag 1360 for my clam tanks.

Thanks for the info. I'm about to setup my dosing pumps on this 40g shortly. I had nothing but problems with a reactor on my large SPS system a few yrs back, so will stick to 2-part... it appears I'm only going through maybe 15-20ml a day right now in Alk but still checking. I'm at the 1 week mark with my Hippopus now and it appears to be happy. Does the new shell growth come from just inside the lip? If you have any pics, please post em up in this thread!

blueclam99
08/22/2016, 10:07 PM
Unlike other clams I have, I've noticed normal "white" new she'll. I know hippopus builds muck thicker/ heavy shells. They also need more carbon to do so. Believe or not so reefers keep hippopus in the sump to control nutrients, such as nitrate and po3. sorry that I won't be able to post any pics for awhile. We had strom damages in the house and it is under construction. My fish room was ok. They are doing spray insulation for the next 3 days. We were sealing the doors to the fish room all day today. We just came back to the hotel. I will send you or post some pictures later on. Though I am afraid algae will be all over with high phosphate from toxic caused by the spray. I hope my clams are still alive when I opened the door this Friday.

matt888
08/23/2016, 05:41 PM
Yes, I hope all is well with your livestock too. Over the years I never had issues with my wife spraying air fresheners or other cleaning products in the house. All my livestock remained healthy, regardless of a few instances of random chemicals in the air... with one exception and it was my fault. We had some extremely hot weather and I was cleaning up some tools inside to avoid the heat. A wood planer with metal table extentions was what I was busting my butt on actually. I was in the reef tank room lightly sanding and spraying a WD lubricant. Not standard WD40, but a variety made for dry lube of metal surfaces, blades, etc. I quickly noticed an oil layer on the surface of the tank, but it was too late. I lost several inverts. A pair of Coral Banded Shrimp that I had for 3 yrs and caught myself, a few Emerald crabs that I also had collected, and believe it even killed my yellow banana wrasse. Everything that was going to die, died within like 3-4 days. Crazy because other than that incident, I've had nearly zero losses since beginning saltwater in 2009.

I believe I read something about metal being in the WD40 I was using. Don't recall exactly what it is, but it will takeout livestock!

I hope their isn't any chemicals landing in your reef tank(s)!

blueclam99
08/24/2016, 08:41 AM
Thank you for your inf, matt88. The spray works just started this morning. The entire job won't be completed until this Friday. We will be out of the town this weekend. I will find out damages on Sunday evening. I have 9 clams in the tanks. Lots of clownfish and healthy semi-weekli splitting BTAs

Willyboz1
09/12/2016, 09:43 PM
I was considering a clam for my 60 cube but I'm reconsidering after reading this

electronaught
09/25/2016, 08:43 PM
Sounds like the clam purchase will wait until the 300g is set up and running!
Thanks for all the great info!

Wazzel
09/26/2016, 02:49 PM
I was considering a clam for my 60 cube but I'm reconsidering after reading this

Depends on how big the clam is when you get it. I kept a black T Max in my 60 cube. It was 1-1.5 inches when I got it. It is about 3 inches now, about year and a half later.