PDA

View Full Version : dinnoflagellates and cooking LR ???

cracker
08/19/2016, 07:56 PM
Greetings, I "think I had a tank with bad dinnoflafellates. Looked like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/upsguy/HPIM8265_1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/upsguy/media/HPIM8265_1.jpg.html)
Anyway, the tank has since been torn down and will be replaced with a new one. The rock was well scrubbed well and put in barrels for cooking on July 4th
so the process is coming along as planned. Nitrates are around 10 at the moment. My question is will this cooking in total darkness for several months kill off the dinno stuff? All the info I could get dealt with up and running tanks.
Now I could treat with peroxide as well but don't want to if not necessary. However this stuff has got to go ! Any opinions on this? Thanks

Reel North
08/19/2016, 08:26 PM
Muriatic is always your friend. Nothing survives that stuff

Lsufan
08/19/2016, 09:04 PM
I'm no expert but I have dealt with Dino. I believe what u are doing has a good chance to work but I wouldn't say its 100 percent. Being that u already tore down the tank I would do a muratic acid bath so u are 100 percent sure that it will be eradicated. BEFORE using muratic acid if that is the route u decide to go make sure u research it as much as possible because it can be dangerous. They have a long thread on here that has some good information.

cracker
08/19/2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've seen examples of acid baths ,Utube and such. That is further than I'm willing to go. I hope the rock has "some" life in it when I'm done ! I think the only difference in my situation and treating an up and running tank, is the peroxide is added after the dark period. It has something to do with light causing the peroxide to react more quickly and thus more effective or something like that. Of course my rock is in a dark tub. Maybe I cook the rock until no3 and po4 is gone remove the lids allowing light in and then treat with peroxide?