PDA

View Full Version : Gyre input comments please

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 09:09 AM
Hi Guys ,,,I Am setting up a new 100 gallon reef and I want state of the art everything!!! LOLOLOL I am spoiled 58 year old! lololol
Tank will be 48 x 24 x 20...Mixed with SPS and LPS..
I am wondering if I should go 2 x Jebeo powerheads with controllers OR
Get 2 Gyre with the 200 series controller...Price difference is crazy!!!!!!
But... IS the GYRE a TOY or will I truly get a benefit in coral growth?

If you currently use the GYRE I would appreciate your comments / input....
and pls let me know the specific size reef you are using it on if possible.

Anxious to find out from REEFERS what the scoop is...I have seen all the promo videos which are veryyyy impressive but...nothing like talking to the BOYS THAT HAVE USED THEM lololol Cheers, Tim.

fijisrfr
08/23/2016, 09:23 AM
It moves a lit of water but monthly maintenance is a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeTSI
08/23/2016, 09:29 AM
I have the 150 on my 100 gallon tank and really like it. It provides an incredible amount of flow and I haven't touched mine in 6 months. They key to long term success is do not populate your tank with small snails that could destroy the blades. The one thing I don't like is the lack of randomized flow that I got with two MP40s in a previous tank. Oh, you will only need ONE in a 100 gallon tank.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 09:53 AM
Ewwww never thought about snails!!! THanks Joe!!!!! Do you not think two of them
altneating at 30 second intervals would be super ?

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 09:54 AM
you running it on constant JOe? What percentage? and Mounted where?

Do youhave a pic of your tank with it on you could post ? Or video even better?

Thx, TIm

Wazzel
08/23/2016, 09:58 AM
I run 2 130's on my 120 tank. They move a lot of water. Maintenance has not been an issue so far. They are mounted on the back wall facing forward on my tank. Right now I run both on constant speed at 60% (6 dots). The tank has been set up all of 2 weeks. I did run 1 in my 60 cube for a few months prior to my swap and did not have any issues. Since there are lots of pieces they are a bit more to clean than a vortec, but not really a chore.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-dFN5GhV/0/L/image-L.jpg

ponokareefer
08/23/2016, 10:11 AM
I have both. Don't recommend either. Lots of problems with them.

Xxero
08/23/2016, 10:38 AM
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-dFN5GhV/0/L/image-L.jpg

This looks great, Mark!

I have a single Gyre 130 mounted on the side glass of my 36" 65g tank, and I love it. Even in a 3ft 65g tank, I would like to have an additional one on the opposite side for the intervals that you spoke of.

But even as a single, I have it set on constant flow on the 2nd setting. As mentioned, they move a lot of water. :bigeyes:

andy67
08/23/2016, 11:10 AM
I have 2 150's at each end and have a fairly complex program in my apex. i think they work great

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 11:13 AM
andyyyyyy exactly the man I wanna talk too !!!!! what size tank you have the 2 x 150's on...Did you purchase 2 INterfaces for the Apex yes? or does one interface work both pumps?

D-Nak
08/23/2016, 11:14 AM
I have a Gyre 150 on my 120 and I want to go back to Ecotech MP40s. With my previous non-QD MP40s, the sound annoyed me, so I bought a Gyre. Now the sound of the Gyre annoys me, especially after hearing (or I should say not hearing) tanks with MP40 QDs on them. I originally planned to run the MP40s and Gyre together, running all at a lower speed to reduce noise, but I quickly realized that the Gyre was more than up to the task of providing the type of flow I wanted in my tank, so I sold my MP40s.

I love -- love love love -- the flow that the Gyre puts out, but I HATE cleaning it. I have to clean mine every three months or so, or I notice a dramatic loss of flow (clean versus dirty unit). It's a gradual loss of flow, so it's not noticeable day to day. It's just that one day, I notice things not moving around as quickly, and I realize I need to clean the Gyre.

