PDA

View Full Version : BK Recommendations for Red Sea Reefer 170

Johnny C
08/17/2016, 08:21 PM
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Red Sea Reefer 170 (43g total volume) system and am considering using a Bubble King, however I'm pretty stumped at which I should use. The tank will be predominantly LPS/SPS and a medium bioload of fish.

In terms of what I'm looking for, I need a skimmer that is nearly silent and reliable without constant tinkering. For what it's worth, the sump baffle measures out at exactly 7.5" or 190MM.

At this point, I think I've narrowed it down to the Double Cone 130 or the Mini 160. I'd love to run a DC powered BK, however my cabinet space is limited and I'm not a huge fan of the giant black controller box attached to them.

Any thoughts/recommendations are highly appreciated- thanks in advance!

slief
08/18/2016, 08:21 AM
The DC power skimmers are all way to large for that display so they are out regardless. I would suggest the Mini 160. It's a great skimmer and will be a set it and forget skimmer that will perform real well. The Double Cone 130 is an option too but it will require some tinkering with the adjustable nozzle to dial in. As such, for a display your size, I would recommend the Mini 160.

Johnny C
08/18/2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the reply! How would you compare the two in terms of noise level and overall performance?

slief
08/18/2016, 10:39 AM
They are both going to be pretty much silent and they both perform great when properly dialed in. The Double Cone can be a bit tedious to get it dialed in where as the Mini doesn't require futzing with the nozzle that can take weeks to really learn and fine tune on the smaller skimmer. I think you will be very happy with the Mini. It's a great skimmer for your size display and it's set it and forget it nature will make getting it up and running a breeze.