PDA

View Full Version : Observation - LED Biocube 32 Fan

Smoke Inator
08/24/2016, 07:25 PM
So my lights are off for the next few days but, i fire them up for a few while i run the water tests.

The fan(s) seem very sluggish and louder than expected.
This weekend I will take the hood apart to check the size and see if i can find one that is quieter and more efficient.

Just a thought

RJ

balanced1
08/24/2016, 08:02 PM
I just got my 32bc today, hooked it up and also noticed that the fan is extremely loud, sounds like there is something in it.
That will be a mod to be on the lookout for.

Cknlove
08/24/2016, 08:10 PM
could pull the old fan out and get a silent / stealth PC computer fan to replace it

http://www.newegg.com/Fans-PC-Cooling/Category/ID-11?Tid=6648

I'm sure there are other/better places to order

Scurvy Dawg
08/26/2016, 01:46 PM
So my lights are off for the next few days but, i fire them up for a few while i run the water tests.

The fan(s) seem very sluggish and louder than expected.
This weekend I will take the hood apart to check the size and see if i can find one that is quieter and more efficient.

Just a thought

RJ

Mine is really quiet, in fact, the stock pump was louder until I replaced it with the MJ1200. Now I can hear the fan but when I put a sound meter on it, it only bumps up the ambient sounds in room by about 3-4 Db.

grandmaester
08/26/2016, 10:38 PM
There's definately room to add another fan and remove and replace the existing fan. My fan has developed a rattle and seems under sized as well. Going to be replacing with a pc fan off amazon and adding another for a total of two.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Smoke Inator
09/13/2016, 09:05 AM
Update - So I removed the fan today, it was very simple...10 screws for the cover, 2 for the fan and disconnect the wire.
The specs on the original fan are...
CF-12510M 50MM 2-Pin Ball Bearing Fan
Model: CF-12510M
Dimension: 50x50x10 MM
Voltage: DC 12V
Current: Max 0.15A
Bearing: Ball
Termination: 2-Wire / 2-Pin
Speed: 5,000RPM
Airflow: 12CFM
Noise: 32dBA

I had to go to a chinese site to figure this stuff out!
It looks like the same fan they put in the 8 & 14 biocube
Its an OEM style fan that retails for about $4 (unless you buy as a replacement part for $20)

So i ordered the following from amazon for $10
Its specs are roughly the same except for the height (20 vs 10) there is plenty of room in there for the added height.
It's LOUDER than the stock fan but, it moves more air.
Simple install procedure, same connector as the original.

Gdstime 50mm X 50mm X 20mm 5cm 2 Inch 12v Brushless Dc Cooling Cooler Fan
Dimensions 50x50x20
Bearing: Sleeve
Airflow: 16.5CFM
Noise: 26dBA

Then I ordered the following fan from amazon for $13
Its a 50x10 so the size is identical to the stock fan
It is MUCH QUIETER than the stock fan!
Same simple install procedure, same connector as original.

Scythe SY501012M 50mm x 10mm Silent Mini Kaze fan
Dimensions 50x50x10
Noise Level 26.09 dBA
Air Flow 27 CFM
Fan Speed 4,500 rpm
Bearing: Sleeve / MTBF 30,000 hours

Scurvy Dawg
09/13/2016, 05:19 PM
Update - So I removed the fan today, it was very simple...10 screws for the cover, 2 for the fan and disconnect the wire.
The specs on the original fan are...
CF-12510M 50MM 2-Pin Ball Bearing Fan
Model: CF-12510M
Dimension: 50x50x10 MM
Bearing: Ball
Airflow: 12CFM
Noise: 32dBA

I had to go to a chinese site to figure this stuff out!
It looks like the same fan they put in the 8 & 14 biocube
Its an OEM style fan that retails for about $4 (unless you buy as a replacement part for $20)

So i ordered the following from amazon for $10
Its specs are roughly the same except for the height (20 vs 10) there is plenty of room in there for the added height.
It's LOUDER than the stock fan but, it moves more air.
Simple install procedure, same connector as the original.

