PDA

View Full Version : Tank swap

JohnnyRedd
08/18/2016, 02:13 PM
Trying to make this the easiest move possible. I have already combined the 125 into the 180. I will use about 30% of the rock in the 180.

I want to start the 240 with new dry rock. After cycle add the rock from the 180 and then aquascape.

Question 1 good or bad idea.

I want to wait until that time to add the substrate. That way I can set base rock on the glass (engineer goby in the 180) and fill in around it.

Question 2. Good or bad idea and will adding substrate kick off a mini cycle?

The rocks that are coming from the 180 are either zoa gardens or encrusted pieces. That is why they are not going to be part of the cycle.

Thanks, all

thegrun
08/18/2016, 07:05 PM
You should always place the rock in first, then the sand. If you put the rock on top of the sand you are likely to have a rock slide down the road as the sand shifts and the weight of the rock press down. As long as you use new dry sand (washed well to remove the fines/dust) adding substrate after the cycle will not cause a new cycle. Reusing old sand or using new "live" sand does run the risk of starting a new cycle.

Tspors58
08/18/2016, 08:11 PM
Good
Good (dry)

JohnnyRedd
08/19/2016, 06:53 AM
Thank you. I was not sure about the substrate but will be using a new dry product. My intentions are to fully set the rock before adding the new in the bag dry substrate.

billdogg
08/19/2016, 07:04 AM
Exactly what thegrun said. Easy peasy.

If it were me, I'd use at least a few pieces of LR from the current tank to seed the new rock. I would also suggest using a cup or two of the old sand to jump start it as well when the time comes.

JohnnyRedd
08/19/2016, 11:25 AM
Well. I agree. But. The 180 is literally about stuffed with rock since everything from the 125 that I want to keep went there. I have to move the 125 to bring the 240 in. What I would use for seed rock out of the 125 would have to sit in a bucket for few days while we got the 240 cleaned up, filled up and started. Not sure how long things can live in a bucket of water.

It's never easy is it.

Rubasu
08/19/2016, 11:41 AM
If you put a cheap powerhead in the bucket, the rock should be fine for that time. You could even toss in a bit of food in there if it's going to be a while.

billdogg
08/19/2016, 11:48 AM
^^^what he said^^^
You can easily keep live rock alive in whatever storage container you like if you toss in a powerhead and if you want to get really fancy, a heater.