PDA

View Full Version : Algae ID?!

Julian.Rad17
08/16/2016, 04:08 PM

This brownish algae has grown on the overflow box in the back of my tank(Red Sea Reefer nano, 6 months old) as you can see in the picture I had a powerhead aimed directly at it for a week or so and it only seemed to make it longer and hairier. Anyway, what is this? Hair algae? Dinos? Its growing behind a rock in a lower light/flow area as well as on the glass and powerhead. It feels kid of slimy and detaches easily. Also, what eats it/how to get rid of it? I was thinking of a sea hare or urchin because I cant reach it with a brush and even if I could that could just spread it around my entire tank. It hasn't spread to the rocks yet and i'd like to keep it that way.

Nitrate-15-20
Phosphate-0.12
Calcium-440
Alkalinity-8.4

Edz2891
08/16/2016, 04:16 PM
Does it brush off easily? Kind of looks like diatoms

mcgyvr
08/16/2016, 04:16 PM
I just call it brown algae.. :)
Now what are you doing to get those nitrates/phosphate levels down to make the algae go away?

Julian.Rad17
08/16/2016, 04:20 PM
They shouldn't be diatoms because I'm pretty sure that only happens in the cycle. And I have a bag of denitrate filter media to *hopefully bring down the nitrates. I've also been doing larger more frequent water changes. If you have any other ways to bring them down please let me know. It's weird the slightly high nutrients don't seem to have any effect on my corals which are now growing(monti cap, Duncan)