Gdstime 50mm X 50mm X 20mm 5cm 2 Inch 12v Brushless Dc Cooling Cooler Fan
Dimensions 50x50x20
Bearing: Sleeve
Airflow: 16.5CFM
Noise: 26dBA

Then I ordered the following fan from amazon for $13
Its a 50x10 so the size is identical to the stock fan
It is MUCH QUIETER than the stock fan!
Same simple install procedure, same connector as original.

Scythe SY501012M 50mm x 10mm Silent Mini Kaze fan
Dimensions 50x50x10
Noise Level 26.09 dBA
Air Flow 27 CFM
Fan Speed 4,500 rpm
Bearing: Sleeve / MTBF 30,000 hours

My fan initially was pretty quiet but has developed into a noisy fan. I am having a 50mm to 60mm fan adapter 3d printed and have ordered a 60mm fan with a lower rpm with the same airflow and the DBA goes from high 20's to 11. Hope that works. IT guy at work told me that most 50mm fans are crap since it is not a common size. There are alot more quality fans in the 60 mm size.

New fan will be only 1600 RPM as opposed to 5000+ so should be significantly quieter.

Mustangarrett
12/09/2016, 01:47 PM
Just received mine today. Unpacked the tank and plugged in the lights; the fan is laughably loud. Like no way they actually intended it to be this loud. From time to time it will be near silent for a few seconds. Then it instantly reverts to a soft grinding sound, if that makes sense. Should I return it?

Scurvy Dawg
12/09/2016, 02:14 PM
Just received mine today. Unpacked the tank and plugged in the lights; the fan is laughably loud. Like no way they actually intended it to be this loud. From time to time it will be near silent for a few seconds. Then it instantly reverts to a soft grinding sound, if that makes sense. Should I return it?

The Biocube fans are crap. If you return it, the new one will be crap too.

You can replace the fan pretty easily. If you are doing a direct replacement, you need a 50mmx50mmX10mm fan. You can get them online for under 10 bucks. I tried a different 50X50X10 fan and it was a lot quieter, but not quiet enough for me since my tank is in my living room. I made an adapter using Lexan that allowed my to use a 60mmx60mmx20mm fan that runs at a much lower RPM and now my fan is so quiet I can't hear it running.

Mustangarrett
12/09/2016, 02:28 PM
Just how crap are we talking? I mean this thing is at least twice as loud as my PC with eight plus fans in it.

Thanks for the reply.

Scurvy Dawg
12/09/2016, 02:46 PM
Just how crap are we talking? I mean this thing is at least twice as loud as my PC with eight plus fans in it.

Thanks for the reply.

I think a vibration has a lot to do with it. But yeah, the Biocube fans sucked on the 29 and it was not improved on the 32 except there is one less fan on the 32.

You either have to live with it or swap it out in my opinion. Kind of sucks considering what you paid for it.

It's the same with the return pump on the 32. It's the same crappy one they used on the 29. Most people swap out the pump also.

After owning a 32 for about 5 months now, I wouldn't say I regret getting it because its still a pretty good tank, but if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go a different direction. When its all said and done, I ended up replacing the fan, the pump and will replace the LED's after the first of the year. If someone was just going to go fish only, it's a pretty nice tank.

Mustangarrett
12/09/2016, 02:49 PM
I'm starting to think I should have purchased just the tank. I like the lights so far, but I'm comparing them to compact florescence (not even T5s). If I tap on it, the fan is instantly quiet. Eh, I will get out the Dremel and make something work. Yeah, it definitely feels shitty to have paid for what's advertised as a premium tank only to instantly need to fix something as simple and cheep as a fan.

jmcdaniel0
12/09/2016, 03:34 PM
I have no experience with the LED lights that come stock, but I have not heard alot of good things about them.

