PDA

View Full Version : Radion Gen 3 to 4 Upgrade?

johnmiller81
08/15/2016, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know if Radion announced an upgrade kit to go from a Gen 3 to Gen 4? One of the big reasons I choose the Gen 3's almost 3 years ago was because it was modular and allowed for upgrades.

adw
08/15/2016, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately no.

Squidmotron
08/15/2016, 12:17 PM
Looks like they are just too different.

mattgumaer
08/15/2016, 12:36 PM
Maybe at least a lens upgrade will be available?

Matt

aquapod24
08/15/2016, 03:39 PM
The new HEI lense will not be available for older models as of now. Hopefully in the near future they make a upgraded lense for the older radions.

johnmiller81
08/15/2016, 06:25 PM
Is your information based on confirmation from EcoTech?

aquapod24
08/15/2016, 07:33 PM
Yes... check out what Ecotech said...

http://reefsupplies.ca/online-store/content/g4/G4_Release_Packet_072816_web.pdf

aquapod24
08/15/2016, 07:34 PM
Release packet information given to retail stores

johnmiller81
08/16/2016, 07:44 AM
Wow, I feel suckered by EcoTech yet again.

chucko
08/16/2016, 08:04 AM
Same here. I just bought my Radion G3 Pro's back in Sept. One of the main reasons I was willing to spend so much is that they've always been upgrade-able. Not that there is anything wrong with my G3's, but I like new tech. Can't imagine a lot of people would ditch their G3's for the G4's but I'm sure lots would be willing to pay the cost to upgrade. Seems pretty crappy on Ecotech's part.

Alex Y EcoTech
08/16/2016, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, the technical improvements in the new G4 required the use of a new heatsink, LED clusters, lenses, driver board and power supply. Because of these changes the shared parts between the G4 and previous models are minimal. With this in mind, attempting an upgrade from a previous model Radion would equate to the same cost as purchasing a new G4. That said, if you're having good results with your current model Radion, upgrading is not recommended.

lenny491
08/16/2016, 01:32 PM
if you're having good results with your current model Radion, upgrading is not recommended.
Since when upgrading to "the most sophisticated lens design available" is NOT recommended?.. Is this a joke?

Dainese954
08/16/2016, 03:09 PM
Same here. I just bought my Radion G3 Pro's back in Sept. One of the main reasons I was willing to spend so much is that they've always been upgrade-able. Not that there is anything wrong with my G3's, but I like new tech. Can't imagine a lot of people would ditch their G3's for the G4's but I'm sure lots would be willing to pay the cost to upgrade. Seems pretty crappy on Ecotech's part.

I agree! I chose the Radion Gen 3 XR30 solely based on ease of upgrade. Now Ecotech is basically told us that we are no longer able to upgrade our current fixtures, I feel cheated.......:fun2:

aquapod24
08/16/2016, 03:14 PM
People please understand what the point of a business is! It's to stay in business and make money. Ecotech has done an amazing job with all of their products and services for years already. I do not know of any other business that bends over backwards to take care of their customers and even service products out of warranty. It's great that Ecotech has offered their customers for the past years the option to even upgrade. I don't know about you but I have not been able to send my Samsung 1080p tv in to get it upgraded to a 4k tv. It's simply not fair to hold Ecotech accountable for wanting to move up in technology which causes the need for new parts. They kept their customers in mind, it works with RMS, it works with apex. Do not bash a company because they offered what hardly any other company has done. If they never went above and beyond this would not be an issue for people. I have grown a lot of coral with their gen 3 pro models. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. However if your that person that needs the latest and greatest sell yulour old Radions. Ecotech products are great and because they are great they hold their value. Thanks Ecotech for being the best of the best

Mr. Brooks
08/17/2016, 12:27 AM
The problem with your analogy is that Samsung never advertised upgradability as a selling point.

I feel like Ecotech would win over a lot of hearts and minds if they produced new lenses that fit on old Radions. I imagine it wouldn't cost much. Just a little in tooling. They'd make their money back quick, keep their current customers happy and put future customers mind's at ease.

