PDA

View Full Version : New to Hobby- YELLOW TANG IN 55 GALLON TANK

carlyrosas
08/19/2016, 09:01 PM
55 gallon tank- 20 gallon sump (wet-dry)
*MARS AQUA 300 WATT LED CHINA BOX*
7 hours on-full spectrum; 2 hours actinic. 9 hours total.
*30LBS LIVE ROCK*

fish:
-1 chalk basset
-3 blue chromis
-1 yellow watchman goby (he never comes out)
-1 dotty back (psedochromis)
-1 blood shrimp
-3 large turbo snails & several other smaller turbo snails
*hermits also in tank*

coral:
-1 rose bubble tip anemone
- 1 frogspawn
-1 set of blue & orange zoanthids
-1 set of green button polyps
-2 mushrooms
-1 acan frag

So we just bought a small 3" yellow tang. Floated for 15 minutes and used drip method to acclimate him properly for 55 minutes. Now he is in the tank, no lights on. Wondering what anyone recommends on these tangs? Any advice ?

Grkgod36
08/19/2016, 09:53 PM
Yea a bigger tank . A 55 is to small for a yellow tang

OrQidz
08/19/2016, 10:03 PM
Advice is to return the fish since a 55 gallon is too small for it.

fishchef
08/19/2016, 10:29 PM
Just too small. We had a Yellow in a 55 and he suffered from Lateral Line, which is caused by the stress of being confined. Had him for years, but he had some growth issues and never got very big. This was long before any real information.

CStrickland
08/19/2016, 10:46 PM
Any advice ?

The first piece of advice is to research an animals needs before you add it to your tank. The second piece is to quarentine new additions.

Since we're past those options, you're best course now is probs to return the tang and read up on some of the common disease symptoms so you'll know what to watch for in the remaining fish.

Here's some basic info for new reefers, there's a section on tangs and one on quarentine also: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

And here is some basic disease info: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1994597

Good luck!

kmbyrnes
08/20/2016, 06:03 AM
Any advice ?

The tang thanks you for asking and hopes you listen to all the good advice above.

I hope you will continue to ask questions on RC if you are unsure. This is the place to benefit from the collective experience of your fellow reefers.

SeaCucumberFan
08/20/2016, 06:25 AM
Advice? Oh so you want advice...
1. Don't always believe your local fish store
2. Research first before putting it in the tank
3. Never put tangs in tank 55 gallons

scooter31707
08/20/2016, 06:34 AM
Yep, catch it and return it back to your LFS. 55 gallon is too small!

heathlindner25
08/20/2016, 06:43 AM
Advice? Oh so you want advice...
1. Don't always believe your local fish store
2. Research first before putting it in the tank
3. Never put tangs in tank less than 180 gallons

#3 is completely off base.

heathlindner25
08/20/2016, 06:44 AM
Off topic.. I want to see a picture of those blue and orange zoas.

carlyrosas
08/20/2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful advice, although I wasn't expecting to get ripped a new one. I was here asking for advice because that's what the forum is for, and I get basically told I am an idiot when I'm honestly just looking for some help. People are so rude- any who moving on.

Tang is doing fine. Eating well, and swimming happily in the tank. We are planning on upgrading to 100+ gallon tank within the next few months. We're testing our skills out in the hobby, obviously we still have a lot to learn. Our tank's taken a **** on us a few times already and we're doing better than ever in the learning experience.

As for the blue and orange zoas, our ph was down and we recently just fixed that issue. Our coral's are just finally now opening up. Will get some pics of our tank for those of you who are actually interested in recommending good advice.

thankssssss -carlss.

Sapelo
08/20/2016, 01:17 PM
Honestly I didn't read a single rude response and am sorry if you felt that is the way anyone was treating you.
It is hard to offer advice when we know that the advice is for the best but goes against what the poster actually wants to hear. No one wants to be told that they've done the wrong thing by their tank or fish, it's hard to say and hard to take.
This is a learning hobby: always more to learn.
With that in mind, you really should read and learn about ICH which is most likely problem you'll have with your new addition.
Best of luck and welcome to the hobby.

hkgar
08/20/2016, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful advice, although I wasn't expecting to get ripped a new one. I was here asking for advice because that's what the forum is for, and I get basically told I am an idiot when I'm honestly just looking for some help. People are so rude- any who moving on.

Tang is doing fine. Eating well, and swimming happily in the tank. We are planning on upgrading to 100+ gallon tank within the next few months. We're testing our skills out in the hobby, obviously we still have a lot to learn. Our tank's taken a **** on us a few times already and we're doing better than ever in the learning experience.

