PDA

View Full Version : Stocking suggestions - 75g FOWLR

RyanG027
08/24/2016, 09:28 AM
Hello Reefers

I'm in the process of setting up my 75g FOWLR tank, and I'm looking for some suggestions of fish to add that would work with the ones I know I want. I wont be adding any stock for at least 45 days. I will also be starting a 180 mixed reef sometime next summer, so some of the stock may be transferred to the bigger tank eventually.

The fish I know I want:

Clown Trigger
Picasso Trigger
Porcupine Puffer
Moray Eel
Flame Angel

What I'm looking for are suggestions of other fish that would work well with some or all of the above listed. I also need some clean up crew recommendations; I know the eel will make it hard to keep crustaceans or any kind of goby.

nereefpat
08/24/2016, 10:31 AM
Clown triggers grow to about 20 inches long and will go ballistic (Balistoides generic name coincidence?) in all but the biggest tanks.

Picasso may be ok in a 75 for most of its life, but I wouldn't try tank mates that I cared about.

Porcupine puffers get huge, nearly two feet long.

What species of eel? Many eels will be fine in a 75. Zebra, snowflake, and others.

Flame angel is a great choice.

I guess I would recommend changing out the triggers for a smaller lion species, like antennata, fuzzy, or zebra. Replace the porc puffer with a toby type puffer.

Hope this helps

scooter31707
08/24/2016, 10:55 AM
In that tank only the Eel and Flame Angel will work. Everything else requires a lot bigger tank.

RyanG027
08/24/2016, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the input so far.

I was planning on getting the trigger and puffer very small and then transferring them to the big tank next summer. My LFS has a few 3" clown triggers right now - would one of those be ok in the smaller tank for about 6-9 months?

marleesan
08/24/2016, 01:38 PM
The clown will go crazy and murder the other fish, especially in a tank that small

Taahirs
08/24/2016, 01:41 PM
Agree with the others. Don't get the triggers or puffer. Why not just buy them when you actually have the 180. Even then I wouldn't add a clown trigger after hearing the horror stories.

RyanG027
08/24/2016, 02:18 PM
Apparently no one likes to read the OP :p

I was asking what fish WILL work with the above listed. My brother has had a clown trigger in his 180 for about 4 years with no "horror stories" or killings. Besides...I WANT aggressive fish. The 75g is a temporary tank - waiting for my basement to be finished with the 180 in wall. I realize a fully grown adult clown trigger will not fit in that tank, but none of the fish mentioned will grow over a foot in less than 12 months.