ReefWreak
12/09/2016, 03:42 PM
Probably should have purchased a 40B, or just the tank by itself. Oh well. You'll be fine if you're keeping mostly softies, LPS, and some zoanthids. It's easy enough to retrofit new lights, it just takes time, money, and DIY skills (but at least there are some choices for good kits).

I hate these stupid fans as well. They do their job, since if I don't run the fans, my LEDs will overheat and turn off, but they are too damn loud. I bought some generics on ebay but never got around to installing them...

Seattle_Reef
12/10/2016, 02:12 PM
My fan is really quiet. Maybe there is a quality control, lot-to-lot issue.

Mustangarrett
12/10/2016, 05:16 PM
My fan is really quiet. Maybe there is a quality control, lot-to-lot issue.

Yeah, I am starting to suspect that is the case. This thing is crazy loud. Like no way could they ever sell a single one loud. I've never heard a small DC fan come ever close to as loud as this thing gets. It's also intermittent. Sometimes it will be near silent for a few seconds. I suspect that is how it's always supposed to operate. Thanks for the reply.

skiingfast
12/11/2016, 11:19 PM
The stock pump was louder until I replaced it with the MJ1200.

Why did you switch them?

skiingfast
12/11/2016, 11:23 PM
If you screw the fan a tiny bit of a turn tighter does it quiet it? That as well as but less likely loosening the screw can help reduce noise/vibrations. Also may I suggest you put a little piece of rubber in the mounts.

Scurvy Dawg
12/13/2016, 01:48 PM
Why did you switch them?

Quieter and more flow

Mustangarrett
12/14/2016, 02:59 PM
Just heard back from Coralife and they said they're sending me a new hood. So fingers crossed this one is like Seattle_Reefs!

Blitz132
12/15/2016, 11:54 AM
I just purchased a Silenx Fan for mine.. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Planning on making an adapter for the 50mm to 60mm. Here is the specs.

Rated dBa: 12
Dimensions 60x60x25mm
RPM:1700
CFM: 14
Bearings: 2nd gen fluid dynamic bearings.

They make 3 different 60mms
a 8 dBa pushing 10 CFM
a 12 dBa pushing 14 CFM
a 16 dBA pushing 18 CFM

Scurvy Dawg
12/15/2016, 02:40 PM
I just purchased a Silenx Fan for mine.. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Planning on making an adapter for the 50mm to 60mm. Here is the specs.

Rated dBa: 12
Dimensions 60x60x25mm
RPM:1700
CFM: 14
Bearings: 2nd gen fluid dynamic bearings.

They make 3 different 60mms
a 8 dBa pushing 10 CFM
a 12 dBa pushing 14 CFM
a 16 dBA pushing 18 CFM

This is what I used also, fan is very quiet now. I even used the rubber isolators that came with the fan. These fans are like 10 bucks, I don't get why they just didn't put a better fan on to begin with.

Smoke Inator
12/15/2016, 04:24 PM
anyone got a 3d printer?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1131558

Scurvy Dawg
12/15/2016, 07:15 PM
anyone got a 3d printer?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1131558

That wont work. It has to be thinner. Most of the quiet 60mm fans are 20mm thick or more. I ended up cutting something similar to this out of lexan, and then had to shorten the four mounting posts on the hood.

Blitz132
12/16/2016, 07:15 PM
Smoke, i found the exact same design. I was going to have a friend make one.. After seeing what Scurvy posted, I'm glad I just went and purchased some lexan instead. I have yet to tear down the lid. Scurvy is there room to put a 2nd fan in there or would it even need it?

Smoke Inator
12/16/2016, 07:34 PM
Smoke, i found the exact same design. I was going to have a friend make one.. After seeing what Scurvy posted, I'm glad I just went and purchased some lexan instead. I have yet to tear down the lid. Scurvy is there room to put a 2nd fan in there or would it even need it?

