PDA

View Full Version : Help with rising the KH

Vpkjules
08/22/2016, 01:37 PM
Hi!

Need some help out here!
We're trying to get the KH to rise. When starting it was 6°D. It raised until 7°D and then dropped back down to 6 :headwalls:
So we added a KH plus and it raised back to 7.
Now our PH seames to berising also. It is at 8,3...

We stil have the algues growing everywhere, only started up a month ago.

What do we do?? #confused:confused:

PsychoticBeauty
08/22/2016, 01:52 PM
Do you know what your Calcium & Magnesium are? When I want to adjust my Alkalinity I always start with the Magnesium first. Bump that up to the proper level followed by the Calcium and then the Alkalinity.

Sk8r
08/22/2016, 02:14 PM
If the mg is low, the alk won't rise.

NS Mike D
08/22/2016, 02:57 PM
Vpkjules, the reason Mg is being mentioned is that it keeps Calcium and Carbonate from bonding and precipitating. Sort of a boxing referee stepping in to break up a clinch.

Vpkjules
08/22/2016, 03:05 PM
Previous water change my Ca was 410. Tomorrow i will go get a Mg test! I did not bought it yet cause i was in my cycle fase. [emoji56] i will update you tomorrow [emoji6]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

NS Mike D
08/22/2016, 03:11 PM
are you using rodi water? Something isn't adding up for you Alk to be so low with a new salt mix since it should have had sufficient Kh and Mg. What's your salinity?

Vpkjules
08/22/2016, 03:12 PM
Yeap im using reversed osmosis. Red sea salt is the mix i use and the salinity is 1024 25degrees celcius.

NS Mike D
08/22/2016, 03:26 PM
Yeap im using reversed osmosis. Red sea salt is the mix i use and the salinity is 1024 25degrees celcius.

RO v RO/DI?

You may have ions if it's not also deionized that is messing with your KH (and thus the ph), also, deionization removes copper which can be deadly to a reef tank.

Vpkjules
08/22/2016, 03:30 PM
Well i bought my RO water in 2 different stores to do my water changes. I only have an 80l tank so the purchase of a system would be a "waste" for..?

NS Mike D
08/22/2016, 03:38 PM
Well i bought my RO water in 2 different stores to do my water changes. I only have an 80l tank so the purchase of a system would be a "waste" for..?

Most LFS will sell RO/DI water as do large pet store chains (not sure if that is an option for you).

I have a 29 gal nano and for about a $100 purchased a rodi system that I can hook up to my kitchen sink and then store away after I make my water. Additionally, if I am lazy, I can get 5gal of rodi from my LFS for less than $5;

The rodi cartridges should last me 10 years before needing to be replaced based on 5 gals every week (but I will change them after two years).

Vpkjules
08/22/2016, 03:39 PM
Hmmm so i guess i might consider buying one.

Vpkjules
08/22/2016, 03:40 PM
Well i buy my reversed osmosis from a LFS that is specialized in saltwater tanks. So i guess they will have 'clean' RO?

NS Mike D
08/22/2016, 03:51 PM
Well i buy my reversed osmosis from a LFS that is specialized in saltwater tanks. So i guess they will have 'clean' RO?

If your water is from the LFS, then it's both reverse osmosis and deionized - no to negligible TDS (total dissolved solids). So we can rule out your water as a source of the problem.

From the other thread you have a lot of algae for a new tank. Buy lots of water and do aggressive water changes to rid the tank of those nutrients until your numbers start to fall in line. Also, manually pull that algae of of the tank as per the suggestion in the other thread.

jurgenph
08/22/2016, 04:29 PM
what does your fresh salt water test at? does it have high/low Alk?

it is possible that your tank is still finding it's balance, and your bacterial population is feeding on nutrients using your Alk as a carbon source.

any other livestock in the tank currently?

J.

Vpkjules
08/23/2016, 12:12 AM
Only 3 trochus snails and 2 cleaner shrimp since this weekend.