As for the blue and orange zoas, our ph was down and we recently just fixed that issue. Our coral's are just finally now opening up. Will get some pics of our tank for those of you who are actually interested in recommending good advice.

thankssssss -carlss.

Really

You have been a member since July. Just starting in the hobby. Ask for advice on what to do with a tang. You get the advise form people with years and years of experience and decide screw them, what do they know, they just want to rip me a new one. i will keep the dang tang and if, as it grows, it doesn't do well, well it is just a dang fish - easily replaced. Heck it might live 2 years before the stress of the environment does it in and then you can just get another little one. It is not about you being hapy it is about the fish and us being a good caretaker. You wouldn't try to stuff a Grat Dane into a dog house built for a cocker spaniel

Read this and learn.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

You got an inappropriate fish without researching first and that is not an unusual newbie mistake, we would just like to see you correct it. You asked and we responded correctly Your tank is plain and simply too small for that fish. < that dot means PERIOD

BigEZ77
08/20/2016, 03:01 PM
Liveaquaria is a good place to get info on tank size for fish. They recommend a minimum of 100 gallon for that fish, although I've seen a lot of members here who have them in tanks slightly less in size. Definitely 4' minimum tank length.

kmbyrnes
08/20/2016, 03:52 PM
Don't get upset at the advice given.
You asked and it was provided.
I didn't see anything that appeared rude to me, just more experienced folks trying to help.
We were all new once and are just trying to get you past the 'first steps' without making avoidable mistakes.
Don't let us keep you from asking questions. Just be prepared to hear things you may not want to hear. But try to listen anyway.
Anyone who posts to your questions has likely been there and done that.
Best of luck!

Bent
08/20/2016, 04:18 PM
I think a TY would be fine in a 55g.

By itself.

CStrickland
08/20/2016, 04:37 PM
I can't be the only one who saw this coming a mile away.
I mean, you're either asking for advice, or you're trolling. If it's the first then you're welcome and if it's the second then I give it a 2/10, even for an aquarium forum that was subpar.

heathlindner25
08/20/2016, 05:00 PM

By itself.

It's really not Bent, they're big open swimmers and get huge in the wild.
And they don't act natural in a small tank

hkgar
08/20/2016, 05:16 PM

By itself.

Everybody can have an opinion, but facts are facts. Five feet or more of horizontal swimming room is a minimum requirement.

reef thief
08/20/2016, 05:22 PM
Does anyone else want to tell them to return the fish to the store and research before purchasing? I think the horse is still breathing.

Bent
08/20/2016, 05:38 PM
I thought a YT got the same size as a Kole? I dunno, I never owned one.

anthonys51
08/20/2016, 06:48 PM
Yes sometimes the people on here do get too forward or rude sounding. No think it's because we beat this horse to death. But they should remember to be a little more gentle in there respond. Yes a 2 -3 yellow tang might look ok in a 55 gallon tank witch is 4 feet long if I am correct. But in the long run this isn't good practice and the fish won't grow to its true potential in such a small tank. No hopefully when keeping animals in captivity you want them to have the best and healthiest live possible. Not saying you don't. So if you want advice a yellow tang isn't good for a 55. If you are truly going to get a 120 or 180 tank soon it should be fine in the short term. If not and you want a tang a kole tang is a great choice for a 55. They might not be as beautiful
As a yellow but I have one and fine if is a beautiful interesting fish in its own way. Plus a great algae eater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlyrosas
08/20/2016, 08:02 PM
I guess I kind of took it a little too personal. It does suck when you want the best for the fish and you kind of screwed up. He seems to be thriving and happy for now. Guess I should do a little better research next time when looking into buying something new for the tank. Hopefully upgrade on tank coming soon.

carlyrosas
08/20/2016, 08:03 PM
Yes sometimes the people on here do get too forward or rude sounding. No think it's because we beat this horse to death. But they should remember to be a little more gentle in there respond. Yes a 2 -3 yellow tang might look ok in a 55 gallon tank witch is 4 feet long if I am correct. But in the long run this isn't good practice and the fish won't grow to its true potential in such a small tank. No hopefully when keeping animals in captivity you want them to have the best and healthiest live possible. Not saying you don't. So if you want advice a yellow tang isn't good for a 55. If you are truly going to get a 120 or 180 tank soon it should be fine in the short term. If not and you want a tang a kole tang is a great choice for a 55. They might not be as beautiful
As a yellow but I have one and fine if is a beautiful interesting fish in its own way. Plus a great algae eater

