PDA

View Full Version : 29 Gal breakdown, mod pics and rebuild with no money.

kr8om
08/24/2016, 08:51 PM
At one time I had 15 tanks, 7 were reef tanks, and I still have a 1,800ish gallon Koi pond. Sooooooo, I was just gifted a 29 bio cube from a friend that liked mine so much he got into the hobby, but since had to move and gave it to me. I still have thousands of dollars worth of chems and equipment too. I'm starting fresh at lvl one again and haven't even put cured live rock in it yet. I started the tank up a few days back and I've already had to tare down do to One broken thermostat I found, Cynobacteria out break due to his old sand that I found 5 dead and slimy snails in, I found a card board box from a heater in the back when I scrapped the black paint of the back. So I am breaking it down and cleaning the sand, going rimless, and modding up the hood lights and making a cool little temp led work light. I had some old acrylic from a sump build, and I had some extra LEDs from an old 30 Gl, and the mounting bracket is from a 400 watt MH. I used a hair dryer to melt the acrylic and had it wrapped in damp paper towels and used 2 heavy duty clamps with wood to brace both ends when I twisted it. Then a wet washcloth to cool it back to hardness, then silly coned the leds to the acrylic and held in place with small clamps. I'll be posting pics of the rim removal and the hood remodel, and I like off the wall DIY ideas too. Post your pics if you did something cool and free.

kr8om
08/25/2016, 03:57 PM
Rim removal and clean up. Not too bad, just a little dremel cutting with a thin stainless steel ruler, I slid it between the rim and glass as not to hit the glass with dremel, then pulled it off ever so slowly and carefully. With a new razor blade I started scraping in long steady strides. And I found about 3 inches of old nasty detritus hidden away in the back baffles.

Vinny Kreyling
08/25/2016, 04:59 PM
Silicone is NOT recommended as an adhesive for acrylic.
Otherwise it looks good.