PDA

View Full Version : ID a hitch hiker please

Dmize
08/15/2016, 08:01 PM
Found this little guy in some live rock from our LFS.

Noticed him in this bucket about a month after we took the life rock out, he had been living in a tiny puddle of water.

We added him to our refug w/ a few pieces of large live rock and have not seen him since... that was about 2 months ago.

Anything I can do to see if he is still alive?

D.

Dmize
08/15/2016, 08:02 PM
Forgot to mention that we were told that it was a mantis, we had no idea what it was.

nmotz
08/15/2016, 08:42 PM
Looks like a Neogonodactylus Curacaoensis possibly. Where was the LR sourced from?

You can try lowering some frozen shrimp or other meaty food into the tank using a skewer and see if it comes out. I'm surprised it lived through all of that, but some species are quite hardy. Nice find!

Dmize
08/16/2016, 01:22 PM
Looks like a Neogonodactylus Curacaoensis possibly. Where was the LR sourced from?

You can try lowering some frozen shrimp or other meaty food into the tank using a skewer and see if it comes out. I'm surprised it lived through all of that, but some species are quite hardy. Nice find!

The rock was sourced from south Florida, but it was in a tank with tons of other rocks so who knows what else has been in there.

Thanks for the info, i'll give that a try.

nmotz
08/16/2016, 01:42 PM
Yep, N. Curacaoensis then. If he's in there and hungry you should see him moving around at some point after you introduce some frozen food.

Dmize
08/16/2016, 04:50 PM
Yep, N. Curacaoensis then. If he's in there and hungry you should see him moving around at some point after you introduce some frozen food.

Thank you. going to try and lure him out with food tonight. I'll post an update.

Dmize
08/17/2016, 05:09 PM
Well, I fear he is dead. I placed some food in the bottom of the refuge last night and it is still there. Going to leave it, maybe he just has not found it yet.

nmotz
08/17/2016, 09:56 PM
Were there any hermit crabs/snails for him to eat in the sump?

Dirtball
08/23/2016, 12:11 AM
Good luck