Mr. Brooks
08/17/2016, 12:32 AM
Also, the upgradability feature kept resale value high on radions. I imagine resale value is going to drop SIGNIFICANTLY on all previous radions. I know when I spent several G's on a handful of lights, I did it with the confidence that if I wasn't happy with them, I could sell them at a minimal loss. Will future customers have that same confidence?

aquapod24
08/17/2016, 10:30 AM
I completely understand what you are saying and since they had the opportunity with previous models why not after the option to upgrade. Set the standard is what I say. The problem is people assumed their lights in the future would guarantee the same. I say let Ecotech stay in business, let them make some money. Once the recoup cost of development, paying their employees, advertisement etc etc... basically once EBITA is profit then possibly manufacturer lenses for the precious radions. Just like I said in my comment precious to this. Hopefully in the near future they have them available for us.

aquapod24
08/17/2016, 10:32 AM
I get it, I can assure you I am not a rich man lol I just invested in 5 radion gen 3 pro's less than a year ago. They are growing my coral well so eh it's not the latest and greatest according to.what people say but I am happy with my results.

d2mini
08/17/2016, 11:04 AM
I think anyone who is upset that they are not upgradeable this time is not comprehending what Alex explained above. So much is new, that it would be cost prohibitive for you to upgrade. So what you are really mad about is that they upgraded nearly everything. It's not like they just upgraded the cluster and are refusing to sell it by it's lonesome.

So yes, you can still upgrade your G3 to the G4. You just end up with a brand new unit to get it all.

johnmiller81
08/18/2016, 05:08 PM
I completely agree with everyone why a self upgrade can not be performed, but the reason on why we should give Ecotech forgiveness are poor. First, ecoTech could easily put together an exchange upgrade program and still be profitable. Look at Apple, they do this today and have no problems with profitability. Second, Ecotech evangelized upgradability as a competitive advantage and differentiator from other vendors. Even their sales literature to their resellers included this information. Many people are confused that just because their is no in place upgrade option that it impacted Ecotech's ability to provide a product upgrade program and still be profitable.

deaclauderdale
08/18/2016, 06:22 PM
For those that are bothered by Ecotech's business model you can simply not buy the light. Your complaints mean little to what is already set in motion. I look forward to buying this new light.

Reef keeping is life!

ldc3000
08/18/2016, 06:43 PM
I just bought my G3pros last month(July) and while they work great, it kind of sucks that a new model comes out the next month. Something that some companies will do and I wish Ecotech would is to swap out the units or offer some type of rebate.

Rakie
08/18/2016, 06:47 PM
I just bought my G3pros last month(July) and while they work great, it kind of sucks that a new model comes out the next month. Something that some companies will do and I wish Ecotech would is to swap out the units or offer some type of rebate.

Yes -- I agree this is unfortunate. I believe it would be best for the customers if EcoTech were to publicly announce when their next items ETA is 1 month. That not only makes things like this not happen to customers like you, but also can absolutely sway someone currently deciding between Company X vs Radion -- If I were deciding between say, AI 52HD or Radion, knowing a brand new Radion would be released soon would absolutely sway me to the Radion.

deaclauderdale
08/18/2016, 07:04 PM
Yes -- I agree this is unfortunate. I believe it would be best for the customers if EcoTech were to publicly announce when their next items ETA is 1 month. That not only makes things like this not happen to customers like you, but also can absolutely sway someone currently deciding between Company X vs Radion -- If I were deciding between say, AI 52HD or Radion, knowing a brand new Radion would be released soon would absolutely sway me to the Radion.
This I agree with. Making a purchase and then having a new model released shortly afterward is frustrating and maybe Ecotech will offer a discount (doubt it) for those with proffered of purchase within ad certain timeframe. If not, the resale market is fairy decent on Radions, and may be your goto route if you're looking to upgrade.

Reef keeping is life!