I'm going to do the same...get some lexan.
i plan on putting in high end leds for sps after the 1st so ill probably do two fans if they fit

Scurvy Dawg
12/16/2016, 08:43 PM

There's plenty of room for another fan. Not sure how you would mount a second fan though since there is only mounting posts for a single fan other than poking some holes in the top of the hood. Also, it is only set up for wiring one fan. I suppose if you know a little about electronics you could figure out how to wire a second fan.

I can't really feel a whole lot of heat coming from the vents when the lights are on so I suspect a second fan wouldn't do much.

Blitz132
12/17/2016, 03:00 PM
There's plenty of room for another fan. Not sure how you would mount a second fan though since there is only mounting posts for a single fan other than poking some holes in the top of the hood. Also, it is only set up for wiring one fan. I suppose if you know a little about electronics you could figure out how to wire a second fan.

I can't really feel a whole lot of heat coming from the vents when the lights are on so I suspect a second fan wouldn't do much.

I'm going to hold off on the 2nd fan for now. I was thinking I could make another adapter out of lexan and epoxy it to the underside of the lid if I ever did need one..

Mustangarrett
12/20/2016, 06:39 PM
I received my hood replacement today. It's much quieter. My original hood was at least thrice as loud. The new hood is still a bit louder than I would expect (inside the specs of a properly operating fan), but it's a entirely constant sound. No more intermittent soft grinding sound.

Blitz132
12/20/2016, 07:36 PM
So they just gave you a new hood and you didn't have to send your other one back?
On a side note, I installed my new fan yesterday.. can't even hear it. Took it back apart to make sure it was even working.. lol

skiingfast
12/22/2016, 02:13 AM
Curious. How do you mounted a taller fan? Are the stock screws extra long so it can accommodate a centimeter taller fan?

Scurvy Dawg
12/22/2016, 08:09 AM
Curious. How do you mounted a taller fan? Are the stock screws extra long so it can accommodate a centimeter taller fan?

I ended up cutting the mounting posts down with a dremmel and used a shorter screw.

Mustangarrett
12/22/2016, 09:54 AM
They sent the new hood with a return label.

Scurvy Dawg
12/22/2016, 10:19 AM

I misunderstood your question with my other post, but it still applies that you probably have to cut the mounting posts down.

But to answer your question, the thicker fans do not have a solid housing. The screw does not need to be as thick as the fan, in fact, you will probably need a shorter screw.

Blitz132
12/22/2016, 08:27 PM

The fan I bought has these rubber anti-vibration plugs that I used instead of screws on 3 of the holes. I will try to explain what I did. I didn't have to cut down my mounting posts at all with a 60mmx25mm fan..

1.) I used a piece of lexan about 3.5" x 3/5". I set the lexan in the very far corner where the center tab/lip is located and the back of the hood.
2.) I aligned one mounting hole in the hood with 1 mounting hole in the new fan. This if course will only work for one of the holes.
3.) I then marked the mounting post across from that point on the lexan.
4.) I then drew a 60mm circle based on mounting the new fan with the shared hole with the hood.
5.) You will then notice that the mark for the mounting post across from where the fan/lexan/mounting post will be attached is inside that circle.
6.) I drew a tab around that mark so I did not cut it out when cutting the circle out in the lexan.
7.) Cut the circle out without cutting where the 2nd mounting point to the hood would be.
8.) I then test fit the fan/lexan to the hood and marked the other 3 holes that need drilled to mount the lexan to the new 60mm fan.
9.) I then pushed the 3 rubber plugs through the lexan.
10.)I then mounted the lexan to the hood using a smaller screw. This is the hole that has the tab I didn't cut out when doing the circle.
11.) I pushed the plastic plugs through the fan and locked them in.
12.) Lastly I installed a screw in the hole that lines up the fan/lexan/ and the mounting tab in the hood.

I only used the .093 thick lexan and when I was done, the fan was no higher than that divider that is built into the hood.

skiingfast
12/24/2016, 03:12 PM
^^^ great reply. Thank you.

