PDA

View Full Version : DIY ARID Chaeto Reactor Algae Scrubber

amcvay1979
08/17/2016, 03:32 PM
So I've been leaning towards making and installing an Algae Scrubber due to multiple algae outbreaks. I stumbled upon the ARID Reactor which is beautiful and really awesome. Basically it's a large cylinder with a light running down the center and several trays for chaeto to grow. There's a really cool review of one being installed and used on a big tank and the algae growth was really impressive.

So it got me thinking. Rather than doing the traditional knitting grid plastic stuff hanging from some PVC with water running down, lit with bulbs, what if I took my old Coralife Turbo Twist UV filter, changed the bulb to a grow type PC bulb, and seeded it with some chaeto algae?

So I opened up my Turbo Twist UV filter and found that the quartz sleeve is dirty and brown so I'll need to find a way to polish or clean it up, then I'll go buy a cheap PC bulb in the 5k range hopefully and then grab some chaeto from my LFS and give it a shot.

I don't have room in my sump for a traditional fuge and I already carbon dose and skim, so I know my idea won't be big enough for my 150 gallon tank, but thinking that if it works, it'll be a nice addition to my other filtration devices.

I'll get it working and post my results but just thought I'd check and see if anyone has any input on design?

I know clogging and debris buildup could be an issue as well as finding the right flow rate will be interesting too.

mcgyvr
08/17/2016, 04:54 PM
I believe you will have it all clump up in the one end and just clog/blow out,etc.. due to the "twist"..
Unless you run super slow flow rates through it or can remove the twists

Its really just too small too but may do a little..

Some have used a TLF phosban reactor or similar and just wrapped those LED ribbons from ebay,etc..... google images search for "DIY cheato reactor"

amcvay1979
08/17/2016, 05:46 PM
The twist apparatus does come out so i could figure out some mesh screening to use to keep the chaeto in place.

s@ndm@n
08/17/2016, 06:31 PM
The twist apparatus does come out so i could figure out some mesh screening to use to keep the chaeto in place.

I bet some type of algae will like it in there, good luck