Having an MP40 where you just pop off the wetside and dunk it in vinegar overnight, it couldn't be easier. And with the ability to buy extra wetsides, it's even easier. With the Gyre, I have to unplug it, remove the wire from underneath my tank making sure it doesn't fall into the tank, remove the entire unit from the tank, and then completely disassemble the unit. This includes removing and keeping track of all of the washers and gaskets.

The last time I cleaned my Gyre, after reassembling and putting it back in my tank, I didn't notice that one of the washers had popped off and dropped into the tank. When I turned on the Gyre, it made a loud grinding noise. After about an hour of taking it apart, putting it back together, going online and looking at instructions and videos, I finally noticed the washer in the corner of my tank. Once I put it back on, everything worked perfectly. But it was extremely frustrating and annoying up until I found the washer. I can't imagine losing a small part like that and then having to wait for a new part to arrive before using the Gyre again.

I hope that Maxspect redesigns the Gyre slightly so that each rotor assembly can be removed intact. That way, people can have extra rotor assemblies that can be swapped in and out just as quickly and easily as the wetside on an MP40.

So, in short, I say go with the Gyre, or a pair, if you don't mind cleaning them. Or go with Jebaos but buy 4 of them since they're cheap -- keep two as spares and swap them in when your current ones need a cleaning. Or get a pair of MP40QDs but have your wallet feel the burn. If you truly want state-of-the-art, then my vote is for the MP40.

1jwampler
08/23/2016, 11:24 AM
I run my xf150 on my 150, I have a pretty random cycle on Apex. It probably runs 40% power on a 150g tank and I only turn it on an average of 15min per hour. I use WAVs on the back wall on all the time. The combo of gyre and WaVs flowing 90 degrees to each other with random powers and cycles allows almost no food or detritus to settle anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drauka99
08/23/2016, 11:27 AM
.Did you purchase 2 INterfaces for the Apex yes? or does one interface work both pumps?

Unless something has changed recently (and I mean within the past few months at most) then you will need an Apex interface for each Gyre. Also if you wish to run the gyre both forward and reverse then you will need a full VDM port for each unit as well. (2 Gyre interfaces can be run off of one VDM port on the Apex but only forward speed can be used.)

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 11:45 AM
1jwampler do you have a pic you could post? Thanks,Tim

urbanknight
08/23/2016, 12:07 PM
andyyyyyy exactly the man I wanna talk too !!!!! what size tank you have the 2 x 150's on...Did you purchase 2 INterfaces for the Apex yes? or does one interface work both pumps?

You will need one Icecap Gyre Interface Module for each Gyre unit. I run 2x 150 on my 300 DD with Apex programming. Coralvue has videos showing you how to program through Apex.

HuskerBioProf
08/23/2016, 12:12 PM
I have 2 gyre 130s on my 40 breeder (36"). I think it is a little overkill, but I like it. The left one is on alternating mode and the right one is on pulse mode, so they are not both going at the same time (I did that originally and it blew my fish around the tank). The left is at 60% and the right is at 40%. It is about as high as I can get them without blowing my sand bed around. Everything seems to like the flow so far (all SPS), but I have only had them about a week.
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/TylerCMoore/E2A009C4-DFA8-44F5-AC9F-5AD4E7DEB0D7_zpsnh2c5h4c.jpg

hkgar
08/23/2016, 12:27 PM
It moves a lit of water but monthly maintenance is a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

What is the monthly maintenance? I like my vortechs

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 12:36 PM
One guy on here put his in vinegar once in a 6 month period that's it!!!!! sounds like fun to me!!!!! :-) (Tony Montanna) lol

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 12:39 PM
I don't plan on using mine in reverse at all...the reverse mode did nothing for me when I saw the demo online... What I DO want to do is be able to, if I buy two interfaces, have each pump go from constant to pulsing etc all automatically and different intervals giving the tank completely random flow and detritus can settle anywhere and more natural to matching the ocean etc... does that make sense? I am sure on a 48 inch tank I will only be able to set two 150s at about 30% or so and never have them both on at the same time really...make sense? Is that about right?

