PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Setup

Rowdeus
08/24/2016, 09:12 PM
I am new to using a calcium reactor and having a couple issues getting the PH down in the reactor. I have watch videos on youtube.com that have stated I need to get the PH down in the reactor to about 6.8-6.6. I have been trying to use the bubble counter and the suggestions from the videos to start about 60 bubbles a minute. But the lowest I can't get the PH below 7.2 at the lowest. I don't have any leaks so I am hot sure what to do. Should I just disregard the bubble count and just let the controller take care of the CO2? I assume the more I open that up the more pressure I put in the reactor. Will that cause a issue? Need some help on what to do.

Breadman03
08/25/2016, 04:38 AM
How fast is your effluent coming out?

I don't know how your reactor is set up, but I bet you'll find some good info here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368618).

Rowdeus
08/25/2016, 11:24 AM
I am doing 30 drip a minute right now. I will check the article out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.Eymann
08/25/2016, 01:31 PM
You sure you correctly calibrated your pH probe? Using 4 and 7 not 7 and 10 solutions.

Bpb
08/25/2016, 03:37 PM
You absolutely do not HAVE to get the reactor ph down that low. Media will melt at a much higher ph. It just depends on what your demand is. My reactor ph is holding steady at 7.5 and it's melting the media and keeping my dKH at 7.8-7.9 at all times. Hasn't budged in months. Your goal should be to keep the solenoid from cycling on and off all day and instead to keep the co2 running steady at all times. As your demand increases, reduce the ph of the reactor to dissolve more media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinny Kreyling
08/25/2016, 05:03 PM
http://reef.diesyst.com/
Read this it will answer any & all your questions.

hans24hrs
08/28/2016, 07:34 PM
Vinny kreyling that was a great article, thank you for posting

Vinny Kreyling
08/29/2016, 09:02 AM
Glad to be of assistance, many have helped me along the way.

otimer
08/29/2016, 09:33 AM
For your reference and you can follow the procedure.

1. Check the accuracy of the pH controller
2. Different tip size pushes different bubble size, thus the bpm is only visual reference for adjustment
3. Too much CO2 causes frequent on-off and pH undershiting
4. Observe pH with gradual increse of bpm (10 minute interval)
5. I'm using Caribe Sea ARM which is soluble in a pH range of 6.5~6.7

Good luck!!

hkgar
08/29/2016, 02:28 PM
Do you have a dual stage reactor? What is the bubble pressure? You can increase the pressure which increases the size of the bubble so each bubble introduces more CO2

Idal305
08/29/2016, 07:41 PM
http://reef.diesyst.com/
Read this it will answer any & all your questions.

👍🏼 thank you very much.

Rowdeus
10/03/2016, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Skim
10/04/2016, 10:52 AM
Another factor is the type of reactor you have. I have a Korallin and discovered unit runs much better with the fine also known as Original ARM, because the Korallin is considered a slow upflow and the Coarse is made for High Flow units. The other thing I learned when I spoke with Carib Sea is ARM will start to dissolve at a PH of 8.2.

hkgar
10/04/2016, 01:18 PM
Another factor is the type of reactor you have. I have a Korallin and discovered unit runs much better with the fine also known as Original ARM, because the Korallin is considered a slow upflow and the Coarse is made for High Flow units. The other thing I learned when I spoke with Carib Sea is ARM will start to dissolve at a PH of 8.2.

Are sure they said 8.2? That is higher than NSW!

Rowdeus
10/10/2016, 12:02 PM
I found I did have a sight CO2 leak. I used some Teflon tape and that stopped it. I have no issue getting the PH to whatever I want now. I have it running at 7.2PH and I can keep a constant stream running from the effluent end. I have having issues with it clogging with a slow drip at lower ph.

biecacka
10/10/2016, 12:09 PM
I am running mine around 7.0 and 6.95. Slow melt of the media, but my reactor keeps kicking on and off? I assume over time this is unneeded wear and tear in the regulator? I have a low demand in the tank now as it's mostly frags to grow out. Suggestions.

Corey

hkgar
10/10/2016, 01:44 PM
I am running mine around 7.0 and 6.95. Slow melt of the media, but my reactor keeps kicking on and off? I assume over time this is unneeded wear and tear in the regulator? I have a low demand in the tank now as it's mostly frags to grow out. Suggestions.

Corey

I assume you are using a controller for the ph? If so, what do yu have the OFF ph set at. Once bubbles and pressure are set the ph sould stay a a very constant level with a bit of fluctuation. Here is my ph over the last 24 hours.

http://www.reeftronics.net/graphns.php?probe=03&period=day&member=garyk

biecacka
10/10/2016, 02:04 PM
Mine kicks on at 7.0 and turns off at 6.95. But it kicks off and on very frequently, is that a cause for concern?

Corey

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

gus6464
10/10/2016, 02:18 PM

Corey

Regulator has nothing do with the solenoid. If you don't want the solenoid to kick on and off as much you can decrease effluent. There are a couple of different way to do this.

biecacka
10/10/2016, 02:21 PM
I don't mind it. Just wasn't sure if the constant use could be damaging.

Corey

hkgar
10/10/2016, 02:47 PM
Mine kicks on at 7.0 and turns off at 6.95. But it kicks off and on very frequently, is that a cause for concern?

Corey

Set the control to turn off at 6.3, then adjust bubble rate and/or PSI so it stays constant at the ph level you want.