PDA

View Full Version : Help with quarantine setup

urbor
08/15/2016, 01:40 PM
I need help setting up a quarantine tank.

I am going to get 40 gallon breeder tank.
I'm planning on putting no sand or rock only some pvc pieces.
I will get a heater also.

What kind of filtration should I use?
If I use a HOB filter should I use the bio wheels on it?
Also do I need an airiator in the tank?

Brieninsac
08/15/2016, 01:56 PM
I need help setting up a quarantine tank.

I am going to get 40 gallon breeder tank.
I'm planning on putting no sand or rock only some pvc pieces.
I will get a heater also.

What kind of filtration should I use?
If I use a HOB filter should I use the bio wheels on it?
Also do I need an airiator in the tank?

This is all I use for filtration in my QTs.

https://www.amazon.com/Filtration-Biochemical-Aquarium-Sponge-Filter/dp/B00KRZRBFK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471290973&sr=8-5&keywords=foam+air+filter+aquarium

ThRoewer
08/15/2016, 02:43 PM
I usually make a clear distinction between a quarantine tank for observation and a treatment tank.

If a tank is meant as a tank for treatment with chemicals your setup with PVC pieces is fine.

If the tank is for acclimatization and observation then I would rather use artificial Real Reef rock (bought dry) and some coral gravel (those rocks and gravel can later be boiled to sterilise them if necessary).
That gives the fish a more natural looking environment.
As filtration in observation tanks I use a variety of things from HOB filters to just a handful of Cheatomorpha from my DT.
Treatment tanks usually require frequent water changes, so an HOB filter will usually be enough. I have even done it with just a flow pump.

As for the QT/HT sizes - that depends a lot on what kind and size of fish you plan to buy. For small fish you are much better off with a couple of 10 gallon tanks than with a single 40 gallon tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

urbor
08/15/2016, 03:02 PM
Should I use those bio wheels?

Should I use an airiator?