Confuse
08/18/2016, 09:24 PM
Besides the new lenses, you're not missing much. EcoTech hasn't done anything revolutionary when it comes to LED technology since the G1. It's just another multi-cluster design that added warm whites (2 of them) and another set of violets and more efficient LEDs. They have stuck to their tried and true formula of using subpar cool whites and reds and greens. They added more LEDs to an already more than powerful fixture. Yes, these are more efficient LEDs, they will increase the lifespan of the LEDs, can be run a lower watts, etc. But it's nothing mind blowing. They're just sticking to the formula that brought them profits in the first place. The future in aquarium lighting is not in a disco ball of color. I hope one day they put their R&D to good use and explore more innovative ways to light up reef tanks.

I agree, I think the lens should be available for the previous generations because it's probably the best feature of the fixture. I look forward to more even PAR distribution and better color blending...if that's what they will actually deliver.

johnmiller81
08/19/2016, 08:06 PM
Confuse you are spot on. They are one of the few aquarium companies with an innovative R&D and when I see something like this after 3 years between generations, it makes me wonder why they set their bar so low.

JoshuaG
08/19/2016, 09:09 PM
Had the G4 been announced by Ecotech prior to just recently?

Rakie
08/20/2016, 02:13 AM
Had the G4 been announced by Ecotech prior to just recently?

Just rumors and leaks. EcoTech firmly refuses to release information about new products until they're ready

lockdown52
10/01/2016, 05:53 PM
Yes, we all like the latest and greatest. My G3 Pros function perfectly. They provide what my system needs. At this point, I see no reason for me to even consider a G4 or G5 for that matter. If it ain't broke...why fix it?

Rakie
10/01/2016, 06:17 PM
I feel like Ecotech would win over a lot of hearts and minds if they produced new lenses that fit on old Radions.

That's the first thing I told them. They said it would be too hard (***?) I kept trying to repeat that I was asking for them to design a new G3 optic with the HEI but they played dumb... Well, they played a lot more than 'dumb'.

On top of this everyone knows their puck count needs to be doubled. The XR30 should be what the XR15 is, and the 52HD is what the XR30 should be. Hell, I'd take pucks half the size so long as they had more light sources.

FYI -- New HEI optics + Dremel = Radion G3.5

Yes, we all like the latest and greatest. My G3 Pros function perfectly. They provide what my system needs. At this point, I see no reason for me to even consider a G4 or G5 for that matter. If it ain't broke...why fix it?

Who says it's not broke? The biggest factor keeping LED from replicating the success of T5 and MH is Diffusion. The way the XR30 currently is, you're required to basically double up on Radions. On a biocube 29g I need an XR30, buying the XR15 is a mistake.

And additionally.. We were blindsided by not being able to upgrade. They made no mention of "Oh wait, you can't upgrade btw" until it was released.

I don't understand how people aren't getting this... But the Radion G4 optic upgrade is the biggest thing the company has done since they invented the Radion. The damn optic spreads par out evenly to be much more similar to T5 lighting.

MichaelW
10/02/2016, 12:20 PM
A release of the lenses that would work on previous generations would be awesome.

Rakie
10/02/2016, 01:51 PM
A release of the lenses that would work on previous generations would be awesome.

YES. They just have to re-design the G3 optics to have the HEI spheres. But they know that, and that's why they aren't doing it. Everything else they did was moot, it's putting little spheres on the optics that made a difference.

LED's are awesome. But this type of business from EcoTech is driving me to T5.

The HEI optics are the single biggest improvement they've ever made -- easily 2-3x more effective than their Wide optics (which were also quite nice). As someone whose used various CAD programs, it is NOT hard to take the HEI spheres and place them in their G3 optics.

This is the most Anti-Reefer friendly thing EcoTech has done. They claim they are for upgrading and giving to the reefer.. But their biggest upgrade to date, the most easily configurable change to older gens? Nope, SOL, buy a new one.

Honestly, I know a lot of people would happily pay $50+ for the new optics.