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 12:53 PM
I have 2 Gyres 150 running for about 10 months

The good:
Cheap, low profile, moves a lot of water, very good customer service.

The bad:
The older models that come with older impeller are troubles. It was a bad design that required constant cleaning. The new impeller is much better, and it doesn't require cleaning as much.
Difficult to clean and takes time.
Loud above 60% power. But, it is very powerful at 60%
Without dedicated controller, the option for flow are limited. They have sell separate controller now, but it will increase cost.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 12:55 PM
bLACKTIP; you think running two 150's through apex using two icecap interfaces will liming me over having the dedicated new 200 series multi controller?

steallife904
08/23/2016, 12:57 PM
One guy on here put his in vinegar once in a 6 month period that's it!!!!! sounds like fun to me!!!!! :-) (Tony Montanna) lol

im that guy :), have only ever soaked in vinegar 1 time in the year I have had 2. No issues. I love them.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:03 PM
thattttsssss my kinda maintenance Steallife 904!!! LOOLOLOLOL
I HAD TWO Jebeos run on my tank for about a year and half... big ones..big tank...neverrrrrrrr touched them for year and half...sold them to a guy for 50 bux each and he will vinegar them and I bet they run another year and half!!!! I am hoping the GYRE I can get away with similar as there is NO WAY I am taking that out every two months...notttttaaaaa chance.

shred5
08/23/2016, 01:03 PM
I love my Gyres. I run 2 150 on a 125 gallon with icecap controllers via Apex. I have them set for low flow at night and in the morning and evening they ramp up and down opposite of each other. Then in the middle of the day they are random and set much higher.

I have Vortech and Gyre and the Vortech has some advantages like cord on the outside of the tank, easier to clean. The Gyre are harder to take apart and put together no doubt there. Vortech also keep more heat out side the tank. I feel the gyre is quieter, I do not hear mine except for a slight hum.

Where the gyre is better and this is why you buy a pump is the flow is far superior. It is a wide gentle flow that moves allot of water.

Snails are also no longer a issue with he new blades.

mine also are on battery back-up.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:04 PM
at the price of the JEbeaos I could buy a new one darn near less hassle as cleaning them they are so cheap! Which is whyyyyyyyyyy I am very scared to go to GYRE unless there is true benefit to the inhabitants....Jebeo are just sooo cool for the price.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:07 PM
SHRED YOU JUST SHREDDED MY DOUBTS!!!! Thatttt is what I wanted to hear someone say because honestly thattttssss the onlyyyy reason I would buy these is the wide GENTLE flow....does not hurt the skin on the LPS I am hoping....easier to move water without damage to the animals..is that NOTTTTTT what I am seeing in the videos? That's a damn good reason to test these I think....??? Am I Right?

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:08 PM
Shred could you post pic of you tank? What size is it and dimensions? LPS and SPS or just SPS? thanks, Tim

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 01:21 PM
bLACKTIP; you think running two 150's through apex using two icecap interfaces will liming me over having the dedicated new 200 series multi controller?

One can still generate random flow without a dedicated controller. I ran both of mine without one connected straight to Apex.

Each gyer is set at one end of the tank. I have both of them set pulse mode at 60%. The pulse period is different for each. So the current intersect at different points in the middle 1/3 of the tank. Then, I programmed Apex to cut power for one minute every 9 minutes for one, and every 13 minutes to the other. I don't know what a dedicated controller is capable of, I never had one.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:29 PM
blacktip so you have them overlapping for 4 minutes technically is that it?
So only one of them is on at a time other then the intersect is that it?
I will be putting 2 x 150's in a 100 gallon 4 ft tank...my guess is one on at a time and at about 30-40% will be plenty...but if I want to give the tank a storm it will be easy and quick! lolol

shred5
08/23/2016, 01:30 PM
It is a mixed tank. My tank is loaded with gorgonians. I only have a older picture of the tank after just being set up...
Most of my corals at this point where in the basement in the frag tank.

