PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Mag Curve 5 vs Eshop 75

Bmore88
08/18/2016, 06:43 AM
Trying to decide between these two skimmers....

I am not against spending a little more money if it is worth it.

Would anyone recommend one over the other?

Brieninsac
08/18/2016, 10:24 AM
How big is your system? I have the BM5 in my 91-gal system and it works fine. It was one of the cheapest skimmers I could find at around $200.

Bmore88
08/18/2016, 12:43 PM
55 DT 20 Sump/Fuge

Potatohead
08/18/2016, 01:02 PM
I have the PSK-100 and more than happy with it. If you buy the Eshopps just make sure it's the newer one with the Sicce pump.

PhillyFrag
03/06/2017, 03:44 PM
I have a bubble mag curve 5. It is very sensitive!!! Serious patience required. it is very well built and easy to clean but if you do the slightest thing to make it mad....it will overflow.

thewbell
03/07/2017, 09:28 AM
I have a bubble mag curve 5. It is very sensitive!!! Serious patience required. it is very well built and easy to clean but if you do the slightest thing to make it mad....it will overflow.

I had the same experience with my Curve 5 on a 75 gallon tank (~80 gallons total volume). After moving to a 120 I decided to try the Coral Box D700 (much bigger than the Curve 5) and I am much happier with the skimmer overall. It is much easier to adjust and seems to freak out less often. I would check out one of the smaller Coral Box skimmers if you are after a bargain skimmer.

JonezNReef
03/07/2017, 10:34 AM

I have a Curve 5 that I was using on a old frag system. It worked great and I am holding on to it for when I set up another system. It is sensitive unless you raise it up above the recommended water level but once I did that I never had to adjust it again until I took that system down.
I used it for dry skimming too not sure if you wanted to wet skim or not which I have never tried with this skimmer.

robsk
03/07/2017, 12:33 PM
Trying to decide between these two skimmers....

I am not against spending a little more money if it is worth it.

Would anyone recommend one over the other?

If its just between these two I would definitely go with the curve 5. Honestly, these two are not an "apples to apples" comparison. The specs on the curve are much greater than the 75.
Now, if you want to compare the curve 5 to something in eshopps that is similar in price and size, then you need to look at the axium line (x120).