PDA

View Full Version : advice on new tank setup!?!

RoachCity
08/18/2016, 09:53 AM
so I've had this empty 93 gallon cube (30x30x24) sitting in a corner for almost a year already. Finally got motivated and have the savings to get this thing started up but i want to make sure i do this right the first time.

All i have right now is the tank, stand, and skimmer (octo SRO-2000int).

I'm locked onto the Radion XR30w G4 PRo for my lighting and the EcoTech vectra L1 for my return pump. would that work?, is it worth the money?, any other pumps i should look at?.

What size plumbing would be good?

Is a UV light a good thing to include ??

Buddy55
08/18/2016, 10:15 AM
I used 1.5 inch straight fall overflow and 1" return and I'm easily getting 700gph. I didn't go so expensive on my return pump though and that's my limiting factor. Obviously don't rush to get fish if you were looking for new tank advice Do a fishless cycle. I never have seen the need for UV sterilization if that's what you mean. An extra step that doesn't get results. Maybe later on however. That's only my opinion.

mcgyvr
08/18/2016, 10:36 AM
Well you only need 300-500 GPH after losses for a return pump (3-5x display volume)
The L1 is 3100GPH before losses..
Yes its adjustable but... unless you plan on running plenty of reactors off it its overkill..
The M1 is 2000 GPH

and I will always recommend this as the only way to go as far as the overflow/drain setup..
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

RoachCity
08/18/2016, 05:50 PM
i was considering the L1 because i figured i could use it if and when i upgraded or had to add a reactor or something. the price difference was nothing crazy between the M1 and L1 thats why i figured id just do the L1. would it be a issue to have the L1 just running at like 50% ??

do you guys recommend running reactors ?

DePinchGonze
08/18/2016, 07:13 PM
If you have a return that big I would plumb in a manifold that way you do don't have to use extra pumps later.

Dmize
08/18/2016, 07:19 PM
If you have a return that big I would plumb in a manifold that way you do don't have to use extra pumps later.

agree, its easier to do the first time around than to try and do it later.