PDA

View Full Version : Ro water/ salt water storage outside?

305phins
08/14/2016, 09:34 PM
I have a question.. Can I store my ro water and pre mixed salt water for water changes outside. Will temperature affect the water? I live in South Florida and it gets fairly hot. Water will be stored in brute trash cans with power heads. They will not get direct sunlight for most of the day. Will this be problematic?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bertoni
08/14/2016, 09:36 PM
If the temperature rises enough, calcium carbonate might start precipitating. You could try a small sample to see how it responds. How high does the temperature rise? Someone here might have some experience with this issue.

Ron Reefman
08/15/2016, 04:13 AM
I'm directly across the state from you in Cape Coral and I can confirm what Jonathan said. I often mix and store saltwater in my garage for a day or two after mixing it. Temps in the garage reach the mid to upper 90's during the day (but no direct sun). The Brute will get a white film of calcium carbonate on the sides. I usually just wipe it off and set the pump to max and leave it for an hour or two before I use it.

The longer you keep it in the heat the worse it seems to get.

305phins
08/15/2016, 02:54 PM
As long as you mix it with a strong pump before using it would it be ok?

bertoni
08/15/2016, 06:09 PM
The pump probably won't do much. If the salt mix has some organics in it, a pump might prevent some anaerobic decay. I've stored saltwater for months with no pump, and had no problems.

305phins
08/15/2016, 06:32 PM
Ok then. I'm thinking I might just make the water the same day that I do the water change. That way I don't have to store anything

GTR
08/16/2016, 06:45 AM
I store RO, soft water and a blend of the 2 outside in a shed open on one end. The RO/soft blend gets cloudy after a couple of days. I'm guessing it's a bacterial bloom since there's no chlorine.

tmz
08/16/2016, 09:25 AM
In the heat the calcium and carbonate alkainity in the salt will precipitate out of solution which can cause cloudy water and calcim carbonate deposits.When this happens , it also lowers teh amunt of alk and calcium in the water.

Bacterial blooms are a possibility in still water if the salt mix contains organics.