PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a fuge for a 125g

michaelmmreef01
08/14/2016, 12:01 AM
Hello all! So, I did some research as to which was more effective at removing nitrates....an algae scrubber or refugium. It looks like the majority say a fuge is more effective. I think I would like to set one up (all equipment on this tank right now is HOB), but it has been a long while since I have set up a fuge. My tank is not drilled. So where do I start exactly? lol...so I know I need a tank, but I'm not sure what size. Also am not sure which HOB device would be good to get the water from the tank to the fuge. Any recommendations would be fantastic. Thanks! :)

Ron Reefman
08/14/2016, 05:29 AM
I'm just getting ready to set up a 125g tank with a small (to me) 40g sump. So I'm going to get a 36" wide kitchen cabinet that matches the new stand. I'll put it right next to the stand and tank. Then I'll put a 50g homemade, rimless display refugium (roughly 2'x2'x20") on top of the new cabinet.

My tank and the new refugium will be drilled so I will have different plumbing then you will. My old system was 2 tanks (180g & 75g) on a stand with a 180g sump/refugium. I didn't have emergency overflows. So I turned a drain into an emergency drain and added a siphon overflow to each tank to make up the loss of the original drain. Drilling for emergency drains on an established 180g tank isn't a possibility! BTW, I used old school siphon overflows until somebody gave me a couple of CRP siphon overflows and I added aqualifter pumps. They worked great together and I never lost the siphon.

So you will need a siphon overflow to get water out of your tank and into the fuge. And you'll need a pump to get water from your fuge back to the tank.

Questions for you:
1) Will the fuge be glass or acrylic?
2) Will it be drilled?
3) Will it have sections or a weir overflow so there is a place to put the pump separate from the fuge, or just a tank?
4) Where will the fuge sit in relation to the tank? (in the stand, next to it, beside the tank?)
5) Have you considered a sump/fuge instead?

FLSharkvictim
08/14/2016, 08:44 AM
Here is the proper way for setting up a natural mangrove / macro Refugium!! I added 2 '' layer of Ecosystems Miracle Mud and a 1'' Layer of Carib Sea Crushed Coral to stop any cloudiness from entering my last compartment of my sump where my M1 main pump is located. Also my Refugium light I went with is the brand new Celestial C35-A Aquatic for growing my Marco.. I have it set on 50% RED & 50 % WHITE and the Cheato that grows like a weed. Last but not least, I am waiting on my supplier for my mangroves to come in that I get off EBAY. I only buy them from one guy since he has the best quality and the most healthiest mangroves on the market. His handle name on ebay is bamboo-dynasty. Also, here is a short video I did on this subject.
https://youtu.be/qyDDdWTy_GQ

***TANK INFO****
120 deep reef ready
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Monstzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge 36 x 15 x 15
2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's
Celestial C35W Maxspect Grow light
AquaticLife T5 HO light fixture 48''
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master doser
Smart ATO Micro
Eshoops Container w/ Float Valve

Ron Reefman
08/14/2016, 03:04 PM
Mangroves in a refugium are OK if that is a look you want. But they do very, VERY little to remove nitrates and phosphates as they grow way too slow. And just how tall can they get before they are into your light? Then you are trimming it back or pulling it out and risk the roots making a mess of your carefully layered mud and sand.

I have a few, but just for looks. And they are so easy to grow. We pick them up off the beach in the spring, let them grow for a year and then start over. You really are concerned about your mangrove supplier? 99% of the ones I pick up off the beach grow just fine! Wait a minute, your avatar says you live in Seminole, Florida and you are buying mangroves! Please tell me that's old data and you now live far away from huge mangrove populations!

michaelmmreef01
08/15/2016, 07:33 PM
I'm just getting ready to set up a 125g tank with a small (to me) 40g sump. So I'm going to get a 36" wide kitchen cabinet that matches the new stand. I'll put it right next to the stand and tank. Then I'll put a 50g homemade, rimless display refugium (roughly 2'x2'x20") on top of the new cabinet.

My tank and the new refugium will be drilled so I will have different plumbing then you will. My old system was 2 tanks (180g & 75g) on a stand with a 180g sump/refugium. I didn't have emergency overflows. So I turned a drain into an emergency drain and added a siphon overflow to each tank to make up the loss of the original drain. Drilling for emergency drains on an established 180g tank isn't a possibility! BTW, I used old school siphon overflows until somebody gave me a couple of CRP siphon overflows and I added aqualifter pumps. They worked great together and I never lost the siphon.

So you will need a siphon overflow to get water out of your tank and into the fuge. And you'll need a pump to get water from your fuge back to the tank.

Questions for you:
1) Will the fuge be glass or acrylic?
2) Will it be drilled?
3) Will it have sections or a weir overflow so there is a place to put the pump separate from the fuge, or just a tank?
4) Where will the fuge sit in relation to the tank? (in the stand, next to it, beside the tank?)
5) Have you considered a sump/fuge instead?

Thank you! The fuge is going to be a glass tank, and it won't be drilled. It likely won't have sections (not sure how to do that), but maybe I can figure out how to do one to separate the macro from the return pump? I would like to put the tank under the stand, but I'm not sure the bottom of the stand can hold it. It seems hollow underneath. So I could put it next to it. :)

Thanks again.

michaelmmreef01
08/15/2016, 07:34 PM
Here is the proper way for setting up a natural mangrove / macro Refugium!! I added 2 '' layer of Ecosystems Miracle Mud and a 1'' Layer of Carib Sea Crushed Coral to stop any cloudiness from entering my last compartment of my sump where my M1 main pump is located. Also my Refugium light I went with is the brand new Celestial C35-A Aquatic for growing my Marco.. I have it set on 50% RED & 50 % WHITE and the Cheato that grows like a weed. Last but not least, I am waiting on my supplier for my mangroves to come in that I get off EBAY. I only buy them from one guy since he has the best quality and the most healthiest mangroves on the market. His handle name on ebay is bamboo-dynasty. Also, here is a short video I did on this subject.
https://youtu.be/qyDDdWTy_GQ

***TANK INFO****
120 deep reef ready
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Monstzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge 36 x 15 x 15
2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's
Celestial C35W Maxspect Grow light
AquaticLife T5 HO light fixture 48''
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master doser