PDA

View Full Version : Gramma loreto nest

ThRoewer
08/26/2016, 02:40 AM
Tuesday I moved the male and one of the females of my 3 Gramma from the sump tank to the main tank - the second female escaped the hook and is now super careful and doesn't go near the hook, regardless how well it is baited and how hungry she may be.
So today, when I saw her going into a small cave inside a rock I quickly took it out in the hope to get her with it, but she escaped again.
Though upon closer inspection the cave turned out to be the male's nest where he collected all the Chaetomorpha strands accumulated he could find. And in the Chaetomorpha were a few whitish lumps that turned out to be eggs.
I placed the whole nest into the larva trap in the hope to keep the eggs that that had not yet died off alive:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WOrMF3XSvYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately my rotifer culture crashed last week ... like always, just when you may need it :headwally:

eastlake
08/26/2016, 06:33 AM
Congrats on the eggs! Following along to see if these litte buggers hatch out.

OrionN
08/29/2016, 12:49 PM
good luck

D-Nak
08/29/2016, 02:36 PM
Congrats! Best of luck.

If I hadn't crashed my rotifer culture as well, I would've offered you some. I can't seem to keep mine alive for the long term. I've ordered too many batches from Reed already.

ThRoewer
08/29/2016, 02:40 PM
All the eggs died off. Though I got a look at some larva that got popped out and they are definitely larger than Marine Betta larva - it shouldn't be too hard to raise them.

ThRoewer
08/29/2016, 02:45 PM
... I can't seem to keep mine alive for the long term. ...

That's why I dumped them in the end when I was breeding clownfish. For clownfish and especially percula and ocellaris you really don't need rotifers.

OrionN
09/10/2016, 05:20 AM
Congrats! Best of luck.

If I hadn't crashed my rotifer culture as well, I would've offered you some. I can't seem to keep mine alive for the long term. I've ordered too many batches from Reed already.
When I was raising clowns, I had two going at any time. I restart one every few weeks. I just dump them into my reef tank when I re-setup the culture.