PDA

View Full Version : Ctenochaetus Tang...are they beneficial to the aquarium?

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 09:36 AM
I like creatures that are beneficial to their environment. Based on this article http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/hcs3/index.php

Ctenochaetus Tang eats detritus in the wild. Do they do that in the home aquarium? How beneficial are they?

Thanks,

PsychoticBeauty
08/23/2016, 09:54 AM
These fish will bounce around scraping the rocks, glass etc for food, but don't expect them to make a noticeable dent in the amount of detritus that has accumulated in the tank. A siphon is still your best bet for that.

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 10:15 AM
These fish will bounce around scraping the rocks, glass etc for food, but don't expect them to make a noticeable dent in the amount of detritus that has accumulated in the tank. A siphon is still your best bet for that.

Not looking for a fish to do my cleaning for me...but that would be nice..:)

I just want to know if they are beneficial at all.

PsychoticBeauty
08/23/2016, 10:47 AM
What exactly are you hoping it will do for you? Aside from maybe lowering your blood pressure while you watch it swim, it's not really a janitor in any since of the word IMO.

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 10:55 AM
What exactly are you hoping it will do for you? Aside from maybe lowering your blood pressure while you watch it swim, it's not really a janitor in any since of the word IMO.

Read my posts man..

scooter31707
08/23/2016, 11:09 AM
I think it depends on the fish. I had a Kole Tang that eat every bit of fish poop that was in the water column. It was like he was following fish around waiting for them to poop.

PsychoticBeauty
08/23/2016, 11:18 AM
Read my posts man..

What do you want this thing to do for you? Are you just looking for a yes or no answer or what? Damn...

BlackTip
08/23/2016, 11:19 AM
I think it depends on the fish. I had a Kole Tang that eat every bit of fish poop that was in the water column. It was like he was following fish around waiting for them to poop.

That's grose but cool at the same time

Tripod1404
08/23/2016, 11:24 AM
My kole tang eats detritus and algae. However, this also comes out as poop. When the fish eats it, it will not magically disappear, it will only turn into another type of poop.

urbanknight
08/23/2016, 12:29 PM
I like creatures that are beneficial to their environment. Based on this article http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/hcs3/index.php

Ctenochaetus Tang eats detritus in the wild. Do they do that in the home aquarium? How beneficial are they?

Thanks,

To answer your question. Yes, mine eats detritus. Both in the form of fish poop and just pecking around the live rock. Does it do it enough to alleviate any of my maintenance? No. Is the amount that he eats noticeable in a big way? No. That being said, he is still a beautiful, happy and peaceful community member.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/23/2016, 01:00 PM
I think the yellow eye Kole is a great addition to a reef..I DOOO feel they do some good but certainly will not make any difference that is noticible really...but that does not mean they are not HELPING the overall environment a bit..I believe they do...but very little..you would need a SCHOOL of them in a tank and then A BIG SKIMMER lol Tim

Kevin Guthrie
08/23/2016, 09:32 PM
I have a Kole's, dubbed "Rubber Lips". It spends half it's time kissing the glass. I don't have to clean the glass nearly as often as in the tank with no Kole's. It also eats nori and it hammers at a the mysis just as hard as the yellow tang and the coral beauty. The three of them do a great job of keeping away the algae.