I also run a 130 on a frag tank and a vortech on the other frag tank.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/shrededge/125%20gallon/20160501_100143_HDR_zpsy7dcdbup.jpg

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:32 PM
cool...thanks Shred! interesting aquascaping there! NOOO Deadspots in that tank!

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 02:11 PM
blacktip so you have them overlapping for 4 minutes technically is that it?
So only one of them is on at a time other then the intersect is that it?
I will be putting 2 x 150's in a 100 gallon 4 ft tank...my guess is one on at a time and at about 30-40% will be plenty...but if I want to give the tank a storm it will be easy and quick! lolol

They overlap for 10 min, break of one min, overlap for 7, break for one, overlap for 5, break for one, etc.

I just chose 2 random numbers - 10 min and 13 min. I didn't want to make them two shorts - like 1-5 minutes, because I don't think the gyre were built for constant on/off.

I actually started doing this to compensate for the horrible old impellers. They used to stop working very often. They would turn back on, once I hard recycle the power. So, I programmed Apex to recycle few times a day to make sure they are running. Then, I tweaked the time a bit.

IMO, 2 150 is way overkill for 4' tank. My tank is 8' and I have them running at 60% and I have a lot of flow. One time I increased the flow to 80%, and it broke an SPS frag. I assume they would last longer at lower speed, so 150 maybe a good idea.

Have you considered the 130 model?

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 02:15 PM
I got a handle on a 150 used pretty good price which is causing me to lean that way and I love overkill...I like the idea of more power then needed and not using it.....rather then having plenty but running them a little harder but even 2 x 130 my guess is overkill....
So..I might just go with 2 x 130...but they are 1/2 the flow of the 150...almost same money I think....

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 02:25 PM
I got a handle on a 150 used pretty good price which is causing me to lean that way and I love overkill...I like the idea of more power then needed and not using it.....rather then having plenty but running them a little harder but even 2 x 130 my guess is overkill....
So..I might just go with 2 x 130...but they are 1/2 the flow of the 150...almost same money I think....

If you are buying use ones, my advice is to make sure they have the new impellers. You can replace the impeller, but they are $20 each, I think.

shred5
08/23/2016, 02:40 PM
There is a a decent difference in power between a 130 and a 150.

D-Nak
08/23/2016, 02:45 PM
If you can get a used 150 I would go for that over a new 130. Definitely more flow and if you can turn it down then it'll be quieter.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks D-Nak that makes sense ...Thanks everyone!

Tim

Jboone82590
08/23/2016, 04:24 PM
i have a 130 on my 75 gallon reef tank and love it. it's quite it's small enough u can hide it and u can controller it without getting a controller.
I have mine se on pulse mode from 40% to 60% every min or so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 05:14 PM
thanks Jboone82590

steallife904
08/24/2016, 09:07 AM
fyi, they also make a jebao copy of the gyre now if you wanted to go that route

andy67
08/25/2016, 06:57 AM
Hi Tim

I have a red sea 525XL witch is only 108 Gal in the display. yes you need 2 Ice cap interfaces to connect to your apex.

Andy

2_zoa
08/25/2016, 05:52 PM
I have the 150 on my 65. First I mounted it horizontally like most do. This last time I cleaned it I mounted it vertically. Mine is set to 30% I think. I do know it moves the water. No issues there.

I'm curious as to why people keep saying that reverse mode is useless?
You all know there is two rotor sets for these, right? An A and a B rotor. Ones made to one direction and vice versa.
In my case right now. I have one B rotor and one A rotor installed. My gyre runs in the back and forth mode. Pushing water one way through the tank and then the other way.

One rotor on a 150 moving water at a time will be all you need in a 100 gallon tank.

Ron Reefman
08/26/2016, 03:47 AM
I have both the Maxspect and the Jebao. The gyre was bought used and has worked fine for me the last 6 months and I just cleaned it for the first time. The crossflows were bought new and have been in use for a couple of months. For the difference in cost, I think the crossflow is better built but the gyre has a better controller. All 3 of mine run very quiet.

I'm just setting up a new 125g tank and I plan on the 2 crossflows and 2 RW8 pumps for the DT.