PDA

View Full Version : Need your assist on my sump build.

Pain187
08/17/2016, 08:00 PM
Hello Team,

I have build my own sump but i think i made a mistake in sections size can you please assist me how can i fix that.

The sump specific is on the below:
L : 120 CM 48 Inch
W : 40 CM 16 Inch
H : 50 CM 20 Inch

And i made 4 chambers all of them on 1 Height 40 CM.
1st chamber for drain water from the tank.
2nd chamber for skimmer.
3rd chamber for bio balls.
4th chamber for return pump.

And my issue is in the sump chamber the water volume it's much higher making the skimmer overflow and don't work properly.

Can you please advice me how can i setup the sections between the chamber correctly.

Ron Reefman
08/18/2016, 05:17 AM
A drawing or photo might help. Based on your description I'm having a hard time visualizing what you have.

LXXero
08/18/2016, 06:44 AM
im guessing you'll need to lower the baffles for the 3rd and possibly 4th chambers so that the water in the skimmer chamber sits lower... Possibly can even just cut a notch into them if that's easier, if it's acrylic and all glued together.

Though if it's glass, that might be a more of a job.

Pain187
08/18/2016, 07:26 AM
Oh sorry i didn't attached the picture for it.

https://upani.net/plugins/imageviewer/site/thumb.php?s=rs (https://upani.net/rs)

mcgyvr
08/18/2016, 11:19 AM
Just make a stand to raise the skimmer..

and find a better image hosting company (your pic is attached to small and I'm not clicking on the link on the site to see it/enlarge it)..
Dropbox works great/free and is a very useful tool and many other that aren't so shady..

Pain187
08/18/2016, 11:31 AM
https://upani.net/plugins/imageviewer/site/direct.php?s=rs&/IMG_9678.JPG

Pain187
08/18/2016, 11:33 AM
But i have an issue i can't set a stand higher than this basket in the picture because there is no room available top of the skimmer!

mcgyvr
08/18/2016, 11:42 AM
much better.. problem is very clear now..
SOL.. need to redo it..or get a different skimmer..

One more thing.. If you lose power.. Is that sufficient space for back flow from the display tank?

Pain187
08/18/2016, 12:34 PM
How can i redo it what should i change to fix the issue ?

And yes the space is good enough for the remain water coming from the display tank when losing power.

Lsufan
08/18/2016, 10:56 PM
It depends how much u have to lower the water level, if it's not more then about 1.5" then cut the baffles for the bubble trap & lower it. If it's more then that I would think about lowering all the baffles so u don't have a waterfall going from the first chamber to the skimmer chamber making noise

LXXero
08/19/2016, 01:54 AM
it's hard to tell if it's glass or acrylic.

if it's acrylic, you might be able to make some strategic cut/drills in to it. Wouldn't be pretty, but it'd probably solve it.

you could basically drill a line of holes, or even just dremel a big slot across it. Across all the outer baffles...It's gonna make a total mess though, so you will need to clean the sump afterwards of course. You shouldn't need to touch the middle (raised off the bottom) baffles, just the ones that are touching the floor. That's to your advantage, since those are the more accessible ones anyway. So all you'd have to do is just cut a slot towards the top where you want to set the new water levels.....you should definitely think that through and try to figure out where you want it to sit in each chamber. it should typically get gradually lower in each chamber.

if it's glass, you'd have to cut out all the outside baffles and redo them.

Pain187
08/19/2016, 06:31 AM
Dear,

The sump is glass and for the skimmer the recommendation water level should be 6 to 6.5.

This is the Skimmer Specifications:
Body Diameter: 8"
Neck Size: 4.5"
Foot Print:12.5 x 11
Total Height: 25
Output Size: 1.5
Output Height: 6.6"
Note: Recommended Sump Water Depth: 6-6.5"

And here more detail on the picture.
https://upani.net/plugins/imageviewer/site/direct.php?s=rt&/my_sump_with_details.jpg

Vinny Kreyling
08/19/2016, 09:36 AM
NO baffle except the 1st can be higher than the skimmer section.
The water will just build up to go over the higher baffle again.
Unless you have a fish only system bio balls are not recommended.

Pain187
08/20/2016, 01:50 PM
What about this sketch for the sump ?!

It's 130 x 40 x 40 CM

The 1st chamber 30 CM with small divider 10 CM for drain water after that a socks plate for socks filter and the 1st baffle it's 40X40 with 3 hols from down moving to skimmer chamber 35 cm after that baffle 15cm and 1 cm open line after that 2cm top of it after that 3rd chamber for refugium it's 35cm and baffle 18cm and 10cm for filter pad and glass plate 40x10 with 4 50mm hols so the water can move to return chamber the baffle for it 30x40 cm.

https://upani.net/plugins/imageviewer/site/direct.php?s=rv&/sump_sketch.JPG

Any suggestion on this one or it's good?

Pain187
08/20/2016, 07:34 PM
This is the detailed sketch i made for the sump.

https://upani.net/plugins/imageviewer/site/direct.php?s=rw&/sump_sketch_plan_with_full_details.png

Gorgok
08/20/2016, 08:47 PM
Other than the filter pad chamber 4, i think that is fine. I'd just make the return pump area wider and space those last baffles closer together (removing the filter there).

Another thing to think of is having an inline refugium may not work great with all sorts of flow... If you are using it to settle and sink nutrients into a sandbed or such then you are restricting the system flow through the sump to whatever the refugium can handle without making a mess. If instead you pumped into a refuge and drained it back to the return chamber (or elsewhere in the sump) you can flow whatever you want through the sump and still maintain an ideal flow in the refuge.

You could swap 1 and 2, have the refuge taller and drain into 1 and it should work fine. Or you could put it at the other end and drain it into the return... But that might mess with more plumbing than the other option. Both would need to tee off the return to feed it.