What would be a low decibel rating for a 50-60mm fan?

Blitz132
12/24/2016, 07:04 PM
Stock is about 36ish. Below 20 would be optimal.. I would just make sure the flow is 12 or more..

Scurvy Dawg
12/25/2016, 05:37 PM
^^^ great reply. Thank you.

What would be a low decibel rating for a 50-60mm fan?

The fan I bought was rated at about 10 decibels compared to close to 30 for the stock fan. You literally cannot hear my fan unless you put your ear to the vents. The key is to find a fan with similar CFM at a lower RPM.

skiingfast
12/25/2016, 06:48 PM
Stock is about 36ish. Below 20 would be optimal.. I would just make sure the flow is 12 or more..

The fan I bought was rated at about 10 decibels compared to close to 30 for the stock fan. You literally cannot hear my fan unless you put your ear to the vents. The key is to find a fan with similar CFM at a lower RPM.

Thanks. I'll keep looking I came across a few but they fall in about 25Dba so I'll keep looking.

Blitz132
12/25/2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks. I'll keep looking I came across a few but they fall in about 25Dba so I'll keep looking.
Check out skurvy & my previous posts in this thread.. we list a couple that are what you're looking for.. all of them should be under $20 on ebay/amazon

Scurvy Dawg
12/26/2016, 02:24 PM

Also keep in mind, that alot of the higher end 60mm fans will come with a 3rd wire. I think this wire is for monitoring the fan rpm. For your use, just leave the 3rd wire unconnected.

skiingfast
12/26/2016, 03:22 PM
Also keep in mind, that alot of the higher end 60mm fans will come with a 3rd wire. I think this wire is for monitoring the fan rpm. For your use, just leave the 3rd wire unconnected.

Isn't the 3rd wire the grounding wire?

skiingfast
12/26/2016, 03:24 PM
skurvy

I looked at the synthe fans. But what is a Skurvy is that a spell check error?

Blitz132
12/26/2016, 03:56 PM
I looked at the synthe fans. But what is a Skurvy is that a spell check error?
Lol it's one of the people posting in this thread..

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Blitz132
12/26/2016, 03:57 PM
Scurvy is the correct spelling of his name .

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

skiingfast
02/20/2017, 01:59 AM
You who got the Silenx 60mm fans. Did it have a short cable, 4" and was that a problem?

And is it correct to assume you just soldered the wires together?

What did you do with the extra wires, just tape them off?

Scurvy Dawg
02/20/2017, 01:14 PM
You who got the Silenx 60mm fans. Did it have a short cable, 4" and was that a problem?

And is it correct to assume you just soldered the wires together?

What did you do with the extra wires, just tape them off?

I just cut the wire from the old fan and spliced the end that connects to the hood to the wires that came with the fan. The third wire I just cut close to the fan and put some electrical tape on the end. No soldering for me.

Smoke Inator
02/20/2017, 01:32 PM
The third wire is used to transmit the RPM speed of the fan back to the PC motherboard and not needed in our setups

skiingfast
02/20/2017, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys.

I also found a fan for sale on ebay for $7.50
GTD 50x50x10
20CFM
16Dba
3,000RPM

It also says
15CFM
18Dba
4,500 RPM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-10mm-12V-Cooling-Case-Fan-DC-PC-Computer-3Pin-5010-50x50x10mm-3D-/182320143563?hash=item2a73209ccb:g:KvoAAOSw4shYBz9u

JOSEA42
11/02/2017, 05:59 PM
Bought it on Amazon during the past 30 days or so.

Is this b/c new lights in 32 gal. models run cooler and no longer require an exhaust fan?

I was looking for a fan when I saw one on my fish shop's BioCube.

Is this built-in - or not built-in - based on how new the model is?

Smoke Inator
11/04/2017, 03:43 PM
the BC32 hood had a fan but the original intent of this thread was to find one that was quieter and/or more powerful especially when putting in better lights