PDA

View Full Version : Breeding in a 20g???

Pandagobyguy
08/22/2016, 12:24 PM
So basically I'm wondering if breeding fish in a 20g is doable/ethical? I understand that I will likely need a second tank to move the fry to. eventually I'll probably end up with a larger DT anyway (the 20 will probably become the fuge) but in the meantime I'm just looking at pairs that I could possibly rear in my current nano.
I read somewhere that neon stripe (line?) Gobies are a possibly choice. However I don't think them all that pretty tbh.
I absolutely love court jester Gobies, would those be possible??
I have seen people raising clowns in a 20g with fry in a 10 on RC but I am just looking for some guidance on what is both realistic and ethical.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy
08/22/2016, 12:25 PM
Any other unnamed possibilities I am equally interested in!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ThRoewer
08/22/2016, 04:25 PM
If the question is about the broodstock then 20 gallon will be sufficient for many species.
Most gobies will be fine in a tank of that size, especially the smaller shrimp gobies.
Many pipefish should be fine as well.
I have right now a pair of Blue Spotted Jawfish in a 20 long and they recently started spawning. Though upgrade them to a taller tank soon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wilrok_1
08/23/2016, 01:56 PM
In agreement with ThRoewer , gobies should be fine In a 20 gallon , but it would be easier relocating the fry for feeding purposes .

ichthyogeek
08/24/2016, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that most fish are fine in a 20gallon, with exception towards larger fish such as those that get above 4" or are pelagic spawners (ie. tangs, angels of all kinds, dragonets), or even just need a higher water column (dragonets and seahorses). Wittenrich even recommends 20 High tanks, especially for aggressive dottybacks (the height allows for the submissive fish to escape up or down the water column).

Go and tackle those court jester gobies! I'm not sure if they've been captive bred yet, but 20 Gallons is fine as long as you can provide them enough food and a good water quality!

Pandagobyguy
08/27/2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info and suggestions everyone! My tank is almost ready for my first fish so im gonna try and get my hands on a pair of court jester gobies

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk