PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning BKmini collection cup

jcs11236
08/24/2016, 03:45 AM
I have a bk mini 160 that has been running perfectly the last few months. At first it took some time to dial it in but now I haven't touched it for months.
I currently manually clean the collection cup every other week with paper towels and water. Cup fills up a lil less than half way.
Is this a good maintenance schedule or should I be cleaning it weekly. Is a cleaner cup better for skimmer performance
Thanks for any info

slief
08/24/2016, 08:31 AM
The cup itself has little impact on performance. A clean neck however can impact performance depending on the amount of gunk built up in the neck where the bubbles rise. I think your once a week maintenance is just fine. I run a neck cleaner on my skimmer and only clean my cup every several months. The only thing I do is drain the waste out of the cup on an as needed basis which is about once a week. Other than that, I clean my pump every 3-4 months and check the nozzles venturi port for salt creep ever month or so.

neiltus
08/24/2016, 06:58 PM
Stupid question, because I have the same skimmer...is the neck the removable portion in the cup or the portion of the skimmer that the cup sits on?

slief
08/24/2016, 07:11 PM
Stupid question, because I have the same skimmer...is the neck the removable portion in the cup or the portion of the skimmer that the cup sits on?

The neck is part of the collection cup and is the part that the bubbles/foam rise up through eventually spilling over into the collection cup.