PDA

View Full Version : Does My Return Pump Math Sound Right?

Darth_Tater
08/23/2016, 09:03 AM
Hi all!

I'm setting up a system with the sump in my basement. The display tank is going to be on my main floor. I am going to split the return line to also feed a 40 Breeder refugium and possibly an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS).

Here's what I'm looking at:

Main display:
800 GPH @ 13.5 ft head height

Refugium:
400 GPH @ about 4 ft head height

ATS:
I don't know what the flow rate for these should be, but I'm going to guess 100-200 GPH @ about 4 ft head height

I'm planning on ordering a Deepwater Aquatics BLDC pump, but I'm not sure if I should go for the BLDC8 or the BLDC10. It may not matter since it appears that the BLDC8 is not available anywhere and won't be for some time.

Any thoughts?

mcgyvr
08/23/2016, 09:20 AM
Where is the math we are supposed to validate?
Or did you just want an answer on the suggested ATS flow rate?

display tank is 160 gallons?

RWEngineer
08/23/2016, 09:25 AM
I would add a second pump. One pump to supply your display tank and one to supply your refugium and ATS.

Darth_Tater
08/23/2016, 11:18 AM
Where is the math we are supposed to validate?
Or did you just want an answer on the suggested ATS flow rate?

display tank is 160 gallons?

That is a good question! Sorry, this was written in a hurry this morning. I guess I just wanted validation that the BLDC10 could supply all the water I need it to before I order one.

mcgyvr
08/23/2016, 12:07 PM
That is a good question! Sorry, this was written in a hurry this morning. I guess I just wanted validation that the BLDC10 could supply all the water I need it to before I order one.

IDK.. I haven't seen a flow graph for that pump..
Just a stated max GPH and head.. But no chart stating flow at "X" head..

Potatohead
08/23/2016, 12:17 PM
Pump looks sufficient for DT alone. It may work for all of it but it would be close. You can always try and then order another smaller pump for the other stuff if you have to. Keep in mind your head height on these charts does not include 90° turns and what not in your plumbing.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/RabidRabbit33/pump%20chart_zpsmjkh50ov.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/RabidRabbit33/media/pump%20chart_zpsmjkh50ov.jpg.html)