Thanks, will look into a kole tang for sure. I guess we just wanted a fish that would actually make it look like its a salt water tank. Yellow added the color I wanted. I'll do a little better research next time.

anthonys51
08/20/2016, 08:19 PM
No problem I totally understand. You can get yellow wrasse. It will do great in a 55 as long as you have a couple inches of sand. They like to hide in the sand

mattgumaer
08/20/2016, 08:21 PM
Not sure if you're returning the tang or not but one other thing to keep in mind is that once the yellow tang has established its territory, it may become very aggressive towards new additions (and sometimes existing tank mates), particularly where confined to a relatively small space and/or the other fish have similar shapes or appearances or feeding habits. I would suggest always trying to add fish from least to most aggressive.

Matt

CStrickland
08/20/2016, 10:05 PM
Most of us have been there. It's really crazy how many different things can affect a fish's quality of life. Besides just tank size, there's the other fish, the available food, the order you add them, and even how your rocks are arranged; I've even heard that some tangs need more oxygen so the strength of the current is a factor too. The best part of this hobby is that there's always more to learn, but it is def a steep curve in the beginning. That's what's great about the forum, there's generous and experienced folks around to help us make as few expensive mistakes as possible :)

I really think the best recipe for success is to pick out all the fish you'd like to ultimately keep in your tank, make a list and check it twice for tank size, compatibility and reef-safeness, then make a thread asking for advice about how well that'll work. Then add them in order of aggression, with proper quarentine.

skiingfast
08/20/2016, 10:06 PM
I remember quite well a tank that was kept which I witnessed for over a decade . From the dental chair you could watch a Yellow Tang, Tomato Clown, Clown Trigger and a Parrot Wrasse. All in a 55gallon with minimal rock and a HOB filter. I can clearly remember those 4 fish who were all similar in sizes.

CStrickland
08/20/2016, 10:16 PM
I remember quite well a tank that was kept which I witnessed for over a decade . From the dental chair you could watch a Yellow Tang, Tomato Clown, Clown Trigger and a Parrot Wrasse. All in a 55gallon with minimal rock and a HOB filter. I can clearly remember those 4 fish who were all similar in sizes.

how did the clown trigger even turn around? A healthy adult is a foot and a half long, and a standard 55 is like exactly that wide. i don't see how a tomato clown could get that big.

Idk, maybe you get your teeth cleaned more than I do. I doubt I'd notice if my dentist replaced her fish every few months, but it's not how I'd like to treat my pets

snorvich
08/21/2016, 05:08 AM
Yea a bigger tank . A 55 is to small for a yellow tang

This. Also, I suggest not putting fish into a display tank without quarantine.

kmbyrnes
08/21/2016, 07:28 AM
I guess I kind of took it a little too personal. It does suck when you want the best for the fish and you kind of screwed up. He seems to be thriving and happy for now. Guess I should do a little better research next time when looking into buying something new for the tank. Hopefully upgrade on tank coming soon.

So glad you are listening and learning.
It will make the hobby more enjoyable for you.
Hope that new tank comes your way quickly.

TheFishGuy31
08/21/2016, 07:51 AM
One of the things I've learned is to find a fish I want & then research it instead of window shopping & buying something on the spot.

I'd also recommend getting a quarantine tank setup for all new fish (and do a practice run so you can see if you're missing anything.) After you've had a happy & healthy fish for a couple of years it really hurts when it gets sick because you were lazy & didn't QT a new fish.

thegrun
08/21/2016, 07:53 AM

Please try to not take the advice given here as a personal attack, 98% of advice given here is meant as just that, advice we have learned from our own personal screw ups in the past. It's difficult to convey emotions when writing in this format, the vast majority of us are simply trying help, even when our posts seem to be casting blame, that is rarely our intent. There are unfortunately some who do throw out unwarranted insults, but those individuals are asked to move on and find another forum.
Apologies if we did offend you, that was not our intent.
-Mike

hkgar
08/21/2016, 08:13 AM
To make it look like a saltwater tank a Nemo instead of a Bubbles would have been a better choice, but please do not consider a Dory. ;)

hkgar
08/21/2016, 08:23 AM
I thought a YT got the same size as a Kole? I dunno, I never owned one.
A Kole at max would be just slightly smaller than a Yellow, but is a much more deliberate swimmer and feeder. Mine never passes a rock it doesn't stop and pick at. Therefore horizontal swim length is not quite as important. It is not always about size, swim patterns and other variables can enter into the best size of the aquarium.

My Two Barred Rabbitfish is about 7 inches and seldom ventures far from his spot among the rocks - except when the Nori is put in.

While not a fish, and I don't recommend anyone getting one, a Moray Eel can grow to 5 ft and be ok in a 125. They pretty much stay in one spot.

heathlindner25
08/21/2016, 08:56 AM
I've seen yellow tangs as big as my hand opened up., Had to be 25 30 years old.

Bent
08/21/2016, 09:23 AM
A Kole at max would be just slightly smaller than a Yellow, but is a much more deliberate swimmer and feeder. Mine never passes a rock it doesn't stop and pick at. Therefore horizontal swim length is not quite as important. It is not always about size, swim patterns and other variables can enter into the best size of the aquarium.

My Two Barred Rabbitfish is about 7 inches and seldom ventures far from his spot among the rocks - except when the Nori is put in.

While not a fish, and I don't recommend anyone getting one, a Moray Eel can grow to 5 ft and be ok in a 125. They pretty much stay in one spot.

So it's more behavior than size. That makes sense.

Joe0813
08/21/2016, 02:15 PM
siiigh

OrQidz
08/21/2016, 04:22 PM
Well, I for one did not intend any rudeness; just answering the question honestly. There are some nice yellow fish that will do well in a 55g. It can be hard to overcome the excitement of falling in love with a fish at the LFS, particularly if the LFS tells you it would be fine. I think we can all relate to that for sure. You learn as you go along, we all do.

mitchrapp
08/21/2016, 06:12 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Bob Fenner, in his Conscientious Marine Aquarist book, shows several pictures of 55 gallon tanks with yellow tangs in them (not as negative examples)? I was surprised at seeing this given the advice regarding tank sizes for tangs.

anthonys51
08/21/2016, 06:31 PM
think that was published when i was in high school.

Keelo
08/21/2016, 08:06 PM
The tang police is in full effect lol ! I think keeping the fish in there is fine if you will upgrade to a bigger tank later on, that shouldn't be a problem. I heard those guys like 6 feet plus of horizontal swim space so look at a 125 long or a 180 would be nice. Me personally I think it's still silly to say don't keep the fish in there it's cruel when these fishes swim for hundreds of feet in the wild yet if we cram them in a 180 everyone says it's perfectly fine.That whole argument is funny to me but I'm not here to debate that. If you like the yellow look try the yellow coris wrasse it's a beautiful fish and more vibrant than the yellow tang. Also another cool looking fish is the flame angel it's a gamble because some can pick corals but it's a cool fish. A more persuasive reason to use for removing the tang is that it's a big fish and can add to your bio load since your keeping corals it might make your nitrates reach undesirable levels so cautious with that as well. All in all its your tank so you can keep whatever you choose if that's what you want then go for it. At the end of day I believe everyone here is trying to give you the best advice possible to have a good and balanced ecosystem but we all have our own opinions so take everyone's advice the way you see fit. Good luck with everything and best of luck moving forward

Dkuhlmann
08/22/2016, 04:58 AM
A great yellow fish is a Midas Blenny. It will quickly become a tank favorite in your house as it is in mine and everyone who owns one.

Good luck with your tank, but be prepared to hear nothing but brutally honest replies from people on here. We have nothing to gain like an LFS does, they are after your money, we just want you to be successful with your tank.

sde1500
08/22/2016, 05:17 AM
If you want yellow, I would second Anthonys51, look at a yellow wrasse. Much better suited.

CStrickland
08/22/2016, 07:29 AM
think that was published when i was in high school.

Yeah. Liveaquaria used to have a smaller minimum size, like 75 or so. I guess they learned more about the fish, I mean I doubt they were like "wow! We are selling way to many of these tangs! Let's figure out how to make less $!"

anthonys51
08/22/2016, 07:37 AM
Yeah. Liveaquaria used to have a smaller minimum size, like 75 or so. I guess they learned more about the fish, I mean I doubt they were like "wow! We are selling way to many of these tangs! Let's figure out how to make less $!"

Well if you buy a small yellow or even s hippo and just go by the size it does seem like it fits in a 55. But when you watch how nerves the fish acts and you watch a hippo or yellow in a 265 you see the difference. So you learn as you go sometimes even the experts still continue to learn

SeaCucumberFan
08/22/2016, 07:39 AM

They're pretty honest